Should I shut down this card?

Options
So, have 4 cards 0% paying off debt totalling around 8.5k.

Have 1 Capital One Card with £1000 limit 35% interest - it doesn't have anything on it.

Do I close it or not? I'm currently building emergency savings fun, if anything else goes wrong with car I won't be able to pay for it in cash as I'm not quite there with the fund.

It would have to go on a credit card.

I want to close the Capital One card as I cannot (categorically) be trusted not to spend in it. But part of me worries that I'll get caught short. But I sort of would rather get caught short than resort to this card.
Money money money.

Debt
Dec 2016: [STRIKE]£25,158.71[/STRIKE] £21,999.99

#28 Pay off debt in 2017 £3803.55

Comments

• Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    So, have 4 cards 0% paying off debt totalling around 8.5k.

Have 1 Capital One Card with £1000 limit 35% interest - it doesn't have anything on it.

Do I close it or not? I'm currently building emergency savings fun, if anything else goes wrong with car I won't be able to pay for it in cash as I'm not quite there with the fund.

It would have to go on a credit card.

I want to close the Capital One card as I cannot (categorically) be trusted not to spend in it. But part of me worries that I'll get caught short. But I sort of would rather get caught short than resort to this card.
    You answered your own question twice in the last paragraph.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Shutting the card doesn't really address the problem of why you're in debt (ie you can't be trusted to spend on the credit card every penny you can get you hands on) and may cause you more problems in the future if your car needs an expensive repair which isn't covered by your emergency fund, even if you've been good at resisting temptation and not spend on the credit card.

Suggest you keep it and use it to practise your willpower and resistance to temptation - even if you have a relapse, the low credit limit means the damage isn't too great...
  • abby1234519
    abby1234519 Posts: 1,961 Forumite
    Options
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    Shutting the card doesn't really address the problem of why you're in debt (ie you can't be trusted to spend on the credit card every penny you can get you hands on) and may cause you more problems in the future if your car needs an expensive repair which isn't covered by your emergency fund, even if you've been good at resisting temptation and not spend on the credit card.

Suggest you keep it and use it to practise your willpower and resistance to temptation - even if you have a relapse, the low credit limit means the damage isn't too great...

I removed all details from paypal and amazon for example, it's not set up with any online account which stops me from just spending. I have to get it out of the locked tin etc, you know little things to give you extra time to think about what you are doing!

Maybe I'll keep it open and stick it in a block of water and freeze it.

My willpower is non existent. It's an absolute daily struggle to keep spending under control. That makes it sound like I don't want to get out of debt, I just have issues with money. But working on it!
    Money money money.

Debt
    Dec 2016: [STRIKE]£25,158.71[/STRIKE] £21,999.99

#28 Pay off debt in 2017 £3803.55
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    cut it up.
    You'll find an emergency otherwise.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Can you give it to a parent or someone you trust implicitly to keep safe. That way you can't spend on it but if your car goes bang then it's still there. As soon as you have an emergency fund CUT IT UP and close it!
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport