PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A Simpler Life 2018

Options

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) I love simple living, by temperament and also by necessity. Such as the chronic health problems limiting the amount of energy for everything, including wage-earning, which limits funds which limit - shopping!

Gawd, but I detest this time of year. I'm as fond of time off work with family and friends (and big dinners and the odd sherbert) as the next woman, but I hate, loathe, detest and abhor to the very core of my being, greed, wastefulness and environmental vandalism.

This year, as on other years, family and a few close friends are getting consumable and/ or pre-loved items from charity shops. We do this overtly, principally with books and some clothes.

One of the very best things I ever did was give away my TV. In 1987. And there was a lot less carpy telly about back then, but it was still boring me witless. You can also happily give up listening to The News on TV and radio and still be well-informed but without the several times daily drama-fest of woe. It greatly adds to calmness and simplicity.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Shropshirelass
    Options
    If you don't mind, I'm another who would like to join you in the quest for a more simple life.

Like Jackyann, I change into 'all-fall-down' clothes in the house to save the decent things. I also always wear an apron for cooking/washing up. As a result I have clothes in different categories, but mostly very old! I try to avoid family photos now, as the same outfits were appearing year in out. (I get away with it now because I take the photos). I lost a bit of weight recently, and put tucks in the waistline of most of my skirts and trousers. Blouses got ties to gather them at the back. I'm now thinking of making some skirts myself.

I do cook from scratch, grow salad, tomatoes and herbs in pots and planters (we have thick clay soil here I struggle to work with. I plan meals and limit shopping days to avoid temptation.

I think I need to take more advantage of the place I live, by (walking) visiting library, park, canalside walk, getting more involved with something local. ??what??
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    Options
    Very thought provoking. I have massively downsized the amount of stuff we have in the house over the last couple of years. When I buy things now I try and take the time to choose things that will add some sort of value to my life.

I love the idea of spending my money on "doing rather than having". I am struggling at the moment juggling two jobs and I know that if we could cut our outgoings a little then I wouldnt have to work as many hours and life would be a lot happier.

Will be following.
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    SimpleLiving, I read your opening post with a dropped jaw, it was like you were in my head and just reading and transcribing my thoughts! Thank you for starting such a great thread. I'm in and am subscribing. Looking forward to doing this with other like-minded people.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Im subscribing too. Love the idea of a simple life and im working towards it.
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    Isn't this a lovely thread?
    Lame Wolf, I know that you have a disability, and understand.
    I too wear an apron in the kitchen. Last year I got a 'florist's' apron as a gift. Not sure why florists wear them but it covers up a lot. It has cross over straps that you pull over your head, so no tapes to tie. Suits me well as a shoulder problem means I can't tie an apron behind my back. I used some cotton from my stash to copy the pattern.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I like this thread. I have had a much more simple life the past few years as my husband and I have both have had health problems. We have decluttered our home a lot using the KonMari method and minimalist ideas.

I have been a lot more spendy this past few months however so a new year and a new start would really help me.:)
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,249 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I've subscribed too. Since losing both of my in-laws close together in 2015, work-life stress for both of us and me dropping from full-time commuting work to part-time local work Have naturally led us to a simpler way of life.

We too have an allotment, DH makes his own beer & wines, I make cakes, jams & chutneys, 99% of our cooking is from scratch and we rarely watch tv. We both have too many clothes and enough other hobbies to keep us busy!
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Great to see so many like-minded people ,and if it helps to stop ans stare for awhile instead of rushing around like a thing possessed then its all to the good

I have found that this year as my DGS are now out of the age of toy buying its so much easier No big bulky things to wrap :) and no latest must have toy that all their friends have.

My DGS have all got either a jumper and a small box of smellies from wilkos or PJ bottoms (for some reason none of them wear a top of their PJs) and now you can buy bottoms only its so much cheaper as well :) Less paper waste as well when it comes to wrapping One of the boys yesterday asked if I would make him some melting moment biscuits for Christmas as they are his favourite and normally a plate vanishes in seconds when I take them around to their house so I shall find a nice box and make him some just for him :).

The youngest one loves peppermint creams do I shall be making him some as well. My DD is pleased she no longer has piles of plastic tat in the house and its becoming a more adult place to live (her youngest is thirteen and a half now )

I don't grow anything myself outside as I have a gardener who does my little patch at the back of the house, but I do grow my own herbs at times on the window ledge of my conservatory which helps a bit and I have a pot of chives that are great for cut and come again :)

Cutting back on things doesn't mean doing without its just changing a way of living I knit quite a bit and although I do watch certain things on TV I also know where the on/off button is and haven't become a slave to it I would rather listen to a drama on the wireless while I knit in the afternoon :) As long as I have some decent coffee to drink I am a happy bunny.I do lead a very busy life ,even though I retired in 1995, and often find that my saturdays are the best time for me to relax in doors as the rest of the week I am flying around doing so many hobbies and clubs :) But I am all for staying away from shops as I really can't be bothered with them especially at this time of the year. No one looks very happy while doing Christmas shopping at all so I stay out of them if I can :).Definitely a simple quiet life for me I think :):):)
    JackieO xx
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Can I join the Simple Life bandwagon? I have over the past few years taken pleasure from home cooking and preserving, and I look for any opportunity to have a declutter session. As I am married to the world’s fattest squirrel (don’t buy one gadget when you can buy two, it might come in handy) I have to be discreet about chucking stuff out but sometimes I catch him at the right moment and manage to collect a load for the recycling centre.

Simple pleasures don’t cost much - good quality freshly ground coffee made in a proper coffee machine (an investment that soon pays for itself) after a walk in the fields with our border collie are pleasant routines. As is sharing food and laughs with friends. Designer stuff, celebrity magazines, reality TV shows, people posting inane comments on Twitface - you can shove them where the sun doesn’t shine.
    One life - your life - live it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport