Everyday Ordinary Man Approaching Full Retirement at 59.

Options

Comments

• fatbeetle
    fatbeetle Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 27 November 2017 at 1:07AM
    Options
    Now down to my last 5 working days. I've been very flattered to the response of my colleagues to my leaving, but am committed and will go.

The nice thing is that I will officially be on holiday for the first five weeks of my retirement, so will still have a wage coming in until mid-January. I'm still saying I'm retiring at 58, even though I will be 59 by the time of the actual retirement day!!

The next month will be spent organising our move back to the UK..
    “If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and who weren't so lazy.”
  • sukysue
    sukysue Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fatbeetle that is brilliant !
    I am not going to worry about the money I know we have more than enough even with the dire financial projection in the budget. I feel like this ....no amount of money is worth this precious time we have now. I feel like we have invested in ourselves and we are so enjoying life.Free at last !
    Good luck with the retirement , you will feel a huge array of emotions this week but you will be fine I am sure.
    xXx-Sukysue-xXx
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    Woohoo, that is great fatbeetle, the last week.:beer: I can only dream what that must feel like.:(
  • joansgirl
    joansgirl Posts: 17,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    fatbeetle wrote: »
    Now down to my last 5 working days. I've been very flattered to the response of my colleagues to my leaving, but am committed and will go.

The nice thing is that I will officially be on holiday for the first five weeks of my retirement, so will still have a wage coming in until mid-January. I'm still saying I'm retiring at 58, even though I will be 59 by the time of the actual retirement day!!

The next month will be spent organising our move back to the UK..

Well done! :T I wish you well and hope all goes to plan with the move :)
    sukysue wrote: »
    Fatbeetle that is brilliant !
    I am not going to worry about the money I know we have more than enough even with the dire financial projection in the budget. I feel like this ....no amount of money is worth this precious time we have now. I feel like we have invested in ourselves and we are so enjoying life.Free at last !
    Good luck with the retirement , you will feel a huge array of emotions this week but you will be fine I am sure.

You are so right. Me and hubby saved as much as we could for years...and then he went and died at 51 :( So, enjoy what you've got while you're still able, there's no pockets in shrouds.
    floraison.gif
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...
  • sukysue
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear what happened to your darling husband Joansgirl.
    Thank you so much for your good wishes , we are very happy I just wish it was the same for you and your darling Husband . I think you can only do what he would want you to have done and be as happy as possible and try your best to live as good a life as you can without him . I am sure it is what he would have wanted , hugs my dear .
    xXx-Sukysue-xXx
  • fatbeetle
    Options
    Thanks to all for your good wishes.
    joansgirl wrote: »
    You are so right. Me and hubby saved as much as we could for years...and then he went and died at 51 :( So, enjoy what you've got while you're still able, there's no pockets in shrouds.

Thanks for sharing that, very brave and kind of you.

It's been something that's been on my mind for some time. I've had some bereavement myself over the past year. My mother's death was not unexpected, she was 83 and had cancer for some time.

My uncle's death, (he who was a major role model for me,) came out of the blue, and was shocking. His death was a major kick in the pants to start making the most of whatever time I am lucky to have left.

Also, as me and the wife got together when I was 43 and she was 38, and I have worked extended shifts on 7 day a week roster, we have not really had the chance to enjoy each other's company as much as we would like.

Roll on my final shift this Saturday!
    “If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and who weren't so lazy.”
  • Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,180 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Not long to go now fatbeetle! I too have a philosophy of “one day” is here so do it now. My first husband and I had so many plans - a cruise for example - but we didn’t get round to it, and then suddenly he was too ill. I’ve been sooooo lucky to find my second Mr Right, he also lost his wife age 51. He has the same outlook so we’re very busy spending the kids’ inheritance and doing exactly as we please (which is often not a lot!).
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    fatbeetle wrote: »

How many days now??!!

have a wonderful time planning what to do next...........or plan to do simply nowt- the choice will be yours and not inflicted by outside influences such as that four letter word: work!
    Enjoy
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • joansgirl
    joansgirl Posts: 17,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    sukysue wrote: »
    I am so sorry to hear what happened to your darling husband Joansgirl.
    Thank you so much for your good wishes , we are very happy I just wish it was the same for you and your darling Husband . I think you can only do what he would want you to have done and be as happy as possible and try your best to live as good a life as you can without him . I am sure it is what he would have wanted , hugs my dear .

Thanks for that sukysue. I do try to enjoy what I have, I am very comfortable and I could have stopped working years ago but.....that would have involved me using the money I got when he died (4 pension payouts, 12 months basic pay tax free, 12 months Bereavement Benefit, Death Grant....) to live on and I didn't want to do that as the money feels....I don't know...tainted? I wouldn't have it if he hadn't died, it feels like blood money.

So it got stashed into as many higher interest accounts as possible, I continued working and then in April this year, out of the blue, one of my pensions paid out and gave me a lump sum as well as a small monthly pension. That lump sum added to the interest the initial capital had earned since he died will allow me to maintain a good standard of living until my state pension kicks in without me using the initial capital.

I know he wouldn't want me to feel like this about the money but I can't help it, it just feels wrong for me to spend it on myself. So, it'll stay stashed unless I have a big expense I suppose.
    floraison.gif
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...
  • sukysue
    Options
    As long as you are happy doing that then it is your decision. I bet if your Darling husband was here now he would be very happy with how you are dealing with your situation. I can only applaud you for your high values and principles and the money will always be there for you . The main thing is it is there for you to use when you need it . You are safe financially and that is a huge weight off your shoulders this is just brilliant for you I am so glad for you .
    xXx-Sukysue-xXx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport