debt collectors wanting a cleared debt

Options
Hi. I had letter from a debt collector for £70 come through today which has surprised me. They have bought this debt from a company I haven't had any contact with for quite some time. As the years have rolled by I couldn't even tell you how long, but suffice to say they haven't been chasing me for this debt. In fact I've forgotten all about them until now. I'm sure this debt was paid but I haven't any paperwork to prove it. The only thing I can say is that although no paperwork has been kept I've always known who I'm in debt to and for how much, so I know that I've paid this debt off. I've emailed the debt collection agency to provide proof of debt and how it's been accrued. My question is: how much do they need to prove and what's the minimum they need to prove? I just can't see how this debt has arose after all this time. I know I paid it off but I'll be struggling to prove it! Any help guys?

Comments

• CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    If more than 6 years since the last payment, it will be statute barred.

If less, send them the 'prove it' template letter that you can find on this site (search the forum for it)

CK
    💙💛 💔
  • longtermplanner
    Options
    Check your credit file to see when you last paid, what the balance is and whether there has been a default registered : http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/check-free-credit-report?_ga=1.88108635.1301047759.1401450419.

Then wait for the reply to your letter. There isn't any point in speculating about what they might come back with and how you should respond now, wait and see what they do reply. That may clarify everything, but if it doesn't or you think they are wrong, come back here then.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    And for £70 they wont chase you for long, a couple of letters, maybe some calls, couple of weeks they will forget about you.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • whistle_pop
    Options
    So I emailed them and asked for proof of debt and how the debt has been run up and I have an email back from them asking to provide my first name and address, postcode and date of birth. This seems strange that they're asking for all this. They didn't need any of that when sending their first letter. They say it's for security purposes but I don't feel comfortable with giving out info if they don't already have it. I quoted their reference number on my email so surely they could deduce from that I am who I say I am? Any advice, I really don't want to be giving them any data they haven't already got?
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    No you don't want to be sending them that data. I would ignore that email and would send the prove it letter by post.
    Letter when you know nothing about about the debt - AKA "Prove it" letter
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • whistle_pop
    Options
    Thanks, thxy. Why would they be asking for this I wonder. I've had a read around and it seems they wouldn't need my date of birth. They're just a collection agency after all. And I addressed the email to the agent that's name was at the bottom of the letter, and yet the reply was from somebody else. Just a name and no job title.
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    In theory they are asking to check whether they are chasing the correct person, or another person with the same/similar name to you.

But that is not a reason to give them that information, they shouldn't be chasing if they are not confident you are the correct person and they may change the information on their records to match up to you.

With company emails it can be quite common for an email sent to someone's inbox to be replied to by another person.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • whistle_pop
    Options
    Thanks again. I will get that template filled in and sent off to them.I know it's only a small amount that can be paid off in instalments but I'm positive this debt was cleared off. The original creditor hasn't contacted me in a long time which says to me they also know it's been paid off otherwise I'd have known about it before now I'm sure.
  • Donury236
    Donury236 Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think this is possibly one of those 'scam' ones. What is the name of the collection company? There were scam ones going around where they got your details then did something like steal your identity etc.
  • whistle_pop
    Options
    Hi, donury236. I got two letters through the door the same day. One from the original creditor saying they've sold my debt on and the other from the debt collection agency under the name of Lowell Finance. I've dealt with Lowell before when I knew the debt was legit. But even with a letter from the original creditor I'm still sure I paid this off.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure