How would you stop cowboy builders before they cause problems?

Options

Comments

• no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    When I moved house the survey said -'get the ridge tiles fixed' mortar missing in places.
    After a few years, with a few chunks coming down I thought i'd better get something sorted.
    Had a couple of quotes, one about £750, and the other more like £150. I just thought the later too cheap. Though the former did have scaffolding put up.
    At the start everything look great, guy on the roof did more than I expected. The only thing - about six months later chunks of cement started to come down. 'Phoned the guy - not interested.
    Had an insurance surveyor in - for an internal problem - asked his opinion of the work, not impressed.
    'Phoned the guy again, wouldn't answer, but picked up after trying via mobile number!

Why the problem - believe, the cement in the centre of the bucket was okay, but that scraped off the bucket sides, wasn't mixed well enough.

Problem solved, by a handyman, who used a ladder - no problem since!!

It's just funny, all the number of small jobs the guy would've have got since!
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    no1catman wrote: »
    When I moved house the survey said -'get the ridge tiles fixed' mortar missing in places.
    After a few years, with a few chunks coming down I thought i'd better get something sorted.
    Had a couple of quotes, one about £750, and the other more like £150. I just thought the later too cheap. Though the former did have scaffolding put up.
    At the start everything look great, guy on the roof did more than I expected. The only thing - about six months later chunks of cement started to come down. 'Phoned the guy - not interested.
    Had an insurance surveyor in - for an internal problem - asked his opinion of the work, not impressed.
    'Phoned the guy again, wouldn't answer, but picked up after trying via mobile number!

Why the problem - believe, the cement in the centre of the bucket was okay, but that scraped off the bucket sides, wasn't mixed well enough.

Not a good situation - I fully agree there. But it raises points. Your post suggests you chose purely based on price. What checks did you do on the roofer? What Specification did you draw up? What check did you do on his bag of cement looking at the date stamp? Why were you not looking for an electric mixer? What did you inspect and monitor? You will get my drift here. People need to be savvy, street wise, and competent before engaging people to work on their homes. If they do not they run the risk of being taken advantage of.
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    no1catman wrote: »

Thanks for sharing your experience.

With hindsight, what do you think would have helped to avoid this? If you could now do anything you wanted to avoid this happening to other people, what would you do?
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    teneighty wrote: »
    Ah, the client who had an extension built once and is now an expert in project management. Don't you just love them?

What's the point of slogging your guts out at college for years and building up decades of experience? Any fool can do it.

I assume your second comment is as sarcastic as your first one.

I have never yet encountered a builder who has spent years at college. If this was a requirement, then it would solve most of the problems consumer have with cowboys.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well builders, joiners, plumbers,etc do go to college. Maybe you should ask what their qualifications are because you are correct, there is no legal requirement for them to do so but the paper qualified ones have. But again, that is no guarantee they are financially savvy. They could go bust half way through a contract.
    I agree a lot of the problems and why there are many cowboy builders is due to people wanting things done as cheaply as possible. With Internet and companies house you can do a lot of checking yourself. If there is no history I would not entertain using them. I can't understand why people have problems as there are so many good tradesmen out there. Go to the well established businesses. There is a reason they are well established.
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    Annie1960 wrote: »
    I assume your second comment is as sarcastic as your first one.

I have never yet encountered a builder who has spent years at college. If this was a requirement, then it would solve most of the problems consumer have with cowboys.

My comments were aimed at Mr R Sole, neither of us are "builders" but work on the professional side of the industry and probably both share the same exasperation at clients who have over inflated opinions of there own ability to manage a project.

As comeandgo quite rightly pointed out most building trades do spend many years at college and go through very vigorous training. One of the problems with the general public's understanding is there is no such trade as "builder". Most "general builders" should have a trade qualification, in my experience the best are carpenters although you get bricklayers, plasterers etc. Multi-trade operatives usually fulfill the old adage of jack of all trades master of none. But hey, if you find some random stranger off a dubious internet lead generating site with a string of glowing recommendations from other random strangers what could possibly go wrong? He might have been picking cabbages last week but this week he is a "builder". There are a few people on here who claim to be builders but I suspect they do not have a formal trade qualification.

With your project did you bother to ask your "architect" what his professional qualification was, get a copy of his professional indemnity insurance and check how long he had been trading? Did you ask your errant builder what his qualifications were and those of his sub-contractors? Did you check how long they had been trading? When you visited the previous jobs did you really understand what you were looking at or did it just look nice and tidy and the builder himself was nice?

Regulation is not the answer, just educating the public to make sure they follow the widely available advice or better still seek professional help.
  • martinsurrey
    martinsurrey Posts: 3,368 Forumite
    Options
    comeandgo wrote: »
    I can't understand why people have problems as there are so many good tradesmen out there.

Because they aren't the cheapest!

Last tradesman I appointed (on Wednesday), wasn't the cheapest, was recommended to me, its only a £3k contract, but I got all of his registration details, his insurance details, checked his VAT details, checked his companies house details (one man Ltd company outfit).

Cant guarantee that he'll do a good job, but I've done as much as I can to make sure he's not a fly by night. So far in life, I've been let down by tradesmen plenty, but never ripped off!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    teneighty wrote: »
    My comments were aimed at Mr R Sole, neither of us are "builders" but work on the professional side of the industry and probably both share the same exasperation at clients who have over inflated opinions of there own ability to manage a project.

tbf this is where I put the op too having seen a lot of their posts on this forum, a little knowledge can be very dangerous
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Furts wrote: »
    Not a good situation - I fully agree there. But it raises points. Your post suggests you chose purely based on price. What checks did you do on the roofer? What Specification did you draw up? What check did you do on his bag of cement looking at the date stamp? Why were you not looking for an electric mixer? What did you inspect and monitor? You will get my drift here. People need to be savvy, street wise, and competent before engaging people to work on their homes. If they do not they run the risk of being taken advantage of.

I think you might be being a tad unrealistic there. I can be generally savvy, get reccomendations, check details etc and be on the look out for "just too cheap" but to suggest that I ought to know how cement is mixed before I pay someone to put it on my house is ludicrous. That's why I'm paying someone else to do it!
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Checking the mix is a step too far. No one needs a control freak looking over their shoulder.

Trust goes a certain way and if that doesn't exist then the relationship is just as likely to break down or never get started.

Things do go wrong, the measure then is how it is dealt with.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure