help with heating and energy costs while on JSA?

Options

Comments

• Fiver29
    Fiver29 Posts: 18,620 Forumite
    Options
    I have a credit card that I don't want to use to get into debt if I can avoid it. I won't be disclosing that i've got one if I apply for a crisis loan. That is If I apply for a crisis loan, I only found out about them here today and it is amongst a few of the options i'll be considering.

So if you go for a crisis loan you're planning on fraudulently obtaining it by not revealing all relevant information?
    Moving onto a better place...Ciao :wave:
  • GobbledyGook
    Options
    Speak to your electricity provider. Some offer a social tariff to people who are spending a certain percentage of their income on fuel and are classed as being in fuel poverty. I'm not sure exactly how it works, I only know as someone mentioned it as a lifeline that had helped them at the toddler group recently.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    Your main problem seems to be that you have rented a whole house for yourself, which would've been extravagant even if you were working. Why not have a word with your LL and see whether you'd be allowed to have someone in to share or a lodger.

When is your lease up so that you can move to somewhere more appropriate?
  • chris1973
    chris1973 Posts: 965 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 November 2011 at 8:04PM
    Options
    I'm assuming you dont have babies or little kids around the house (sorry if i'm wrong in this assumption), and that there is only you or you and a partner to worry about and heat?

If this is the case, then forget trying to heat the entire house. I work full time and earn more than JSA, but even so, being single with 1 low income, I struggle to be able to afford to pay for comfortable heating in a 1 bedroom flat!, even to the point where 70% of my heating (when I do have to use it) comes from paraffin. (Yeah, we are slowly heading back to Dickensian times)

Your limited money will stretch far further if you just concentrate on heating you rather than the room / entire house. A 100 watt rated heated throw for example will run continuously on its highest setting for around 10 hours on just 1 unit of Electricity, and believe me, you will be more than warm enough under it on its half setting, even in mid winter.

This is by far the cheapest form of heating - personal heating. Virtually all other forms of Electric space heating are expensive, a two lamp halogen heater will use just under 1 unit an hour, a 2KW convector / fan heater / oil filled heater etc will guzzle 1 unit every 30 minutes!. If your property is badly insulated you may as well just put the heater out in the garden, because effectively trying to heat the air in a badly insulated / draughty room, is partly doing just that!.

Oil CH, as you have found, can be expensive and requires outlay. For now i'd leave that off until you are back in employment, and concentrate on more frugal ways of keeping warm. Putting the cost of the oil on a credit card, at a time when you dont have a good idea of when you could pay it off in full, is essentially a good way of starting the dreaded debt spiral and is a means to ruination, but good luck with that!.

I appreciate that some tasks such as showering and washing in a freezing cold bathroom will need some air space heating, but I personally just run the electric wall heater for 10 minutes in a morning and 10 mins at night for showering and then huddle under the heated throw or Electric Blanket during the evenings watching TV / when I go to bed. My bedroom is in a one hundred year old farmhouse over an unheated and wall-less car port so the room & floor temperature closely mirrors the outside temperature, but thanks to the blanket, i'm never freezing whilst asleep.

Non of these are ideal or luxury living obviously, but show me a compassionate energy company and a cheap tariff! - sadly both of those are well resigned to the history books, and unfortunately saving money and keeping warm on the cheap will take some effort, planning and change to achieve (even for those in employment who feel the cold and pinch of fuel poverty just as much as everybody else), but yes it can be done, and you can remain comfortable in return for a little inconvenience and the example of a heated throw will keep you warm all day for about 12p (assuming 12p / KWH tariff).

Unfortunately, there is no equiv of a cold / heating allowance for healthy single people of working age.
    "Dont expect anybody else to support you, maybe you have a trust fund, maybe you have a wealthy spouse, but you never know when each one, might run out" - Mary Schmich
  • skater_kat
    Options
    I have a credit card that I don't want to use to get into debt if I can avoid it. I won't be disclosing that i've got one if I apply for a crisis loan. That is If I apply for a crisis loan, I only found out about them here today and it is amongst a few of the options i'll be considering.

they have ways to find out if you have credit cards so don't lie about it.
  • duchesspink1
    duchesspink1 Posts: 150 Forumite
    edited 18 November 2011 at 6:23PM
    Options
    Speak to your electricity provider. Some offer a social tariff to people who are spending a certain percentage of their income on fuel and are classed as being in fuel poverty. I'm not sure exactly how it works, I only know as someone mentioned it as a lifeline that had helped them at the toddler group recently.
    Hi, I'd heard that too today and spoke to my electricity supplier who are reducing the repayment amount on my meter for me. That will help over the coming months.
    Your main problem seems to be that you have rented a whole house for yourself, which would've been extravagant even if you were working. Why not have a word with your LL and see whether you'd be allowed to have someone in to share or a lodger.

When is your lease up so that you can move to somewhere more appropriate?
    I fully intend to be in work by the time my lease is up. Yes I rented a 3 bedroom semi for myself and why wouldn't I when I had a job to move to etc. I've always lived in a house and didn't anticipate the job falling through when I arrived here. I wasn't going to go and rent a flat just in case. I supported myself with savings etc and didn't apply for HB etc when i first arrived here, I only started them in april this year. I've got an interview shortly and anticipate starting work soon (fingers crossed) I won't be able to take a lodger as its not allowable under my lease but like i said, hopefully I won't be needing to move house as i'll be working. I'm not intending to be on benefits for any longer than necessary.
    skater_kat wrote: »
    they have ways to find out if you have credit cards so don't lie about it.
    I haven't said that i'm going to apply for a crisis loan but if I did need to, then i'd make that decision at the time. I'm thinking i'm more inclined to put the oil onto the card and just deal with the repayments rather than apply for a social fund loan that i'm probably unlikely to get accepted for.
  • duchesspink1
    Options
    chris1973 wrote: »
    I'm assuming you dont have babies or little kids around the house (sorry if i'm wrong in this assumption), and that there is only you or you and a partner to worry about and heat?

If this is the case, then forget trying to heat the entire house. I work full time and earn more than JSA, but even so, being single with 1 low income, I struggle to be able to afford to pay for comfortable heating in a 1 bedroom flat!, even to the point where 70% of my heating (when I do have to use it) comes from paraffin. (Yeah, we are slowly heading back to Dickensian times)

Your limited money will stretch far further if you just concentrate on heating you rather than the room / entire house. A 100 watt rated heated throw for example will run continuously on its highest setting for around 10 hours on just 1 unit of Electricity, and believe me, you will be more than warm enough under it on its half setting, even in mid winter.

This is by far the cheapest form of heating - personal heating. Virtually all other forms of Electric space heating are expensive, a two lamp halogen heater will use just under 1 unit an hour, a 2KW convector / fan heater / oil filled heater etc will guzzle 1 unit every 30 minutes!. If your property is badly insulated you may as well just put the heater out in the garden, because effectively trying to heat the air in a badly insulated / draughty room, is partly doing just that!.

Oil CH, as you have found, can be expensive and requires outlay. For now i'd leave that off until you are back in employment, and concentrate on more frugal ways of keeping warm. Putting the cost of the oil on a credit card, at a time when you dont have a good idea of when you could pay it off in full, is essentially a good way of starting the dreaded debt spiral and is a means to ruination, but good luck with that!.

I appreciate that some tasks such as showering and washing in a freezing cold bathroom will need some air space heating, but I personally just run the electric wall heater for 10 minutes in a morning and 10 mins at night for showering and then huddle under the heated throw or Electric Blanket during the evenings watching TV / when I go to bed. My bedroom is in a one hundred year old farmhouse over an unheated and wall-less car port so the room & floor temperature closely mirrors the outside temperature, but thanks to the blanket, i'm never freezing whilst asleep.

Non of these are ideal or luxury living obviously, but show me a compassionate energy company and a cheap tariff! - sadly both of those are well resigned to the history books, and unfortunately saving money and keeping warm on the cheap will take some effort, planning and change to achieve (even for those in employment who feel the cold and pinch of fuel poverty just as much as everybody else), but yes it can be done, and you can remain comfortable in return for a little inconvenience and the example of a heated throw will keep you warm all day for about 12p (assuming 12p / KWH tariff).

Unfortunately, there is no equiv of a cold / heating allowance for healthy single people of working age.

when i was working fulltime, I had no problem at all affording oil heating for my home but being on benefits is a different matter. I won't intend on heating the whole house anyway and don't usually even when i'm working, (I had a 3 bed detatched to heat before) I have the hallway, living room and my bedroom radiator on normally. Now that i'm trying to conserve the energy, i'll be using a lower temp on the thermostat and heating less rooms.

I'm really grateful for your post, you put a lot of effort into it and I am thankful for your advice.

I really wanted to see if there was anything I was missing out on claiming and I can see that there is obviously nothing to help those on a low income or benefit unless you are in receipt of certain disability/pension/have children benefits.

Now that I know there is nothing that i'm missing out on, i'll plan for the winter and see what I can do.

I've found an oil company today that will deliver £100 worth of oil and that is much more manageable for me than £195 for a 300 litre minimum amount. Its a start for the tank and used wisely will give me heat and hot water and I can arrange a DD top up scheme that will mean i don't run out again over the winter.

its a weight off my mind today
  • duchesspink1
    Options
    Fiver29 wrote: »
    So if you go for a crisis loan you're planning on fraudulently obtaining it by not revealing all relevant information?

sometimes needs must fiver and if I was desperate for a crisis loan then yes I would not disclose that I had available credit on a card. After all, when i'm on benefits, the last thing i need is to run up debt at a high percentage apr when I don't need to.

I'm sure a crisis loan form doesn't ask if you have the ability to get an overdraft or bankloan does it? if that were the case then i'd find it shocking that the benefits office would expect people to take a bank loan etc and get into unrepayable debt. Would it not be fraudulent in your eyes to use the credit card knowing that I'd potentially be unable to pay it back at the required minimum amount?

like i've said before, I'm not here to be judged by anyone, people have to make decisions to get by and I don't judge anyone for any decisions they have to make.
    Today I have arranged a deal with my energy supplier, found an oil company that will deliver an affordable amount of oil to me and I don't think i'd need a crisis loan. I'd never heard of a crisis loan until yesterday when someone here talked about them and I can see that they are a lifeline for people when they are in need of emergency extra money.

Who knows, I may need one someday but hopefully i'll never be that much in need that i'll have to go that route.
  • Fiver29
    Fiver29 Posts: 18,620 Forumite
    Options
    sometimes needs must fiver and if I was desperate for a crisis loan then yes I would not disclose that I had available credit on a card. After all, when i'm on benefits, the last thing i need is to run up debt at a high percentage apr when I don't need to.

I'm sure a crisis loan form doesn't ask if you have the ability to get an overdraft or bankloan does it? if that were the case then i'd find it shocking that the benefits office would expect people to take a bank loan etc and get into unrepayable debt. Would it not be fraudulent in your eyes to use the credit card knowing that I'd potentially be unable to pay it back at the required minimum amount?

like i've said before, I'm not here to be judged by anyone, people have to make decisions to get by and I don't judge anyone for any decisions they have to make.
    Today I have arranged a deal with my energy supplier, found an oil company that will deliver an affordable amount of oil to me and I don't think i'd need a crisis loan. I'd never heard of a crisis loan until yesterday when someone here talked about them and I can see that they are a lifeline for people when they are in need of emergency extra money.

Who knows, I may need one someday but hopefully i'll never be that much in need that i'll have to go that route.

OMG, just when I think that nothing can shock me.

Needs are never that great that you have to contemplate committing a crime.
    Moving onto a better place...Ciao :wave:
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    baza52 wrote: »
    what crime?
    When filling in Form SF401 (Application for a Crisis Loan) Part 4 asks "Is there any other money you or your partner could use?" This could be from - a credit card, a loan or personal overdraft etc...

The crime is answering No then in Part 9 signing the declaration which warns that knowingly giving information that is inaccurate or incomplete could lead to prosecution.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure