Cashing US Dollar Cheques

Options
Hi,
I'm having an issue with cashing cheques in US dollars and I wondered if anyone could help, please? I had a good look through the forum but all the posts that relate to this seem to be prior to May 2017 when most banks stopped accepting them.

I have two cheques totalling $1400 and my bank no longer accepts them. I have a very poor credit rating after a recent redundancy so am unable to get an account, other than a basic one, so I am limited in changing to a bank that offers a US dollar service and even then, I am struggling to find any that do.

Can anyone make any suggestions of what I could do? I don't mind paying extra to convert or cash - I just really need to the money that is tied up in these cheques. There is no other way for the company to pay me (Amazon) so the only solution is to find a way to cash them.

Thanks

Comments

• hrbooth20
    Options
    Is anyone able to advise at all?
    Thank you x
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The most recent thread (it was still active yesterday so should be easy for you to find) suggests that the Halifax are still accepting USD cheques, albeit with the potential for it to take many weeks to clear.

But the real answer, as always, is to apply pressure on the sender to enter the 21st century and make an electronic payment (and its clearly nonsense for Amazon to suggest they can't do this when it's the basis of their entire business model).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure