Probate: how long after assets being collected will it take for inheritance?

Options

Comments

• susancs
    susancs Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Options
    So how long would you expect it to take?

We have been next of kin and named in wills on 3 occassions where the solicitor dealt with the matter (all straight forward) and it took about a year after death. We were executors of a will and did the probate ourselves (deceased was in a care home and court of protection held funds) and it took about 6 months.
  • Tuesday_Tenor
    Tuesday_Tenor Posts: 998 Forumite
    edited 29 April 2016 at 3:40PM
    Options
    So how long would you expect it to take?

Depends on so many factors. In this case, the unknown outstanding factoirs are inland revenue checks and possible hidden debts, for which the solicitors will advertise in the Gazette.
    I have received next to no information, the latest I heard at beginning of April was that probate was granted, savings had been cashed in and that inland revenue were checking if any taxes were due.

Seems to me you have received quite specific info, at a reasonable point in time.

An executor who is the family member who has dealth with the deceased finances for some time can be 99% certain there are no hidden debts. The solicitors who did not previously know the deceased's life or finances cannot be so certain, and will wait for 6 months after the Gazette notice.

So the 6-12 months mentioned in responses is the correct guidance.

In your case, assume probate was granted in March. If you have heard nothing by beginning of Oct it would be reasonable to follow up on previous notification from solicitor, to ask if IR checks are completed, likely timescale for final discribution of estate, and if not imminent, whether an interim distribution can be made.

Note that if all the beneficiaries keep pestering the solicitors individually, the responses will clock up more on the solicitor's bill to the estate. So I suggest any such correspondence comes from all 4 of you to keep it to a minimum..

Sorry if thats not what you wanted to hear.
    Remember, it'll still be sooner than if you uncle died in December 2016.
  • justwondered00
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies I will just have to wait and see. It's the not knowing that's driving me crazy lol every time the postman comes I'm wondering if i will receive the cheque!
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    As an "amateur" executor ,I have made interim distributions of ~ 90% of my late mother's estate about 6 months after death and ~ 2 months after probate. I am holding the rest as cash to cover any unexpected bills that might arise. I have set a target date of August to complete the distribution.
    My siblings think that I'm being over cautious because my sister held POA for my mother for the last couple of years and paid/set up all the major bills herself.
    Have you published the statutory notices?
  • konark
    konark Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies I will just have to wait and see. It's the not knowing that's driving me crazy lol every time the postman comes I'm wondering if i will receive the cheque!

Don't hold your breath, you'll be lucky to get anything before Xmas.

Family executors can act much quicker because they may know for sure there are no debts or skeletons in the cupboard. A professional doesn't have this inside knowledge and must be cautious in distributing the estate.
  • toby1970
    Options
    I was just wondering how long it took for the OP to get their inheritance. I am in the exact same boat almost exactly a year later. I haven't had any correspondence from the solicitor since January although my sister emailed them herself back in May and they are in the process of Granting Probate and after that they were creating accounts of all monies due to beneficiaries but nothing since!

It's frustrating to hear nothing and like the OP every day I check the post for any new news.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    toby1970 wrote: »
    I was just wondering how long it took for the OP to get their inheritance. I am in the exact same boat almost exactly a year later. I haven't had any correspondence from the solicitor since January although my sister emailed them herself back in May and they are in the process of Granting Probate and after that they were creating accounts of all monies due to beneficiaries but nothing since!

It's frustrating to hear nothing and like the OP every day I check the post for any new news.
    I would have already made a formal complaint to the solicitor about the delay.
  • toby1970
    Options
    I emailed them again this morning.... more waiting. It's not about the money either, it's more the not knowing. There may not be any money left after paying the legal fees, debts etc but I just want to know what's happening.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    But there is a will, surely it would not make any difference if long lost relatives were to appear as they are not named in the will?
    There can still b claims from dependant relatives which is why a solicitor will wait at least six months. Laybexecutors can ignore this but they do it at their peril. The same applie for statutory notices for any unknown debts.
  • eddyinfreehold
    Options
    I have looked on this it shows the date if death and a probate number but not date that probate was granted.

I'm just wondering if you have read the Government 'Find a Will' web page correctly .... it's not obviously intuitive. My apologies if you have.

Once you have found the person by surname and year of death, you will see there are 8 columns, namely Surname, First Name, Date of Probate, Probate Number, Date of Death, Document Type, Registry (ie Probate Office), and 'add to basket'

I have never seen a probate number without a date of probate also given a few weeks after the process. It may be that you actually looked as the site was being updated and all the information is there now. Under 'document type' you will normally see the box filled in with 'grant and will' . Anyone (for a small fee) can receive copies of a will and also a copy of the Grant of Probate. If you tick the 'add to basket' you then have to register with the website using an email address and a password and payment details from a card. Once ordered and paid for, it takes about 2-3 weeks to come into your inbox as an email and pdf attachment. This you open with your password. The file stays open for a week or two and you can download it and keep it for good either as an ecopy or printed out.

I didn't find the site particularly easy to work until I got the knack, but once I received the files it was well worth it. I had to download a copy of my mother's will and Probate from 1970 and also her mother and father's (from 1982 and 1955) because of a complicated problem related to Estate Duty, a defunct trust, and my recently deceased father's estate. We are still waiting for HMRC to determine the outcome of all this but copies of the wills and Grants of Probate were very useful.

I hope this helps. Apologies again if you already know all this process.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure