Radiator replacement & Valves replacement / how long should this take?

Options
I have taken all the radiators off on the house before when decorating, but I must have wrecked one a while back, as the bleed nut was broken when I went to bleed it the other night, after taking it off to paint the walls.

I live in a house with oldish radiators, no TRVs etc.

I bought a replacement radiator, but getting a plumber out to fit it, as it needs fixed to a wall and I also want to add new TRV valves to it.

How long would this take do you reckon?

- drill holes for new radiator holders and fit radiator
- change either ends to modern connectors, with a TRV kit

I was thinking no more than an hour haha

Comments

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    Assuming no modifications to pipework necessary, its not much more than an hours job plus the time to drain down the system and re-fill (unless a freezing kit is used when replacing the valves).
  • bridgedino
    Options
    Plan for 1, allow for 3
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If you have managed to disconnect and remove the old radiators, you should be able to fit a new one. The only problem you might face is if the old fittings are very old.

I found that the current crop of radiator taps have a slightly different thread on the unions than my original fittings. My radiators & fittings are some 40 years old (if not older). Slowly going round replacing mine a couple of rooms at a time and redoing the pipework.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Zola.
    Zola. Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The main thing is I am a total noob with a drill, shameful i know, and I dont even have drill bits. I need to practice! Might start trying to hang things in the garage.

I also will need the guy to ensure theres an inhibitor in the system as this radiator says it isnt designed to go without some in the system. And I have no idea how to fit TRVs, although it cant be that hard! I plan to stay in the room with him and try to learn. Would that be too invasive?!
  • peter12345678910
    Options
    Zola. wrote: »
    The main thing is I am a total noob with a drill, shameful i know, and I dont even have drill bits. I need to practice! Might start trying to hang things in the garage.

I also will need the guy to ensure theres an inhibitor in the system as this radiator says it isnt designed to go without some in the system. And I have no idea how to fit TRVs, although it cant be that hard! I plan to stay in the room with him and try to learn. Would that be too invasive?!

U have to stay in the room to make sure he or she does not steal anything while you are busy stealing knowledge from him.:rotfl:
    When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you. Nietzsche

Please note that at no point during this work was the kettle ever put out of commission and no chavs were harmed during the making of this post.
  • thescouselander
    thescouselander Posts: 5,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 October 2016 at 10:13AM
    Options
    Sounds like an easy job. Since all the radiators are already off there won't be much water in the system. It would be quite easy to drain the rest off and complete the job yourself. The hardest bit will probably getting the mounting holes in the right place to the tails meet up with the valves - nothing a bit of careful measuring and checking (3 times) wouldn't sort out. There's loads of videos on YouTube on how to do this.

I'd have thought a professional would have it done pretty quickly.
  • Zola.
    Zola. Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thats the main thing, getting the measurements up and done right, if only the radiator had the same slot in grooves then I would have tackled it myself!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure