PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• Si_Clist
    Si_Clist Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I have nothing sensible to offer to the pool of wisdom this morning, but ...

As somebody who, at the time, was a spotty-faced schoolboy of exactly the right age to have a keen interest in it, I well remember the almighty fuss about the publication of Lady Chatterly's Lover and the ensuing trial.

I was therefore fascinated to see it in the local library yesterday, prominently displayed on the "new arrivals" shelf - of the Spoken Word section!

Oh how times change ...
    A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I only found out about her & friend from listening to Tom Lehrer! Led to uproariously stilted chat/Q&A with mother & detailed exposition of which I understood about 5% from my father & still haven't got around to reading it.
    Nell Gwynne I really must have been too young for - I recall a startled parent struggling to cope with my "pretty boring, isn't it?", but they put the book back in the high shelf for me.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was trying to book a flight with my Barclaycard yesterday, and for some reason it was refused. For a minute there, I thought I was on a 'no-fly list' for my subversive views. :) In the end I used my debit card with another bank.

I think I know why now: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-02-25/barclays-server-crash-leaves-customers-unble-withdraw-cash-use-debit-cards

These servers always mysteriously crash around payday, don't they? :)

(Couldn't be that Barclays were short of cash after paying everyone's wages, and needed to wait until their customers' accounts were topped up by employers banking elsewhere? )
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm with Barclays JKO, but I can't really help, as I don't have a Barclaycard.
  • mrs-moneypenny
    Options
    Heard all barclaycards are not working today jk0 some technical hitch hopefully it will be sorted before long and you can book your holiday.

Seen a few downed trees on my travels today, hats off to all the people who are working so hard to get things sorted and safe again.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • thriftwizard
    Options
    Goodness me, the household accounts are with Barclays... good job that my shopping for the day was all done in cash, at the market and a local jumble sale! So - is that two days they've been "down" then?
    Angie - GC April 24 £532.07/£480 - oops: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks guys. Barclaycard seems to be working again, as I just used it to book airport parking.

Interestingly, I did manage to use it to book a hotel in Germany yesterday. Maybe they don't process it immediately. Also my bpay tag still worked, but I know those don't debit until sometime later.
  • daz378
    daz378 Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hello people going out for a few jars today and supposed to meet a mate in Leeds tomorrow....still prepping i could last a week with the taps off.... living 50 m high dont think sewage backing up would be a problem

you all take care
  • We watched a wonderful late night programme about making a circular Ark from a wooden frame and tightly tied bundles of reeds, like an enormous coracle, wish I'd paid more attention as with the amount of 'weather' we've got here this morning I'm beginning to think we'll need one!!!
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MrsL

It has been raining for the last three or four days now and I have more laundry than Widow Twanky so am not a happy bunny. Family were round at the weekend for middles dd'd birthday which is today and resulted in three dishwasher loads last night.

Just ambled happily to the integrated fridge freezer only to find it seems to have conked out :eek: Cue much searching of tinterweb to find a local electrician and peeved to find they all have names like local heroes etc but eventually got hold of someone who will come round about one o'clock.

Luckily the freezer contents had not started to defrost so I transferred items to the small freezer in the conservatory. I did have enough nous to check it was not a tripped switch on the main circuit board. At least it is a "thing" that is failing and not a person.

Just as I start to feel a bit better and more normal household items start playing up :mad:

So much for a quiet day.

Hugs to all
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts