'Justice' system makes me sad and mad!!

Options

Comments

• supersaver2
    Options
    I’m not entirely sure where I stand on the death penalty but as some point out they see it as revenge, what about life in prison without parole, is that also revenge? A person could easily be sent to prison and be innocent, should we therefore not send anybody to prison just in case?
  • supersaver2
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    You've answered your own question.....

You really think he'd get a fair trial now?

There are people who haven’t heard about this, I was discussing with a parent at the school gates on Friday because it’s close to where we live and they’d not heard about it.

The police have evidence, yet haven’t charged anybody, are they actively pursuing somebody for this disgusting crime or do we have a child rapist and murderer in the clear walking about?
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I’m not entirely sure where I stand on the death penalty but as some point out they see it as revenge, what about life in prison without parole, is that also revenge? A person could easily be sent to prison and be innocent, should we therefore not send anybody to prison just in case?

Prison isn't as 'final' as death. Sentences can be overturned, reparations paid etc.

However, i'm not against the death penalty per se.

The justice system is two pronged.

To deter and to punish - seems to fit both.

Prison at the minute does neither to the many low-lifes that are in and out of court.
  • Comms69
    Options
    There are people who haven’t heard about this, I was discussing with a parent at the school gates on Friday because it’s close to where we live and they’d not heard about it.

The police have evidence, yet haven’t charged anybody, are they actively pursuing somebody for this disgusting crime or do we have a child rapist and murderer in the clear walking about?

It's close to where I live, I'm surprised. But can you guarantee a random 12 person jury would be unaware of the case?

As to your second question. Yes there are probably dozens, maybe hundreds walking about.
  • supersaver2
    Options
    It's close to where I live, I'm surprised. But can you guarantee a random 12 person jury would be unaware of the case?

As to your second question. Yes there are probably dozens, maybe hundreds walking about.

So the evidence they do have is to be disregarded in case they can’t find 12 people who haven’t heard of the case? I imagine finding 12 people wouldn’t be that difficult, not everybody follows the news or uses the Internet.
  • supersaver2
    Options
    Prison isn't as 'final' as death. Sentences can be overturned, reparations paid etc.

However, i'm not against the death penalty per se.

The justice system is two pronged.

To deter and to punish - seems to fit both.

Prison at the minute does neither to the many low-lifes that are in and out of court.

Innocent people will die in prison, that’s a given. Therefore the people who don’t believe in the death penalty in case an innocent is killed surely shouldn’t agree with prison ‘just in case’. What then do we do with criminals?
  • Comms69
    Options
    So the evidence they do have is to be disregarded in case they can’t find 12 people who haven’t heard of the case? I imagine finding 12 people wouldn’t be that difficult, not everybody follows the news or uses the Internet.

Yes. The evidence is to be disregarded. A justice system only works when it is applied blindly. You cant use a single case to make a policy / law, it doesn't work.

You missed the key word, apologies I'll emphasise - Random. Juries must be random.
  • Lambyr
    Lambyr Posts: 437 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 5 December 2017 at 6:20PM
    Options

If a person is sent to prison, should a mistake have occurred and their innocence is later proven, it can be rectified to some extent - although, depending on the length of their incarceration, it might only be a small blessing. However, there does seem to be a correlation between the unwillingness for authorities to re-examine new evidence in a case, and the person convicted of the crime being on death row or deceased. It's thus more likely that innocent people who have spent decades in prison at least get some time to live free among their families than a death sentence being overturned.

Life in prison can also offer other benefits for both the inmate and society. Criminologists have argued that prisoners who have been sentenced to life imprisonment but not death are often more willing to agree to take part in studies that have helped to identify the characteristics of many types of violent offender. Gathering this data can be inavaluable in understanding violent crime and looking at how we as a society can better protect vulnerable people.

Some have theorised that even a whole life sentence offers an inmate hope (due to future law changes, for example), and while there is hope that they may be released in the future, in some cases there may be a desire to reform; or at the least, to deter others from making the same disasterous choices as they did. I think in various places in the US and Canada, they run schemes where people who have been sentenced to life - often for gang-related murder - have been part of programmes designed to keep young, vulnerable kids away from gangs.

Death row inmates, on the other hand, are often consumed with bitterness and anger. They know their life will end in jail and so only a few show a similar desire to turn their situation into a positive for others. It does happen but not as often.
    She would always like to say,
    Why change the past when you can own this day?
  • Comms69
    Options
    Innocent people will die in prison, that’s a given. Therefore the people who don’t believe in the death penalty in case an innocent is killed surely shouldn’t agree with prison ‘just in case’. What then do we do with criminals?

Innocent people will die on the bus....

As for what we do with them - depends on their crime.
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Nobody's said that.

Don't misrepresent other peoples views just to try and make your own point.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure