When is it time to sell?

Options

Comments

• Mrs_Z
    Mrs_Z Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thank you all for replies. Somewhat comforting to hear that there is no 'rule of thumb' as such.

The periodic rebalancing of portfolio is something new for me, thank you for the links TrustyOven.

My holdings have been funds, ie. I'm not trading in individual shares and I don't intend to. I havent had a strategy as such as the amounts invested are relatively small. I will be looking into the asset allocation in more detail in the future and building a balanced portfolio.

The investment period I have in mind is about 20yrs, really I'd like to build up a nice little lump sum to be enjoyed at retirement or maybe to be switched into income generation later on if needed.
  • IronWolf
    IronWolf Posts: 6,423 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I sell when I judge the long term returns to be too low, usually when its over my most optimistic estimate of fair value.
    Faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 495 Forumite
    Options
    i try to set targets - its not easy, but really i want to see 30%+ out of a stock. If the stock reaches that level, then i re-evaluate the situation and see if i consider if there are any future catalysts which might drive it higher still.

this is where to try and leave your emotion behind as greed makes us do silly things.

only you can answer when to sell. I think if you have concerns over the stock, then taking some off the table is probably the sensible thing to do.
  • TheTracker
    TheTracker Posts: 1,223 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As a passive investor I rebalance regularly. Here are some popular strategies. I like the 5/25 rule but personally just rebalance once a year when cash becomes available and any required sells can take place.
  • Ryan_Futuristics
    Options
    If you want a Sell rule, it has to be consistent

E.g. I just bought AXA Framlington BioTech - on a huge run, looking horribly overvalued, could drop tmrw ... But on great momentum

But I bought with the intention of selling when it runs out of steam (which will probably be when US equities take a turn for the worse ... And I've been expecting that to be soon, but it could be years off)

If you can get a decent chart of your investment or sector, just sell when the price has dropped below the SMA 300 on your monthly rebalance date (for more volatile sectors, try SMA 150) ... Or you can use Relative Strength - sell when it dips below 50%

These sound like market timing methods, they're not - they're simple ways to stay invested in up-trends, and bail in anything else ... As there are usually regions/sectors in uptrend, you can just stay invested in these without having to worry about the difficulties of market timing and false signals ... Simple Moving Average - it's very simple, no guesswork, allows you to jump in and out of markets - limits any potential loss
  • racing_blue
    racing_blue Posts: 961 Forumite
    edited 25 February 2015 at 12:22PM
    Options
    Keeping a light digital footprint...

This post is quite old, and as it contained personal info, I have deleted it for security.

PM me if you would like to know what it said or discuss any aspect.
  • coastline
    coastline Posts: 1,649 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have grappled with this (when to sell) for a long time.

Every trade has one buyer and one seller and both cannot be winners. It would be a zero sum game, except there is a cost associated with trading, so it is not even a zero sum game.

So I simply try not to sell if I can help it. In practice I limit myself to a maximum of 3 trades per quarter: two buys and one sell.

There is the saying "no-one ever went broke taking a profit" but in the past my problem was selling too readily when shares rose in value. For example, I bought shares in EasyJet in 2011 at 350p and sold them for 520p less than a year later. I was happy at the time but since have kicked myself several times over, they are currently trading at 1650p.

I've done the same in the past with shares...maybe its worth placing a stop loss of at least 10% and keep lifting it..In the case of EasyJet with a bit of luck the stop would have been 1300p before it was triggered.
    Trouble is if the general market gets choppy or in a downward trend then your stock normally goes with it.

Earnings forecasts are worth keeping an eye on and the link below is very handy.

http://www.4-traders.com/EASYJET-PLC-10093880/consensus/

http://www.4-traders.com/EASYJET-PLC-10093880/revisions/

In the case of Tesco forecasts have been dire of late.

http://www.4-traders.com/TESCO-PLC-4000540/consensus/

http://www.4-traders.com/TESCO-PLC-4000540/revisions/
  • racing_blue
    Options
    Difficult to know when bad news fully priced in - Tesco up 30% in the last few weeks (that was one of my two Q4 2014 buys incidentally, the other was OILB which has already dropped another 20%. Didn't sell anything)

I do set sell targets for commodities which generally form 10-20% of my portfolio. Unfortunately I have been sitting on rather a lot of aluminium for several years, but live in hope. Maybe I'll just take delivery and build a plane, it worked for EasyJet...
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    E.g. I just bought AXA Framlington BioTech - on a huge run, looking horribly overvalued, could drop tmrw ... But on great momentum

I've topped up my holding in it this week, current holding was showing +84% but the top up is a significant addition so that return will be hammered down by a fair chunk when the deal goes through. I see this as a safe long term investment barring short term volatility, likewise AXA's Global Tech. and Health which are on a more modest +21% & +42%

Together they're 15% of the total, each equally split in my otherwise tracker only portfolio. They're also far and away the best performers in the time I've held them although the trackers have been rebalanced a few times so their return % is stifled.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • crystal_pixie_2
    Options
    I must admit to being a bit nervous about putting my money in such a narrow "niche" fund as the Biotech funds - but they are doing ok.

The vanguard uk inflation gilt index is doing very well at the moment - if anyone can tell me why I would be interested.

Strategy - if I think a fund is underperforming after 6 months I will switch to either a fund that is performing well or something I have been keeping any eye on for a while. I find that I do a re-balance every 6 months or so.

Its all a learning curve with investing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure