PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Private landlord -Credit and Right to rent check

Options

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    I actually can see the merit of a LL seeing someone full history and equally I can see the merit of a tenant seeing the LLs.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm always amazed at how protective some people are of their credit history. I wouldn't care one bit showing mine to whoever would want to know for whatever reason... because there is nothing there that anyone would be interested in.

Can't help but think that those who do have an issue with it do so because they have something to hide.
  • Brightspark87
    Brightspark87 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 11 October 2016 at 2:50PM
    Options
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    Rent should be paid in advance - the problem comes when rent isn't paid as it should be. If the rent is paid (all other things being vaguely equal), and the house supplied and maintained (again, vaguely =), there's no problem.

I'd certainly expect/support some form of mutual landlord/tenant credit reporting; where tenant is asked to show his, so should ll be willing.

A good clean credit report is, of course, just historic, and shows no real clue as to future reliability. I'm sure there are many with poor credit history who'd pay the rent come what may, whilst many with perfect scoring will not.

Frankly, credit ratings don't matter at all to me; most of my tenants are just starting out, and few have any credit history at all. I'd much rather know my tenants, let them judge me as much as I'd pigeonhole them...

Problem is, those with the least good records also have little choice - and far less money to fall back on!

Just to let you know I have dealt with someone who had total earnings of over £1 million in 2014/15 but could not get a mortgage due to previous debts and bad credit rating - more than paid off (he moved and forgot to change address). All paid off and sorted. He more than afforded his very expensive penthouse! Therefore not everyone with a bad credit rating is cash or asset poor. Also, as a renter, doesn't mean you don't have any assets. What about people who have to move for work before selling old property? Or who are also landlords but cannot live for whatever reason in their home so rent where they need to be based? Hundreds of examples of this. Second homes etc too.

You are all also missing the point surely? You are worried about tenants paying the rent and ruining your house as this is your investment. Fine. Do checks. Buy insurance to cover yourself. Don't treat the tenant like they have the jump through hoops so you can judge them and decide to rent to them. This is a business deal and therefore you try to reduce risk with the above steps. However, as with any investment there is still a risk - which you understand is part and parcel of owning a rental property or any investment.

OP - do whatever you want to do. However, honestly - if my brothers or friends said they had to provide a credit report or for you to be able to log in as them on their report I would tell them to run a mile as it looks dodgy. If you do not trust your tenant after the standard tests then they are not the rights ones for you as I feel it is completely unnecessary.

Paid off all Catalogues 10.10.2014
  • FBaby
    Options
    This is a business deal and therefore you try to reduce risk with the above steps. However, as with any investment there is still a risk - which you understand is part and parcel of owning a rental property or any investment.
    Since when do customers decide on behalf of businesses what level of risk they should or shouldn't be taking?
  • Guest101
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    I'm always amazed at how protective some people are of their credit history. I wouldn't care one bit showing mine to whoever would want to know for whatever reason... because there is nothing there that anyone would be interested in.

Can't help but think that those who do have an issue with it do so because they have something to hide.

Define 'something to hide'

Are you one of those people that just does as they're told, without question?

Nothing to hide, nothing to fear types?
  • Guest101
    Options
    Since when do customers decide on behalf of businesses what level of risk they should or shouldn't be taking?

Well typically customers set the market trend...
  • Miss_Samantha
    Options

You're wasting your time discussing and expecting genuine replies, unfortunately...
  • Brightspark87
    Options

What? Do you not understand my point?

No customers have a say in how the business conducts itself or the risks it takes.

However if they do not like the behaviour they chose not to use that service. Therefore - yes a tenant has the right to a) not move into the property as the landlord is going OTT with checks and it is worrying them or b) accept these checks move in. As the 'customer' in this situation they do still have the most important right - to be able to take their 'business' elsewhere!

Paid off all Catalogues 10.10.2014
  • Sootoo
    Sootoo Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Try the Tenant Verify site - they do a comprehensive check for about £30 - don't forget to give the tenant a copy of the EPC and How to Rent Booklet as well :)
  • FBaby
    Options
    Are you one of those people that just does as they're told, without question?
    No, I'm the type of person who doesn't care to make my life more difficult that it has to be to get what I want. Simple. Nothing to hide, no need to fight over!
    Well typically customers set the market trend...
    Not individual customers. If 100 customers are happy with the way I conduct my business and abide to my rules, and I can make a success of my business this way, then I really am not going to care about the one who is not happy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure