Question in part-refunding postal charges

Options
What would be the best way to refund part of the postage cost to this buyer please?

I have a number of items for sale.
Buyer contacted me prior to bidding, to ask if I would combine shipping cost for 2 items
I agreed on a reduced rate
Buyer then bought two items, paid full price including postage, and asked for a refund of the difference. (Previously I have invoiced the customer at the reduced postage cost)

What is the best way to refund the difference in cost to the buyer?

Thanks!

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I always just refund from the original paypal payment that at least returns the paypal fee element, but alas not the ebay FVFs. Under no circumstances send a new payment to the buyer, as that leaves the whole of the original payment still available to chargeback
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Perelandra
    Perelandra Posts: 1,060 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Soolin,

Ok, I will do that. What a shame, but not a huge issue, it's just a few pounds.
  • campdave
    campdave Posts: 2,198 Forumite
    Options
    Perelandra wrote: »
    Thanks Soolin,

Ok, I will do that. What a shame, but not a huge issue, it's just a few pounds.

If you're going to refund postage, refund it minus any FVF it has cost you - you shouldn't be out of pocket because your buyer is too dumb to pay via the invoice you sent them.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    campdave wrote: »
    If you're going to refund postage, refund it minus any FVF it has cost you - you shouldn't be out of pocket because your buyer is too dumb to pay via the invoice you sent them.

It may not be the buyer's fault.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/pay/require-immediate-payment.html
    For items priced below £350 on eBay.co.uk with a specified postage cost and where PayPal is the only payment method offered, buyers who click Buy it now are asked to pay immediately.

If the OP says it's just a few pounds (the refund?) then the FVF are only a few pence.
  • campdave
    campdave Posts: 2,198 Forumite
    Options
    Buyers who can't or won't use the basket should be shot.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure