Balance Transfers on closed accounts

Options
I have recently applied and got a new Halifax credit card which offers 0% on balance transfers for 18 month. I wanted to transfer the balance from my old Tesco card. I tried today but Halifax can’t do it as my Tesco card has expired. They told me to ask Tesco for a new card with a valid expiry date. Tesco say the account was closed in around 2010 because I had too many other cards, they can’t reopen ir or give me a new card and there is no. way of doing s balance transfer on that account. I asked if they would stop charging me interest so I could pay off the balance quicker, the same as if I did s balance transfer, they said no they can only charge the interest agreed at the time the original purchases were made. Is it worth my time trying to complain to Tesco and see if they can issue acard for that account or stop my interest. Now that I have activated the Hslifax card the 18 month period has started and I want to sort it fast. Any advice?

Comments

• Sarastro
    Options
    Always worth complaining...you never know.

Can you find a card that will allow a money transfer? You could transfer this to your personal current account and use it to make a one-off payment to Tesco. The interest rate would probably be lower.
    Debt 1/1/17 - Credit Cards £17,280.23; overdrafts £3,777.24
    Debt 5/1/18 - Credit Cards £3,188; overdrafts £0
  • Gladrags09
    Options
    I could do this on the Halidax card but it is higher interest. I dont want to apply for more cards as too many can affect your credit rating and it is already pretty poor. I just need a break to try and sort thing but it is starting to get on top of me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure