Speed cameras - single flash

Options
Ebe_Scrooge
Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Just a question that's been puzzling me a while. On my long weekly commute, I pass dozens of speed cameras ( the A68 if anyone's familiar with it ). I'm always careful to make sure I'm not speeding, but over the years I've seen loads of people getting flashed.

Anyhow ...

When I see someone go past one on the left side of the road, it flashes twice in quick succession ( I think I'm right in saying that's so they can prove the speed by the white lines on the road, if there's any dispute ? )

But I've also seen loads of people going towards the camera ( i.e. the camera is on the right-hand side of the road ), and it gives just a single flash - oh, and the times I've seen it, they were definitely speeding, so it's not an error in the camera.

I'm just curious as to whether the camera would issue a ticket in these circumstances. The car was definitely speeding, and the camera obviously registered that fact. But does it have to flash twice for it to be legally acceptable as evidence, or whatever the terminology is ?

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just a question that's been puzzling me a while. On my long weekly commute, I pass dozens of speed cameras ( the A68 if anyone's familiar with it ). I'm always careful to make sure I'm not speeding, but over the years I've seen loads of people getting flashed.

Anyhow ...

When I see someone go past one on the left side of the road, it flashes twice in quick succession ( I think I'm right in saying that's so they can prove the speed by the white lines on the road, if there's any dispute ? )

But I've also seen loads of people going towards the camera ( i.e. the camera is on the right-hand side of the road ), and it gives just a single flash - oh, and the times I've seen it, they were definitely speeding, so it's not an error in the camera.

I'm just curious as to whether the camera would issue a ticket in these circumstances. The car was definitely speeding, and the camera obviously registered that fact. But does it have to flash twice for it to be legally acceptable as evidence, or whatever the terminology is ?

If you're talking a gatso camera then it's not approve for forward facing detection so they won't get a ticket.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Options
    I see, thanks.

And no, before anyone asks, I haven't been flashed ! I just see so many people getting "forward-flashed", as it were, that I was just curious.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    But it might not be a Gatso.
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    But it might not be a Gatso.

They are Gatsos on the A68. Or were last time I was on it a few months back.
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    Some measure average speed over a long distance, so only one flash, at the far end ; or maybe none.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    Options
    Geoff1963 wrote: »
    Some measure average speed over a long distance, so only one flash, at the far end ; or maybe none.

AfAIK average speed cameras do not flash.
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    AfAIK average speed cameras do not flash.

They don't. No need to as they don't need to take a photograph as they are measuring average speed using your number plate - they can read that either with ambient light or in some cases using IR. On motorway roadworks they sometimes put a floodlight up near the average speed cameras.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Options
    They are Gatsos on the A68. Or were last time I was on it a few months back.

Yes, they're all Gatsos. With the exception possibly of the one about a mile North of Earlston. Not sure, but it's bright yellow all over, the others have a yellow back but a grey front ? It used to be a Gatso, then got vandalised, then got replaced with a new one.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, they're all Gatsos. With the exception possibly of the one about a mile North of Earlston. Not sure, but it's bright yellow all over, the others have a yellow back but a grey front ? It used to be a Gatso, then got vandalised, then got replaced with a new one.

Does it have a thin window where the lens and the flash is or does it have a lens right in the middle? If the latter, it's a Truvelo and they enforce from the front.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Options
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    Does it have a thin window where the lens and the flash is or does it have a lens right in the middle? If the latter, it's a Truvelo and they enforce from the front.

It's got a lens in the middle. I did think it was a Truvelo, though I wasn't 100% certain. Mind you, I'm over cautious anyway - I always keep a close eye on my speedo every time I pass any of them, whether from the front or back ! Not that I drive like a maniac, but I'd be lying if I said I've never crept over the limit by a little bit. Yes, I know that if my speedo says 65mph I'm more than likely OK passing a 60mph camera - but I've never had a ticket for over 30 years and I don't want to start now :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure