Urgent Help Required Boiler Fitter

Options
Hi, hope someone can advise me. I arranged to have a new boiler fitted last Friday. I did check the Gas Safe register prior to agreeing to have the work completed. The boiler was fitted Friday, however it is not working at all. Fitter returned yesterday and still could not find fault, may be electrical?
He agreed to return today at 1pm, with an electrician to sort out problems. He a has not turned up as promised, I have phoned him several times and left messages, no response. The work has not been paid for but I have no confidence in his ability to complete the work. Any advice would be welcome.

Many thanks

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 October 2016 at 3:04PM
    Options
    Have you also checked out any reviews of the company? Recommendations?
    It's all a bit quick , and it's the weekend .
    He will no doubt come up with some feeble excuse and continue on Monday.Perhaps he couldn't get an electrician to come with him.
    Other than this problem, is there any other reason you have no confidence in him? I think you need to give him chance to sort it out,
  • kelpie35
    kelpie35 Posts: 1,781 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    at least you have been very wise in not paying him for faulty work.

hope you can get the problem fixed very soon.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 October 2016 at 3:52PM
    Options
    Did you go through any other organisation eg like the energy saving trust?
    Did you contact them or did they canvas you?
    What method are you intending to use to pay them? Do not pay in cash. Credit card might be useful as it gives you greater protection.
  • Bogalot
    Bogalot Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Options
    You're free to get someone else to complete the work but, until you give the existing chap a chance to fix the fault, that would be at your own cost.

It's poor that he hasn't turned up today, even if he couldn't find an electrician to come out he could have told you. Contact him again in the morning and ask when he will be attending.
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    He won't get his money until he's got the boiler working, so I suspect he will be in contact with you soon.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • Justiceforme
    Options
    Thanks for your reply and I did do some research on the company for bad reviews, non showing. I did have several quotes prior choosing this company/person. My confidence is now low in his ability to complete the work because of his inability to sort out the problem himself or to find a to reputable electrician to find the fault.
    He has finally emailed me later today with an apology but he has still not provided a date for completion. How long am I expected to wait for this work to be completed to a satisfactory level?

With thanks
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    To be fair given that he only came out yesterday it was pretty short notice to get an electrician to come out today. Give him a ring tomorrow and ask for a definitive date.
  • Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OP, are you happy with the standard of fitting?
    Did he give your system a powerflush?
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Zandoni wrote: »
    OP, are you happy with the standard of fitting?
    Did he give your system a powerflush?
    I'm not sure any of that's relevant given that the plumbers saying there's an electrical problem with the boiler. Also, not all systems will require or are appropriate to have a power flush.
  • Justiceforme
    Options
    I have been in contact with the boiler fitter but still have no date as to when the work will be completed. I'm no expert in plumbing and heating and not sure if the work is of good a standard but it should never take this long for simple straight swap of boilers. I feel that I can no longer trust him for the reasons provided. I'm considering contacting Gas Safe later on today.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure