New fitted wardrobes or revamp old ones?

Options
rainbow8
rainbow8 Posts: 2 Newbie
Hi,
I'm new to the forum and so hope I am posting in the right place, apologies if not! I would really appreciate some advice or pointers on smelly/musty/mouldy fitted wardrobes.

We have a problem with mould around the windows in our bedroom, due to some missed ‘pointing’ when our new windows were fitted, however we feel we can clean, re paint with mould resistant paint and then normal paint.
I think this mould issue has contributed to the problem with our fitted wardrobes which the previous owners fitted, even though they have vents at the bottom of doors, they smell really musty and mouldy and I have found patches of mould.
Our fitted wardrobes are wall to wall, with a chimney breast in the middle and have a cupboard over the top of each wardrobe and a mini cupboard to join the two at the top of the chimney breast. One wardrobe is directly fitted to an outside wall and I have been told that this may be contributing to the smell issue as apparently there should be a gap? However, all the cupboards and other wardrobe (on the inside wall) also smell musty, thus making our clothes and anything in the ward
The wardrobes are made with wood and have wood panelling (which I really don’t like!!) at the back.

So my question is, can ‘wood’ be treated and cleaned of mould? Or would it be better to strip out the old and have new fitted??

Edited to add - reason for posting on the moneysavingexpert is really would like to know the best cost effective ways of dealing with the problem!
Sorry for a long winded post, I just wanted to get all the information I could! Hope all makes sense and would appreciate any advice!!!

Thanks in advance! :D

Comments

• dexter_fan
    dexter_fan Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    I have just asked OH (who is a qualified decorator)
    If the wardrobes are bare wood, you can clean with fungacidal wash, but the mould may leave a stain. Fungacidal wash will also kill the spores.

For the cupboard covering the chimney, there should be a vent in the bottom of the chimney breast for circulation - otherwise the problem will re-occur.

After washing with fungacidal wash, use an oil based paint. This will make any future mould easier to wash off and won't penetrate the wood.

Look in a decorators merchant (such as Brewers) they do a mould spray wash (need to wear gloves and mask). this should kill the spores

DF
    MFW 131
  • rainbow8
    Options
    Thanks for your reply DF!
    Would you mind asking your OH if it is recommended to have a gap between the outside wall and the wardrobe?
    Thanks
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    Options
    Cleaning and suchlike is only attending to the symptoms. What you need to be doing is to attend to the causes of the mould. Fitting new wardrobes is only going to supply new wood for the mould to develop onto. You first have to provide adequate heating in the room so as to prevent the conditions that lead to the formation of mould. This may also require the installation of cavity fill insulation, and the topping up of roof insulation.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family