Unrecognised Credit Card Transaction

Options
After receiving my statement, I have spotted two unrecognised transactions, teen days apart. I phoned the bank and they quickly resolved the issue. What I do not understand is how did this happen. Surely, if it was fraud, they would have made a number of quick purchases of phones or computers before being spotted. In this case, they ordered flooring and motor insurance by phone. Does anybody understand what is going on here?

Comments

• eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I guess there are many possibilities... here a a couple:

Computer and phone retailers know they are targeted by fraudsters, so they probably do rigourous anti-fraud checks on online/phone orders.

e.g. Only shipping to cardholders registered address, checking if the buyer is on the electoral roll at that address. If an order flags up as dodgy, some retailers also call the buyer's landline numbers to check them out.

But flooring retailers aren't typical targets for fraud - so perhaps their anti-fraud checking is much more lax.

And it sounds like the fraudsters got an active car insurance policy for a few weeks before you reported the fraud - so no hassle from police ANPR cameras during that time. Although I guess the car will have a police marker against it now.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 22 October 2016 at 9:18PM
    Options
    These seem to be rather odd things to obtain fraudulently as surely flooring has to be delivered and car insurance can be very easily traced to a specific vehicle.
    It would be very nice if somehow you could persuade the police to take an interest in this and go and arrest the driver of this car.
    I am of course curious to know how you know exactly what was ordered especially the fact that it was ordered by phone. Surely the bank did not reveal this?
    How did the fraudsters obtain the required information such as your correct address and the ccv number on the back of the card?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure