PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Private landlord -Credit and Right to rent check

Options
Hi All :),
I am a private landlord. Is it possible for me to do the relevant checks such as credit check and right to rent, for the potential tenants I have found myself?

If this is not possible is there another option without having to use a letting agent?
Thank you so much for any information.
TIA

Comments

• sheff6107
    Options
    You can do it online: http://www.experian.co.uk/background-checking/tenant-screening.html

Or you could simply ask your potential tenant to provide you with their Noddle / Clearscore / Experian log in details, or ask them to provide a printout.

Credit checking is a complete ripoff. There's no reason why tenants couldn't just hand over the information themselves at no cost to anyone.

You only really want to know if they have any CCJs and if they keep missing credit card payments.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If a potential landlord asked me for login details to view my credit files I'd tell them to jog on. I do not give my passwords for anything out to anyone.

You can do your own immigration checks online:

https://www.gov.uk/landlord-immigration-check

Are you a member of a landlord association as I think some if not all offer services to reference tenants?

https://www.nlatenantcheck.org.uk/services.aspx

You might find G_M's guide for New Landlords useful as it does cover referencing tenants.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    sheff6107 wrote: »
    You can do it online: http://www.experian.co.uk/background-checking/tenant-screening.html

Or you could simply ask your potential tenant to provide you with their Noddle / Clearscore / Experian log in details, or ask them to provide a printout.

Credit checking is a complete ripoff. There's no reason why tenants couldn't just hand over the information themselves at no cost to anyone.

You only really want to know if they have any CCJs and if they keep missing credit card payments.

So much wrong with this......

OP right to rent is straight forward: ask to see their passport.

Credit checks- well letting agents only see public records, so really you'll want to do the same and get employment references ( a copy of last two payslips would also help)

9/10 your gut feeling is the best way to go.
  • happypuppy
    Options
    Thank you so much sheff6107 :),
    I will ask them to provide Noddle / Clearscore / Experian login details.
    I guess details about CCJs and missing CC payments are included in the report from Noddle / Clearscore / Experian?
    Thank you so much again :)
  • happypuppy
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    If a potential landlord asked me for login details to view my credit files I'd tell them to jog on. I do not give my passwords for anything out to anyone.

You can do your own immigration checks online:

https://www.gov.uk/landlord-immigration-check

Are you a member of a landlord association as I think some if not all offer services to reference tenants?

https://www.nlatenantcheck.org.uk/services.aspx

You might find G_M's guide for New Landlords useful as it does cover referencing tenants.

Thank you so much Pixie5740 :),
    I can become a member of that LL association and get the check done. Thank you so much :)
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    happypuppy wrote: »
    I guess details about CCJs and missing CC payments are included in the report from Noddle / Clearscore / Experian?

Will you be doing the same for your tenants? Giving them your login details?
  • If a LL told me to give them my in depth credit file (login details!) I'd tell them to p**s off - how I choose to make CC payments is nothing to do with them. Publically held information, such as CCJ's, is available for all to see.
  • fairy_lights
    Options
    happypuppy wrote: »
    No don't do that, you're causing hassle for your tenants by asking for that as they will have to create and possibly pay for an account, and why would they want you to be able to log in willy nilly?
    Can't you just ask them for employment and previous landlord references?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As pixie says: all these Qs, (and many others) together with relevant links to gov and private websites, are within this post:

* New landlords: advice, information & links

That post is in turn within the followig thread:

* Tenancies in Eng/Wales: Guides for landlords and tenants

Topics covered:

* Repairing Obligations: the law, common misconceptions, reporting/enforcing, retaliatory eviction & the new protection (2015)

* Deposits:
    payment, protection and return

* Ending/renewing an AST: what happens when a fixed term ends? How can a LL or tenant end a tenancy? What is a periodic tenancy?

* Rent increases: when & how can rent be increased?

* Repossession: what if a LL's mortgage lender repossesses the property?

* New landlords: advice, information & links

* Letting agents: how should a landlord select or sack?

• bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    If a LL told me to give them my in depth credit file (login details!) I'd tell them to p**s off - how I choose to make CC payments is nothing to do with them. Publically held information, such as CCJ's, is available for all to see.
    That's all fine and well but if you really wanted the property then you would soon change your mind when the LL told you , no problem, find some where else.
    It's all very well being the big shot when it's not you who could be losing out on their dream home.

Bottom line is the biggest thing for a LL is affordability, if you have nothing to hide show the LL and get the deal done. it's not as if you can't change the log in details after the check is complete.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure