Money Received in Error

Options
Last week I received approximately £400.00 (made up of 3 separate payments) into my current account from an unknown source, and the description on my statements is just a load of numbers (different number on each payment). They payment may well be genuine, as I have put a claim in for a mis-sold account upgrade or could be a refund of some sort, but I haven't received any correspondence so I haven't expected any payment.

So.....I contacted my bank to see if I could get any further details on the payments received, so I could determine it the payments where a genuine payment to me or if they had been sent in error. They were unable to provide any further information about the payments, suggesting the reference could be sort codes and account number (the possible sort code didn't match any bank) or even mobile phone number (numbers too long to be a valid mobile number).

The said they would pass the matter on to another department to see if they can shed any light on the payments, but I will have to just hold on to the money for the time being until I get a call back.

I obviously would love the money genuinely mine, but I fear I will be chased for the money if I spend it.

Any ideas?

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No doubt about it

You will be chased if its not yours.

Just put it to one side till you kmnow for definite .
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Perhaps if you put the reference numbers on here someone might be able to make sense of them?
  • stuart30
    stuart30 Posts: 499 Forumite
    Options
    We had £1500 every quarter paid into the wife's account...took them about 3.5 yrs to finally make contact we us via the bank.

And then the bank said its between you and them IF you make contact..bank wouldn't disclose our details due to data protection.

After being through it..id say stick it in high intrest account and do not touch it.

When they ask you can pay them back.
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I had a refund (which I was expecting) this week after cancelling car insurance, however it didn't have the insurance companies name associated with it, just some digits. I believe this was due to the fact I had switched current accounts and the refund had gone back via my old debit card number and then forwarded to my new account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure