Has my financial advisor given me bad advice?

Options
My financial advisor has invested some of my money in a "soft closed" fund. This means the fund carries a 4% initial charge, to try to dissuade people from putting new money into it. I'm sure he didn't realise the fund was "soft closed" before I pointed it out to him. I'm concerned he has needlessly cost me a 4% initial charge on this fund, when there are likely to be many other equally suitable funds that are not soft closed. To add to my concern, he's recommending that I now "bed and ISA" to use my 14/15 ISA allowance, which would involve selling some of my holding in that fund and repurchasing in the ISA wrapper, incurring the 4% initial charge yet again. I'm not happy I'm being given sound advice. Any views on this?

The fund in question is First State Global Emerging Market Leaders.

Comments

• masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,278 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's a fund I've held for quite a few years and one I still hold. I wouldn't pay a 4% initial charge to top up now though, and in your position I certainly wouldn't bed and ISA it while it is soft closed!

The fact it has soft closed makes me wonder if I should continue holding it. The fact it has grown so large will make it difficult to exploit opportunities going forward.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    masonic wrote: »
    The fact it has soft closed makes me wonder if I should continue holding it. The fact it has grown so large will make it difficult to exploit opportunities going forward.
    You're not the first to have said that - there's an argument that many of the 'leaders' in which it tries to invest might already be considered fully valued by the markets (given EM generally have had a mixed time of it in the last couple of years, giving a flight to quality stocks), and any shift of focus is hard to do when you have so much money to deploy.

However the soft closing means that it should get smaller as people who exit will not be replaced at the same rate with new money. And if you look at the track record against some other funds it is pretty good.

If you had been in the fund for the last 3 years you would have well outperformed the IMA GEM average (like others focussing on large companies or dividend payers it outperformed significantly in the face of some big drops in 2011). And if you had first bought in, say, 8 months ago today (a month or so after it had soft closed), the fund performance has exceeded the IMA benchmark by over a percent so you are over a quarter of the way to making back your entrance fees. Focussing purely on the last 3 months it has underperformed by IMA as the rest catches up, so I suppose you can prove anything by cherrypicking data. Whether a strategy of holding EM leaders vs dividend payers vs value plays vs smaller growth stocks will serve you best going forwards is a bit of an unknown.

To the OP, you mentioned the IFA invested your money into the fund. Did he literally invest of his own volition like a discretionary manager or did he first show you all the costs and characteristics of the fund before you decided to take the advice and invest? I am guessing your arrangement is the latter if he is merely an advisor - so are you saying this initial charge was omitted from the summary he prepared? If so you would have a valid complaint as the fees were publicised by FS and the platforms in advance of the soft closure actually happening in September and it is his duty to tell you what he is advising you to buy.

I'm guessing you were already in the fund pre- the soft closure (which is how you had access to keep investing and pay the fees for doing so) and you're just looking at the effect on some additional contributions made over the last year? So maybe not a massive effect in actual pounds.

It is not necessarily a bad fund to be in that has stopped being suitable for you , it is just effectively more expensive, with a 4% one-off charge on the multi-year investment, making other rival funds a lot more competitive. It might still be the best in the sector by 1% a year over the next decade and then it will have been more than worth it. But generally the law of averages doesn't work that way and such a chunky one-time fee on every pound contributed is best avoided. What did he say in his defence when you raised the issue?

You mention he is suggesting you bed and ISA to make use of this year's new allowance. The two obvious things to do here would be:

a) Once you have sold out a portion of the unwrapped investment and moved the cash into the ISA, just buy back another EM fund with similar characteristics that broadly meets your needs and passes the adviser's due diligence but does not have a penalty fee. He can probably find one. Then the 4% is avoided.

b) Assuming this is not your only fund you will have a portfolio of assets unwrapped that you are trying to move into the ISA wrapper under the popular 'bed & ISA' concept. So if you were going to sell ~£3k out of five funds including the FS one, you could instead sell ~£4k of each of the other four funds and keep the FS one unwrapped, avoiding the fee for rebuying it.

By doing that you are still achieving the goal of protecting the same amount of capital and income stream from tax, you have just changed the mix of what is in the wrapped pot versus the unwrapped pot. This might mean that the unwrapped FS fund holding is building up a bigger capital gain but the flipside is that greater unwrapped gains have been crystallised on the other funds and moved over, so this may just be a wash in terms of tax efficiency. At some point down the line if the FS fund drops in size by a billion they might well remove the restrictions.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm concerned he has needlessly cost me a 4% initial charge on this fund, when there are likely to be many other equally suitable funds that are not soft closed.

I have bought soft closed funds before. Although only via a platform where the closure terms were not applied. However, a recent change in our research criteria now eliminates soft closed funds. That is personal choice though (as are most investment decisions).
    To add to my concern, he's recommending that I now "bed and ISA" to use my 14/15 ISA allowance, which would involve selling some of my holding in that fund and repurchasing in the ISA wrapper, incurring the 4% initial charge yet again. I'm not happy I'm being given sound advice. Any views on this?

bed & ISA makes sense. Its a normal transaction to do. Selling a fund with an initial charge to buy another with an initial charge makes little sense. I would normally use a fund without an initial charge. (maybe leaving unwrapped where it is but using the ISA for a new fund). However, this is preference.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • andrews65
    Options
    Did he literally invest of his own volition like a discretionary manager or did he first show you all the costs and characteristics of the fund before you decided to take the advice and invest? I am guessing your arrangement is the latter if he is merely an advisor - so are you saying this initial charge was omitted from the summary he prepared?
    It was the latter; and the initial charge was mentioned in the literature. At the time of the initial investment I didn't notice this so didn't query it with the adviser.
    I'm guessing you were already in the fund pre- the soft closure (which is how you had access to keep investing and pay the fees for doing so) and you're just looking at the effect on some additional contributions made over the last year? So maybe not a massive effect in actual pounds.
    Nope, the platform I'm on (Skandia) allowed me to buy in as per my advisors advice after the soft closure, paying the 4% charge.
    What did he say in his defence when you raised the issue?
    A few months after buying into the fund, I decided to investigate alternative platforms, so began to investigate the charges I'd paid so I could compare costs. I emailed him twice to confirm what the charges were for the funds and platform we were using; twice he confirmed there were no charges, saying that the 4% quoted in the key facts did not apply when investing via his company on the Skandia platform. It was only after I phoned Skandia to confirm that the First State fund was subject to the 4% charge and informed him of that, that he changed his tune and said "yes the intial charge does apply but regardless of that we still recommend you bed and ISA out of and into this fund again".

I'm assuming that because the intial charge was mentioned in the key facts, I have no case against my advisor, regardless of the fact that he gave me conflicting information when I raised it with him?
  • Your_Hero
    Your_Hero Posts: 883 Forumite
    Options
    It sounds more like an oversight than bad advice. I would still use a soft-closed fund if they are still good. The initial charge isn't ideal but if it is a good fund, it's probably worth paying for. Normally EM would form a small part of the overall portfolio anyway, so the cost isn't all that much overall.

However, to pay the initial charge once and then to pay it again when you bed & ISA it is not ideal and should be avoided. As others have already mentioned, there is a work around to this. I would suggest leaving that fund unwrapped outside the ISA for now, and at least let it recoup the initial charge first and then bed & ISA it in a few years' time.

A problem can arise when your portfolio needs to be rebalanced and one scenario could result in more money being invested into it. Therefore, if you are strongly against soft-closed funds, speak to the FA and voice your concern so that he can use an alternative fund for future rebalancing/top ups.
    Stephen Covey once said that "when you teach once, you learn twice". That is the primary reason for my participation on the forums as an IFA.

Although I strive to provide accurate information in my posts, there may be the odd time when I fail. Yes I know it's hard to believe but even Your Hero can make mistakes. Apologies in advance.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    OK so you are looking at two charges - 4% unwrapped and then 4% same again to move it into a wrapper.

The first is a sunk cost. You would rather not have paid it and probably the advisor would prefer you didn't have to pay it, but you did. Whether you hold the fund for 1 year or 20 years you are not going to get it back from First State, and it doesn't come into decisionmaking from now on.

If the advisor said it had a cost of X and you didn't see it and said 'fine', or you did see it and still said 'fine', you will struggle to get him to accept your complaint, *unless* he said at the time of presenting the recommendations to disregard all charges because you were exempt from them via his introduction. That might have been what he thought, in which case he has been sloppy, but if it wasn't the basis on which you received and took his advice it is not something you can legitimately do much about. So, IMHO, you don't really have a case against him even though your later questioning probably exposed the fact that he wasn't as smart as he thought he was.

I can't help thinking that after you exposed his error/misunderstanding, his advice to continue with the Bed and ISA is a way of brushing it under the carpet as if his initial oversight is not a big deal and the decision is totally unaffected, rather than him solidly reassessing and considering exactly what other funds are available on the Skandia platform which may meet your needs without losing a 4% slice up front.

As I mentioned in the other post, it is possible that it is still the best choice for the exact portfolio he is trying to create for you. After all, if it continues to outperform rivals by 20% over the next decade it is a no brainer to accept the fee. But prospective performance is guesswork really - you just need to consider if the strategy is what you are looking for. However if its ongoing management fees were broadly similar to competitors, and its performance was a bit better, but now its fee structure takes a large slice that non-closed funds don't, it loses a lot of competitiveness. I am not convinced the decision is miraculously the same.

As the first 4% is already sunk, you shouldn't be thinking "dammit I just paid 4% and now I've got to pay another 4% !!". The first one is unfortunate, but just forget about it. You just need to decide if the one 4% you are now facing, ought to be paid. I would ask him why it is that this fund is so much better than all other potential choices as to be expected to make back the 4% in the next decade or so while keeping the same risk profile.

Then the second question if he really does think the fund is worth more money than its rivals is, wouldn't it be more efficient to bed and ISA more of something else in your unwrapped portfolio and defer the ISA-ing of this one, keeping it unwrapped and avoiding buying-back-in fees? Maybe he thinks you are going to need to pay it in the end because at some point you will end up wrapping it to avoid the prospective CGT on this asset getting too wild when you make a big disposal to rebalance. But rather than speculate why he's doing something that seems counter-intuitive, it would make sense to just come out and ask him what could be done to avoid it given you don't like the idea of paying entry fees to something you've already entered.
  • suebfg
    suebfg Posts: 404 Forumite
    Options
    I invested in the First State Emerging Markets (and the Asia Pac one) before they were soft closed. I would never consider investing in them now and paying that initial charge, when there are other quality funds in those markets without the initial charge.

I think you were poorly advised and FWIW, I don't think a financial advisor is required for advice regarding which funds to invest in. They can't see into the future and the past performance of funds is there for all to see.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They can't see into the future and the past performance of funds is there for all to see.

Although that is not what a financial adviser does when selecting funds.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure