PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Restrictive covenants from 1930

Options
I am meeting with my solicitor tomorrow to go through the purchase of a 1930s detached house.

There are some restrictive covenants from 1930s which if followed would restrict what I want to do with the property.

One is a building line which doesn't allow me to build anywhere other than to the back and one side of the house.

I'd like to erect a conservatory at one side of the house and have a garage outside of the building line.

Interested to know if anyone has any experience etc...?

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    1930's most unlikely to be enforced

My 1920's covenants involved not keeping chickens or livestock
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • shaunhouse
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    1930's most unlikely to be enforced

My 1920's covenants involved not keeping chickens or livestock

Yes this has no chickens, pigs etc... Also
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Depends entirely who is able to enforce, whether they care or not, and whether they would know.

But legally, the age of the covenant has no bearing; an 80-year-old covenant is as valid as an 8-month-old covenant.
  • societys_child
    Options
    Could be spooky though, if whoever wrote the covenants comes back to enforce them :eek:
  • shaunhouse
    Options
    It was a mr and Mrs so I would imagine they are no longer alive...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    My 1930 covenants said I wasn't allowed to sell to anyone of 'ill repute ' . My solucitor felt that in those days it was likely to be a lady of the night.

He dealt with it and it wasn't an issue . My buyer were a couple in their 70's so unlikely to be ' a lady of the night '
  • shaunhouse
    Options
    In all seriousness though, lets say I go against these covenants and build a conservatory and move the garage beyond the builidng line.

What could possibly happen as a result?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Amongst other things I have to refrain from carrying on a "manufactory of soot or blood". I'm not entirely sure how you manufacture either soot or blood but do my best not to accidentally do so.
  • Loanranger
    Loanranger Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    Options
    Building forward of the building line may be in breach of planning regulations. Best to check with them. If you don't and someone complains, i.e. an interested party such as the next door neighbours and the people across the road, you may be required to knock it down.
  • shaunhouse
    Options
    Yes agreed, i've actually emailed building control already to check this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure