Accidently sent £250 to the wrong account.

Options
Hi, probably a common error here, just looking for some reassurance.

Basically I ment to send £250 from my HSBC student account to a Santander account but accidentally got the sort code slightly wrong so it went to the wrong Santander account.

I have contacted HSBC where they informed me of my error and offered a 20 day investigation into it.

Just wondering at this point what my chances are of seeing this money again?

Regardless I doubt this is a mistake i'll ever make again.

Comments

• GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,670 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Stoffel wrote: »
    Hi, probably a common error here, just looking for some reassurance.

Basically I ment to send £250 from my HSBC student account to a Santander account but accidentally got the sort code slightly wrong so it went to the wrong Santander account.

I have contacted HSBC where they informed me of my error and offered a 20 day investigation into it.

Just wondering at this point what my chances are of seeing this money again?

Regardless I doubt this is a mistake i'll ever make again.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/what-happens-you-transfer-money-6076619
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Stoffel
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, I read those articles earlier.

I guess I was hoping to read anyones personal experiences with this error recently, all threads I could find were pre 2014/16
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Stoffel wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses, I read those articles earlier.

I guess I was hoping to read anyones personal experiences with this error recently, all threads I could find were pre 2014/16

Keep us updated if it gets sorted or not.
  • Stoffel
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Keep us updated if it gets sorted or not.

if I remember I will do

Couldn't find a single thread where the OP actually updated if they had resolved the issue or not.

Hopefully if the articles are correct and HSBC are nice and Santander are cooperative to me I should be fine :)
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It primarily comes down to how co-operative the recipient is rather than Santander - it's not unknown for people to post on here after an unexpected deposit, looking for validation of their desire to keep it because it's not their error.

If the recipient doesn't respond or says they've spent it, etc, that can throw a spanner into the works, whereas you'd hope that most reasonable honest types would consent to the payment being reversed. If the recipient doesn't play ball, chances are that Santander would just revert to HSBC saying they were unable to recover the funds, in which case you'd be left facing the prospect of trying to force them to reveal the recipient's identity and then taking it to small claims.

I'm not aware of any published stats about how successful this process is though....
  • Stoffel
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    It primarily comes down to how co-operative the recipient is rather than Santander - it's not unknown for people to post on here after an unexpected deposit, looking for validation of their desire to keep it because it's not their error.

If the recipient doesn't respond or says they've spent it, etc, that can throw a spanner into the works, whereas you'd hope that most reasonable honest types would consent to the payment being reversed. If the recipient doesn't play ball, chances are that Santander would just revert to HSBC saying they were unable to recover the funds, in which case you'd be left facing the prospect of trying to force them to reveal the recipient's identity and then taking it to small claims.

I'm not aware of any published stats about how successful this process is though....

So if they don't respond or keen to spend what they have just recieved I have problems?
    Annoying about the first point, what if it has landed in an inactive account?
  • paragon909
    paragon909 Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Options
    Use the sort code and account number you sent it to and use one of those bank verification sites and see if its an active account.

Or use faster payment site and check if the sort code is valid.
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,282 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    paragon909 wrote: »
    Use the sort code and account number you sent it to and use one of those bank verification sites and see if its an active account.

Or use faster payment site and check if the sort code is valid.

I think it would have failed to send in the first place if the sort code / account was not valid.
  • Stoffel
    Options
    Yeah I did a check.

Tragically it got sent to a real account. Fortunately it is a UK one under Santander who are in that opt in measure on accidental payments.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure