PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

cheaper cuts of meat

Options

Comments

• foreign_correspondent
    Options
    belly pork is lovely!!! I could just eat that now, but am trying to lose weight and its not the leanest - which is why its lovely - ho hum, such is life!!:confused:
  • Lily-Lu
    Lily-Lu Posts: 428 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I also use lamb neck for stews. I find the meat really tender and very flavoursome. Can get 3lbs for £2.99 in the local butcher, and as there's only 3 of us, it does for two sets of meals.

I was brought up on stews and basic OS cooking. Mum used to use skirt as well as lamb necks in stews, and sometimes there'd be a bit of kidney thrown in there as well. Kidney's quite cheap and helps keep the cost down a bit. Another thing my mum cooked on a regular basis was liver and onions in onion gravy. Absolutely delicious with mashed potatoes and carrots. Ox liver seems to be the cheapest. A good sized pack which does for 3 of us was only 45p in Morrisons. I throw in a couple of sausages as well, and there's three of us with full tummies for about £1.50 :D
  • froogirl
    Options
    Hello.

Does anyone have any advice or tips on buying and using the really cheap cuts of meat? I was in the butcher's this morning staring at rows of baked knuckles, belly chops, hearts and other grisly stuff without a clue of what you'd actually do with any of it. It was really busy, so I just lurked on the sidelines and then left empty-handed.

This is my first post, so I hope I'm doing this right. I've been reading all the fantastic information here for a few weeks and feel I've found my spiritual home!

Thanks in advance for any tips.
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For a joint of meat, you can't go wrong with a shoulder of pork. It's cheap enough to have for Sunday dinner, then what's left you can have with chips for tea Monday, or take to work on sandwiches.
    Lamb's liver is gorgeous, cooked in gravy with onions, serve with a big huge pile of mash and some cabbage.
    Lamb ribs I get from Morrisons, very cheap and make a lovely stew, pack it out with carrots, onions etc.
    Belly chops are nice done in a barbeque sauce, all men love it for some barmy reason, it's like caveman food they can eat with their fingers.
  • Generali
    Generali Posts: 36,411 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Generally speaking, the cheapest cuts of meat benefit from braising (stewing), ie being cooked at a low temperature for a long time in liquid. That isn't always the case for offal but it is for most of the cheaper cuts of meat.
  • HypnoNu
    HypnoNu Posts: 677 Forumite
    Options
    This might help...
    there's guide for beef, pork,lamb,etc. if you click on each part of the animal it show's you what the cut of meat looks like and tells you how to cook it (i.e. roast, stew,etc)

http://thefoody.com/basic/basicmeats.html
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Hi there :beer: We're huge fans of oxtail, lamb shanks, offal :D I'll add this to the existing thread on this subject for loads for ideas and recipes ;)

BTW - you could do worse than have a chat with your butcher s/he is likely to be delighted that you're interested!

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • competitionscafe
    Options
    Hello! :D

If your local library has a copy of 'The River Cottage Meat Book' by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall that has a very useful guide and lots of recipes:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/River-Cottage-Meat-Book/dp/0340826355

You can also search the BBC Food website by keyword to find recipe ideas, eg:

oxtail:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/apps/ifl/food/recipes/queryengine?templatestyle=refine_by_1_gg&orig_kw=oxtail&config=db&scope=recipes&page=1&pagesize=15&attrib_26=keywords&oper_26=eq&val_26_1=%2Boxtail&search=Search

pork belly:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/apps/ifl/food/recipes/queryengine?templatestyle=refine_by_1_gg&orig_kw=pork+belly&config=db&scope=recipes&page=1&pagesize=15&attrib_26=keywords&oper_26=eq&val_26_1=%2Bpork+%2Bbelly

I am not a huge fan of offal (liver, kidneys, heart, tripe, etc) , so my favourite cheaper cuts are pork belly (for roasting), scrag of lamb (for Irish stew) and shin of beef and oxtail for stews/casseroles/daubes.

Don't be afraid to ask your butcher though - any decent one will be very helpful and friendly. ;)
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • Pretani
    Pretani Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Options
    Pork loin is good value, I buy around £10 worth of it and cut it into 9 or 10 steaks and freeze. Each chop is the size of a normal pork chop, but without the bone. The meat has very little fat and is easily overdone. It literally takes a few minutes each side

pork-loin-roast.jpg

Pork roast (pork collar) is cheaper. It has more fat and is very good marinated and slow roasted.

32.jpg
  • froogirl
    Options
    Thanks for adding my question to this thread, Penny - I obviously didn't search hard enough before posting! And thank you for all the suggestions. Lots of long, slow cooking is ahead, I think, along with a BBQ sauce belly pork treat for the OH.

The Foody link is great - at least I can now identity which part of the animal all these weird bits come from. And I'll definitely get the River Cottage Meat Book out of the library.

Thanks again - I'm off to read and make notes on the rest of this thread now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure