2017 Frugal Living Challenge

Options

Comments

• Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 9 July 2017 at 3:53PM
    Options
    allie23 - Have amended my post. Both frames total cost £138. Lens should have cost £45 per frames. Sorry for the confusion. But still happy with the money I have saved. It is amazing how expensive they cost if you need glasses for both distant and reading.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • Kerry_Woman
    Options
    I had to get new trousers for work recently. Managed to get 2 M&S ones in a charity shop for £3 each. They still need to be turned up and they are just slightly too long. I was planning to buy a tub of coconut oil to try. Went to a show in Olympia on Friday and there was a tub in a free goody bag(a good size one as well). I was just talking to my Mum during the week about getting a tub and see if it will be any good for her nails. She has psoriasis and it has affected her nails as some have come off. I read it is good for strengthening nails. Might help with the skin as well.
  • allie23
    allie23 Posts: 1,858 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 July 2017 at 8:18PM
    Options
    Afternoon everyone. Been having a think about how to get myself motivated again. I am planning a spending freeze next month which I think me and OH will find quite hard. We have got into some bad habits, particularly takeaways and nipping down to the local corner shop for bits here and there which all add up.

I did my first 'womble' today in a long time at Asda. I just haven't had time to do this regularly since going back to wok full time. But today was good going. In total the 4 receipts were worth £7.66. I have set myself a wee goal to try and get roughly £20 - £30 to put towards a bottle of whisky which will form part of a gift for my Dad's 70th birthday this year.

Plans for out spending freeze next month still have to be agreed with OH but my main ideas for now are:
    1. No takeaways
    2. Bake treats at home regularly rather than nipping to the shop for a packet of biscuits (and the rest).
    3. Packed lunches for work. I go back to work on 21 August and before we finished up for hols I was really tired and had lost the will to think what I could have for lunch, so ended up going to the canteen each day. The food there is not great plus it's expensive, so I want to focus on lunches and snacks from home. OH will also take HM lunches to work.
    4. Womble at least 2 - 3 time a week.
    5. Go through the budget and reduce our personal spends category to £30 each (for dire emergency only)!!
    6. We have 3 birthdays coming up in August. I already have one gift bought so just need to wrap it. [STRIKE] The other will need to be a voucher for various reasons so I might try zeek (never used it before though)[/STRIKE] - done, National Book Token Face value £20 bought for £18, happy with that - and the other is OHs so we will agree on something cheap or free for that.
    7. Attempt to buy nothing from Amazon for the entire month!
    Save 12k in 2024 Challenge
    Frugal living Challenge 2024
  • determined_new_ms
    determined_new_ms Posts: 7,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 July 2017 at 7:07AM
    Options
    As I knew I would I have lost the thread of keeping up with all my spends over the year. I know I'm over budget in some areas and under in others. I'm still incredibly frugal in my day to day life though :)

recent frugal activities include a lot of processing allotment produce to make the most of it :) Due to my chaotic way in life and being busier at times I didn't get all of my seeds sown at the beginning of the season which fortunately has meant we have a glut of one or two things, they start to slow down and then not long after another comes into harvest :)

I've getting around £50+ of hg organic veg each week.

I've picked up some tricks from an old hand at the allotment which have all turned out well :) when my broadbeans were finished he advised to cut them back rather than pulling and they might sprout again and I'll have a second lot. I did this last week and about 1/3 have started to resprout :)

He also suggested when I was thinning swedes and beetroot to plant the thinnings somewhere else and they have come back to life :)

I've made 4 jars of courgette chutney, 3 of chilli jam, 1 of blackcurrant, & 3 of blackberry. all I paid for was sugar, vinegar & got 10 red peppers from a friends work for £2 (instead of £5 I would have spent in a sm ;))

groceries took a nig hit last month - after 2 months of being so busy and madam's birthday party but most months - and was £100 over :eek: but most months have been well under and as a result I have skimmed £60 into a savings account for xmas :money: should also be able to skim over £20 this month as well ;)

I managed to get a perfect dress for a wedding I am going to at a bootfair last week for £3 :) I just need to take it up.

I have many mixed feelings about working part time. I love the time off and freedom, and have a very demanding job so often feel like I need the time off otherwise I'd be so stressed. Actually it hasn't been so bad having so little spare cash, although at times I miss the freedom of not having to think too much about spending money if I want something. It's swings and roundabouts!

Anyway I hope you're all keeping the faith x
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • Kerry_Woman
    Options
    Just added up the total for each category for July. Overall total for general spends was high in July. Had to get reading and distant glasses, also had to put my desktop in to get repaired - waiting for that to be sorted out.

Still managed to get some NDS' s during July. Still decluttering as took bag of things to charity shop, some things to recycling centre, general recycling and had to bin some things. Did use up another cream.

Had some temp work last month. Still have to sort out something's for me to start in bank staff for an organisation. Have to keep a close eye on all spending. Did meet up with some people who I used to work with. Planning another meet up for March next year and hopefully more people can attend as some could not come for various reasons
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    I was given 2kgs of plums yesterday so have set about making 3 regular & 3 small size jars of Jam :) I will test it out when it cools but I think 2 of the small jars will be gifts for people. Grand total less than £1 (not including energy to cook)

Also just made a batch of roasted tomato sauce to use up a glut of tomatoes - 1.5kgs of toms not wasted :) mmmmm
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • Kerry_Woman
    Options
    Have added up the total for spends in August. No plans to spend today as no plans to go out or buy anything on the internet. General spending as yet again gone up. It is more also on this time last year. Have managed to do some NSD's. Had to get a new laptop as the shop I put my desktop could not fix it, but got back the £60. Used money from savings for laptop. My brother in law managed to get me a refurbished laptop and so far so good. Did manage to do more decluttering this month. 2 black bags of textiles and the old computer and parts to the recycling centre. A carrier bag of things to the charity shop. General bits in recycling bin in communal bin area. Some things were binned. Did save some money on a few items. Do need to seriously cut back again. Did submit a meter reading today. Luckily I did as if I did not they would have taken the standard quarterly direct debit of £129 instead of £80.37. My mobile phone bill has been lower for the last few months as they have taken off an extra £5 off for loyalty. So happy about that.
  • Kerry_Woman
    Options
    Also done some volunteering during August. Have been doing this volunteering during the summer since 2012, only missed 1 year. They have given us a prepaid card which they put money on so we can put money on our oyster to cover travel expenses and £5 per shift to cover refreshments. So had to go to M&S to get the refreshments. Any excuse to go there and enjoyed the refreshments.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have totally lost the plot and have no idea where I am now this year - however, I am going to be spending the rest of it back on the frugal living track and make up for my absolute loss of control and at most times, sense!! :o:rotfl:
  • foxyloxy11
    Options
    Pleased that routine is back after the holidays and that I can get back to saving instead of spending. Cupboard checked and meals planned. tomato glut turned into soup and sauces in freezer and have lots of lovely food in there so helping to keep shopping costs down. Feel like I have regained my frugal mojo now the routine has returned.
    loved the holidays but need a bit of order to stay focused :)
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #225 - £1000.00.00/£1000- End of Baby Step 3 (A work in progress)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure