The Debt Free Roll Of Honour

Options

Comments

• moongarden
    moongarden Posts: 478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Just realised that I never actually did this!

a. The date of your lightbulb moment
    middle of 2005

b. Debts at their highest
    £17k approx (started paying off before real LBM)

c. Debt-Free Date
    December 2009, just in time for christmas

d. Your one pearl of wisdom.
    the bigger they are and the more menacing they behave the more rewarding it is when you win! Especially when its bank charges and you go to court and win £2700.

e. Which MSE guides helped you
    everyone who was around back in 2005 to 2007. Fond memories of their being no trolls back then and everyone being so supportive.

f. Which forum threads helped you
    Bah, can't remember now sorry

g. And if you had a debt diary on DFW, a link to it
    Thanks to DFW I learned to keep a 'financial actions journal' which after several itterations I now keep in evernote. That way when I ring a company I can quickly search everything from notes of every phone call to the letters I sent and received (scan them in sad I know!)
  • lucyhope
    lucyhope Posts: 496 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Lightbulb moment March 2008
    Debt at highest £13,560
    Debt free date 25th July 2013
    Pearl of wisdom Don't be afraid to ask for help
    Sealed Pot Challenge member 28
    2018 total £1520
    2019 total £8995
  • Mara_uk7
    Mara_uk7 Posts: 1,219 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Im free .. only the mortgage to go now, but I dont count that a debt, more of an investment !
    Havent posted much on the way along, but read & learnt a lot.
    Thank you everyone :)
    Its just a bad day, Not a bad life .. :cool:
  • Itsadogslife_2
    Options
    Well its strange, I did wonder whether I would feel this massive sense of elation but I don't think it has really sunk in :o. I think the next couple of months will be when it sinks in when I have money left in the bank account at the end of the month.

I have been very lucky in my journey to have had some sums of money (thank you Nan RIP) along the way which have cut my journey in duration by 24 months at least and in laws who have lent money interest free so that we can be not paying the extortionate interest rates that we were saddled with. This in turn allowed us to re-mortgage at a much better interest rate which also helped with monthly payments.

It is time to look forward to the future and start some savings/pensions etc.

If anything, I feel a slight sense of anticipation - not sure why :o

Date of LBM: Approx May 2011 - however it had been flickering for a few years.

Debts at their highest: Somewhere around £40,000.00. My spreadsheet fluctuated at just over £40,000.00 but £39,483.00 was the point I started consciously hammering away.

Debt free date: 24/07/2013

Pearl of wisdom: You have to believe in yourself that you can do this. I was too guilty of trying to keep up with the Joneses when I could afford to, and was dreadful at "I want". The biggest problem with I want is that I didn't actually "need".

Forum threads that helped: All of the debt free diaries are a real inspiration and the people you meet along the way. I also quite liked the Mortgage free wanabee board as something that I could aspire to be at some stage.

Anything else? I believe that if you are in it for the long haul, the odd treat now and again is essential to keep morale high. If you do ever fall off the wagon, get straight back up and draw a line under it. I have learnt so much along the way I don't think I will ever go back to the old ways.
    Just keep swimming!
  • amber03
    amber03 Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Congratulations itsadogslife, all of what you have said is true, words of wisdom.

Enjoy being debt free.xx
    :j Debtfree and and staying that way.:j3-6 month emergency fund, No.61 £140.00
  • sistafromanothermista
    Options
    Well done everyone :D
    It's this sort of thread that keeps me motivated...i want a badge :(:D one day soon i'm sure.
    :beer: To everyone :)
    DEBT FREE AND PROUD:D
    'Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt'
  • misselvis
    misselvis Posts: 285 Forumite
    Energy Saving Champion
    Options
    Massive congrats everyone so inspirational and aspirational- it can be achieved. Am working my way towards my badge soon.........
    misselvis proud and in motion - dealing with her debts step by step :)DFW #107
    challenge pay off 6.5k by the end of 2017~ £388/£6500 challenge 1% challenge = 6% of debt cleared; challenge - build up 3 months emergency fund- £0/£6000
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,292 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    What worries me is that not everyone gets a badge :eek:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Munchin
    Munchin Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi all,

It might take a wee while for it to sink in but I'm DEBT FRE
    E:D

Date of LBM:
    On this occasion Nov 2011 - however I had cleared a previous debt on here a few years before and let it creep up again.

Debts at their highest:Probably around £8000 but I started my diary when I was at £

Debt free date:30/07/2013

Pearl of wisdom:For me it was updating my MSE diary especially when I got a bit spendy. Reading other peoples diaries was so motivational as we are all in the same boat:) and keeping a spending diary. Also Martin's mantra "Do I need it etc"

Forum threads that helped: Lots & Lots - thank you to everyone who popped into my diary or even just lurked and those that helped me in challenges. Special mention to some challenges - Debt free by Xmas, 100 day challenge and NSKs challenges.

So the plan now is to build a savings pot for lifes little eventualities and to try and make sure that I don't build up the debts again. Thank you all for your help:D

• Hopelessly_Hopeful
    Options
    Munchin wrote: »
    Hi all,

It might take a wee while for it to sink in but I'm DEBT FREE:D

Date of LBM:On this occasion Nov 2011 - however I had cleared a previous debt on here a few years before and let it creep up again.

Debts at their highest:Probably around £8000 but I started my diary when I was at £5608.30

Debt free date:30/07/2013

Pearl of wisdom:For me it was updating my MSE diary especially when I got a bit spendy. Reading other peoples diaries was so motivational as we are all in the same boat:) and keeping a spending diary. Also Martin's mantra "Do I need it etc"

Forum threads that helped: Lots & Lots - thank you to everyone who popped into my diary or even just lurked and those that helped me in challenges. Special mention to some challenges - Debt free by Xmas, 100 day challenge and NSKs challenges.

So the plan now is to build a savings pot for lifes little eventualities and to try and make sure that I don't build up the debts again. Thank you all for your help:D

Well done

HHx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport