Hargreaves Lansdown

Options
I received a dividend from Lloyds yesterday. The instructions on my account were to automatically reinvest. After phoning the helpdesk, it turns out that the income has to be in the account on the 10th, then they reinvest "at some point in the next 11 days". So my dividend received on May 16th will be invested between June 11 and June 21.

!!!!!!?! Until now, I have been very passive and invested in accumulation funds. However I now have a number of individual shareholdings, so this will reoccur. Am I being unrealistic in thinking this is dreadful service? To wait for a month for them to carry out my instruction is ludicrous in my eyes.

Apologies if any of the terminology above is incorrect, I'm fairly green to all of this. I suppose I could transfer to another provider, I chose HL simply because they popped up in an ad. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,815 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This is pretty standard for platforms, some are faster and some are slower.
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
  • Redski69
    Redski69 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    I received a dividend from Lloyds yesterday. The instructions on my account were to automatically reinvest. After phoning the helpdesk, it turns out that the income has to be in the account on the 10th, then they reinvest "at some point in the next 11 days". So my dividend received on May 16th will be invested between June 11 and June 21.

!!!!!!?! Until now, I have been very passive and invested in accumulation funds. However I now have a number of individual shareholdings, so this will reoccur. Am I being unrealistic in thinking this is dreadful service? To wait for a month for them to carry out my instruction is ludicrous in my eyes.

Apologies if any of the terminology above is incorrect, I'm fairly green to all of this. I suppose I could transfer to another provider, I chose HL simply because they popped up in an ad. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

That doesn't sound right to me ... in my experience, competitors make the reinvestment the next day at the next Pricing Point for the assets ... maybe worth asking them why there is a delay on the reinvestment ?
  • le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Options
    Probably because automatic reinvestment of dividends are done in bulk at a lower charge.
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

from HL T&Cs,

You choose how you would like income to be treated within each
    Account you hold. If, on a later application, you change your income
    instructions for that Account, we will abide by your later instructions.
    Your instructions will apply per Account, not per individual holding.
    If you choose automatic reinvestment, in each Account, any dividends
    you receive will be held in the income account and reinvested, where
    we are able, in more of the same type of fund or share that paid the
    income. Income will be reinvested once per month on the date we
    determine, and only once it has reached £10 per holding. Alternatively
    you may choose the threshold at which we will reinvest, between £10
    and £1000. Where we are not able to invest, your income will be
    transferred to the capital account and left pending your further
    instruction. Please note you must hold at least one whole unit or share
    for reinvestment to occur. We will normally place the deal between the
    11th and 21st of the month or as soon as practicable thereafter. We are
    not liable for any loss that may arise from price movements before or
    after your automatic reinvestment takes place. If you apply to transfer
    all your investments to another entity, any income payments or
    dividends received in the Account after the date we receive your transfer
    application will be held as cash and not reinvested.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,140 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Redski69 wrote: »
    That doesn't sound right to me ... in my experience, competitors make the reinvestment the next day at the next Pricing Point for the assets ... maybe worth asking them why there is a delay on the reinvestment ?
    Shares don't have a pricing point

It's clear on the income instruction screen

We will reinvest any income automatically for you when it reaches £10 (or your chosen minimum) per holding. Automatic re-investments take place between the 11th and 21st of the month and are charged at 1%, minimum £1, maximum £10.

Remember you are paying a quid or so for this service. You have the choice to have it paid to your capital account where you can do it yourself for £11.95

Some you win, some you lose. My BATS income was paid 05/05 and reinvested 11/05
  • aldershot
    aldershot Posts: 197 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I chose HL simply because they popped up in an ad.

Do you choose your investments the same way? Efficient reinvestment of your dividends should be the last of your worries.:)
  • Redski69
    Redski69 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    ColdIron wrote: »
    Shares don't have a pricing point

It's clear on the income instruction screen

We will reinvest any income automatically for you when it reaches £10 (or your chosen minimum) per holding. Automatic re-investments take place between the 11th and 21st of the month and are charged at 1%, minimum £1, maximum £10.

Remember you are paying a quid or so for this service. You have the choice to have it paid to your capital account where you can do it yourself for £11.95

Some you win, some you lose. My BATS income was paid 05/05 and reinvested 11/05

Don't they aggregate up with all the other End Of Day Share Deals and get placed @ End Of Day at the End Of Day Price ?

Great point that it may be below the minimum threshold though, hadn't considered this !
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,655 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My thought is that you should have a very careful look at what you have chosen and if it actually meets your needs. The costs and limitations may not be what you expect if you opened just based on a pop up ad.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,140 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Don't they aggregate up with all the other End Of Day Share Deals and get placed @ End Of Day at the End Of Day Price ?
    For fund purchases you will normally get the price at the next valuation point, often but not always 12:00. However for shares such as Lloyds the price will be whatever it is when you/they place the deal. Don't forget that for dividend reinvestment with HL this could be many days after the Payment Date. I've never checked before but the contract note for my BATS reinvestment was 11/05 08:39. The one before that was 13:01
  • george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,815 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Great point that it may be below the minimum threshold though, hadn't considered this !

For example, all HL clients who hold Lloyd shares and have opted for dividend income to be re-invested. At a set time between 11th and 20th working day, HL will place a single deal using all the money and allocate the shares accordingly to each client account.
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport