Quick understanding required

Options
I always thought that interest net of tax was based on Gross - 20% (or 40% depending).

Is that not correct, is net actually based on AER - 20% (or 40% depending)?

In which case, and maybe I shouldn't ask in fear of being confused further, how come companies offer 12 month fixed bonds at 7.15% AER and 7.15% Gross, and 36 month fixed bonds at 7.15% AER and 7.67% Gross?

And finally, when ppl say that if your interest rate is less than the bank of england rate (currently 5%), you are infact loosing money. How does that work?

Your help appreciated.

Comments

• ian-d
    ian-d Posts: 371 Forumite
    Options
    I've done some further digging and as I understand it, net is worked out on gross as I originally thought, so maybe someone can answer this.

Why does Kaupthing's rates show as follows...

Savings Account (AER) 6.55% (GROSS) 6.36% (NET) 5.09%

Yet Thisismoney's rates show as follows...

Savings Account (AER) 6.55% (NET) 5.24%

Clearly Kaupthing have worked it on GROSS minus TAX equals NET, whilst Thisismoney have worked it on AER minus TAX equals NET. So which one is right? I only care for the rate I actually get, calculated on a monthly basis!
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    Is there a link to 36 month fixed bonds at 7.15% AER and 7.67% Gross?
  • oldfella
    oldfella Posts: 1,534 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I suspect the interest is paid at the end of the 3 years, and therefore doesnt accumulate over the period, reducing the annual return to 7.15
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    AER and Gross are only different if interest is added to your account monthly and then compounded.

so if the interest is paid once a year after 12 month then AER and gross are the same.

because the way compounding works, if you are taxed then it's better to be paid once a year rather than once a month (as you're paid net of tax and this is compounded)

I've never heard people say about being paid less than the bank of england... maybe you are confusing this with being paid less than the inflation rate.
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    oldfella wrote: »
    I suspect the interest is paid at the end of the 3 years, and therefore doesnt accumulate over the period, reducing the annual return to 7.15

spot on 7.15% compounded over 3 years is indeed 7.67%
  • ian-d
    Options
    Maybe I'm getting mixed up on the base rate question!

So in terms of the example I gave, both being the same account with monthly interest, which is correct? I tend to always go for monthly interest, I like the feeling of receiving "a wage" each month?

Finally, don't suppose you have any links to understanding AER versus GROSS, I don't understand it...and maybe shouldn't ;)
  • oldfella
    oldfella Posts: 1,534 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    the first is interest paid monthly, the second is annual
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ian-d wrote: »
    So in terms of the example I gave, both being the same account with monthly interest, which is correct?

Finally, don't suppose you have any links to understanding AER versus GROSS, I don't understand it...and maybe shouldn't ;)

Guide to AER / Gross here :-

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/interest-rates#AER

On your question. I suspect you're wrong that both rates apply to monthly interest? The latter (AER and Gross both 6.55%) is clearly (as earlier post) for annual interest. So both calculations are correct - and both Net figures are calculated (less 20% Savings tax) by multiplying the Gross (6.36% and 6.55% respectively) by .80.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • ian-d
    Options
    The first example was from Kaupthing's site directly, the second from Thisismoney. They both are the same account, so suspect that Thisismoney may have calculated it wrong, as the savings account is monthly only, as far as I can see. Unless maybe that comparison site can only base them off a annual mock up!
  • dag_2
    dag_2 Posts: 793 Forumite
    Options
    I always thought that interest net of tax was based on Gross - 20% (or 40% depending).

Is that not correct, is net actually based on AER - 20% (or 40% depending)?

In which case, and maybe I shouldn't ask in fear of being confused further, how come companies offer 12 month fixed bonds at 7.15% AER and 7.15% Gross, and 36 month fixed bonds at 7.15% AER and 7.67% Gross?
    Unless I'm greatly mistaken, the gross is the amount of interest you'd earn as a percentage of your original investment if you withdraw your interest immediately upon payment, so that it does not get reinvested.

This means that for accounts where interest is paid annually, the gross and the AER will be the same. For accounts where interest is paid more frequently than once a year, the gross will be lower than the AER, and accounts where interest is paid less frequently than once a year, the gross will be higher than the AER.

For example, assuming you didn't have to pay tax, then in that three year bond you mention, the Gross of 7.67% means that when the interest is paid, you will get 7.67% of your original investment for each year that the money has stayed in - in other words, £7.67 for each year for each £100, or £23.01 for the full three years for each £100.

Why is this equivalent to an AER of 7.17%? Because if you had an account whose gross rate was 7.17%, but which paid interest annually, and you reinvested each interest payment, then the amount of compounded interest you'd end up with after the full three years would also be £23.01 for each £100.

The purpose of the AER is to help you compare the interest rates of different savings products that may have a different interest payment frequency on a like-for-like basis. However, the figure that the bank actually uses to calculate the interest is the gross rate.

But what about tax? You ask if tax is based on the Gross or the AER - in fact it's not based on either. The tax is based only on the actual amount of the interest payments, regardless of how the interest is calculated, and regardless of how frequently the interest payments are made. So, if you become entitled to an interest payment of £100, then tax will be 20% of that, meaning that you will get paid only £80 interest. Simple as that.

If your savings account pays interest monthly, then tax will also be deducted monthly. This means that if your savings account offers a choice between yearly and monthly interest payments, and the before-tax AER is the same whichever payment frequency option you choose, then, assuming you pay tax at 20%, you would be fractionally better off by having interest paid yearly rather than monthly. But if you don't have to pay tax, it won't make any difference.
    Clearly Kaupthing have worked it on GROSS minus TAX equals NET, whilst Thisismoney have worked it on AER minus TAX equals NET. So which one is right? I only care for the rate I actually get, calculated on a monthly basis!
    If KTE's advertised Gross rate is 6.36%, and they pay interest monthly, then this means that the interest paid each month is 0.53% of your balance - that's one twelfth of the annual gross rate. 20% tax is deducted, which means that the amount of interest paid monthly net of tax will be 0.424% of your balance. If this payment is left in the account and interested is compounded over the whole year, then after a year, your balance will have grown by 5.208% - rounded to the third digit. I have calculated this by multiplying 1.00424 by itself twelve times (there's twelve months in a year).

So - where do KTE get the 5.09% figure from? Well - 0.424% times twelve is 5.088%, which KTE have rounded up in their literature. What that means is that if you took out your net interest each month, then, after a year, you'd have taken out about £5.09 for each £100 in your account. But you'll earn further interest on these payments if you don't withdraw them.

As for Thisismoney's figure of 5.24% - I'm afraid that's simply wrong. It's only slightly wrong, though, but it looks like they've made some oversimplifying assumptions in how they have calculated it. You can't calculate how much interest net of tax you will receive just by taking 20% off the AER if an account pays interest more than once per year; the tax for each interest payment needs to be calculated separately.

Hope that helps. :) Please note that I may have got any or all of this completely wrong! ;)
    :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport