Oxford has banned non-recyclable plastic food containers

Oxford has become the first city in the UK to ban non-recyclable food containers according to the Independent.

Do you think this will increase take-away costs?

Should it be expanded to the rest of the UK?
Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Great news. Of course it should. In fact I can't comprehend why it hasn't been banned ages ago.
  • Marktheshark
    Marktheshark Posts: 5,841 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    How do the define recyclable ?
    Those plastic tubs are great for household storage stuff.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • andrewf75
    How do the define recyclable ?
    Those plastic tubs are great for household storage stuff.

Good point. We use those as well, but for every one that gets used I'm sure another 50 go into landfill.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,849 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 April 2015 at 4:06PM
    At least Oxford do seem to recycle the majority of plastic packaging. My council only recycle 1 & 2. The big thing I find annoying is how retailers / manufacturers can supply items in plastic packaging with no recycling code on them, they can stamp all sorts of other info into the container but not a simple recycle code.
  • andrewf75
    molerat wrote: »
    At least Oxford do seem to recycle the majority of plastic packaging. My council only recycle 1 & 2. The big thing I find annoying is how retailers / manufacturers can supply items in plastic packaging with no recycling code on them, they can stamp all sorts of other info into the container but not a simple recycle code.

Its incredible really. Why not simply require supermarkets/manufacturers to use exclusively recyclable packaging?

The answer of course is that big business runs the country and does what it likes.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 April 2015 at 7:07PM
    Having lived in a town in a country in Europe where all plastic was accepted in the plastics bin, I find it frustrating the limited recycling here. Plus the council leaflet says 'plastic bottles' without defining what that extends to. Couldn't they give us the actual code as well?

Also I meant to say, 'banning non-recyclable': who says they're not recycleable?
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The problem is where to put recyclable plastic...
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,611 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Having lived in a town in a country in Europe where all plastic was accepted in the plastics bin, I find it frustrating the limited recycling here. Plus the council leaflet says 'plastic bottles' without defining what that extends to. Couldn't they give us the actual code as well?

Also I meant to say, 'banning non-recyclable': who says they're not recycleable?

It's interesting how different every area is and that there is no standard across the UK.

Our council accepts all types of plastic in the recycling as well as glass and tins.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Sounds good in theory, but misses the point I think. It's more complex than this. Recyclable packaging can actually be much worse than non recyclable alternatives on many important points. Glass jars and cardboard boxes are readily recyclable, but contain greatly more materials and embodied energy than lightweight non-recyclable plastic bags. I've seen quite a few examples of attempts to be more sustainable which end up with low mass, resource efficient packaging being replaced with high mass, high embodied energy packaging just because they're easier to recycle. It's ironic in some ways, but the best packaging in terms of energy and resource use should never be worth recycling as it shouldn't be bulky enough to justify the energy and resource costs of recycling it.

To be honest, I sometimes think recycling is a bit of an ecological menace that needs to be reined in from the worst excesses. Often it seems everyone's so keen to recycle everything, but without ever collecting and considering any real data. Plastics, like the ones often used to make takeaway containers for example rarely make much sense to recycle. They're extremely lightweight and there just isn't much to recover. They're also of little economic value and can consume a lot of water to clean and fuel to move around as they're bulky. You probably don't have to drive a big, heavy diesel fuelled truck full of flimsy takeaway containers very far before you've burnt more oil than making the containers used in the first place. The only reason we transport them the first place is to meet a useful need. Once that's gone, I'm pretty sure they turn in to just rubbish.

Aside from these issues, recyclable or not, I expect the majority of takeaway containers will still get thrown out because they're dirty and the people who buy them clearly value convenience and speed at the time they buy them. A better option would be to help companies meet their needs with the minimum packaging. Many are already working on this anyway. If we can aim for consumption below the point where it's not worth recovering, then recycling becomes a non-point.
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    This is nice initiative i appreciate this and if possible every country should apply this because most of the polythene containers are used for carrying food products and they harm nature as they are non recyclable. This would surely increase some cost but in return will provide a greener and safer tomorrow.

This is an interesting point. I suppose though, I don't think that non-recyclable is innately bad. It depends if recycling is going to save any resources or not.

Perhaps some takeaway places could do well with reusable containers and a deposit system. As long as they can be cleaned up to suitable standards, it could work well and give people an incentive to take part. I expect Indian and Chinese places could make it work, but kebab places and burger places who sell foods people eat out and about probably wouldn't. However, we're not going to get those things recycled much anyway, there's nowhere to wash your kebab tray when it's half an hour past kicking out time at the pubs on a Saturday night in the city centre! Better to use low mass packaging with not too much embodied energy for those kinds of things.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure