Everest Windows Loan pay off in 24 months interest free

Options
Jess999_2
Jess999_2 Posts: 5 Forumite
Help needed! Has anyone else bought a door or windows from Everest using their Everest Home Account, set up over a 120 month period with the option to pay additional accelerated payments to clear the account in 24 months?

The agreement was that if you paid additional payments so that the cost of the double glazed unit was covered in 24 months you would not have to pay any interest on the loan, working out to be the same price as if cash.

I tried to to do this, making additional payments taking me to the 24 month period and now I am having difficulty with Barclays who provide the loan for Everest who said they do not know of this agreement and also Everest who want copies of original letters.

The only person who said I am right is the original salesman who said he does not understand what Barclays or Everest Head Office are talking about and that he has never had any problems with anyone else paying off over the 24 month period so not to incur interest.

Feel like I am banging head against a brick wall and would like to hear from anyone who has had this problem or similar or managed to pay off in 24 months without problems.

Thanks

Comments

• Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    Have you got a copy of your original credit agreement? have you read it to see that it agrees with the terms the saleman said?

If you don't have a copy of the agreement you need to request it from barclays (who will charge an admin fee of £1 - there are template letters you can use for the CCA request)
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • Jess999_2
    Options
    No its states 120 months with no mention of paying off early in the agreement. I was concerned about this when signing and the Salesman stated that it did not matter what the agreement said as there were then letters from Everest to state you could pay it off early and the agreement was just a standard form to sign. There was a letter and document from Everest stating it could be paid off early.

The problems I am having now is that Barclays keep ringing stating I am now in arrears on my payments, when I tell them I have paid it off they try to refer me to the agreement and are not interested in the agreement with Everest, I have written to Barclays sending them the documents from Everest but so far they still keep ringing stating they have not had the letter, even though I have confirmation it was delivered on 28th April. It is always a call centre in South Africa I speak to and they will not but my comments on their account, they just state they will ring back every day until I pay.

I have spoken to Everest Head Office who want copies of the paperwork, although have yet to hear from them.
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like a mess.

Do you know if you were making your payments to everest or barclays?

Did you send the letter to barclays by registered post? if not it might be worth sending again so then cannot say they haven't had it. You could also send them the telephone harrasment letter - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=23624437&postcount=2
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • Jess999_2
    Options
    Payments were made Barclays, I did send the letter recorded delivery and have checked the Post Office website to confirm it has been delivered.

Thank you so much for the link to the telephone harrassment letter, I will definitely try that as it is very frustrating, they will not listen or consider I may have a point and there is some misunderstanding, all they are interested in is that I have not paid a payment this month. They are not prepared to even pass me on to someone higher in their department, just stating they will ring back each day until I pay.

Your help is appreciated I am normally so good with money I do not get into debt and that is the reason I overpaid the payments to make sure I paid off within 24 months so as not to incur interest.
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Options
    Is the salesman still around and will he confirm the interest free arrangement?
    If not have you any way of showing it actually existed?
    I know this is not of any great help, but why did you sign the agreement for 120 payments when you only intended to make 24?
  • PHYTHIAN
    PHYTHIAN Posts: 339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sounds like a right mess and at first glance it is obviously a missold finance agreement HOWEVER, you have to prove it.
    1. Do you have any proof at all that the salesman said this?
    2. Can you get hold of the salesman and ask him to put it in writing?
    3. Have you contacted Everest for a copy of the letter the Salesman showed you?
    4. Can you find anyone else who has this problem? If the agreement exists there must be thousands of others.

The agreement for Finance is with Barclays and nothing whatsoever to do with Everest ( other than the potential that they have lied). The salesman is paid commission on the sale and will also be on an 'incentive' from Barclays due to the length of the agreement ie you pay tonnes of interest and the salesman and sales company gets a rather nice chunk of it. There is obviously a huge incentive for both Company and Salesman to 'bend' the truth.

Sorry, but you may be stuck with the 120 months of payments unless you can prove it has been missold. Do some background work, find some other people with the same problem and threaten to expose it.
    Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those affected (Benjamin Franklin) JFT96...YNWA
  • Jess999_2
    Options
    Thanks for all of your comments. We had two letters from Everest which state that you can pay off within 24 months and not pay the interest, however there was nothing for us to sign, just photocopied letter of how it works and a leaflet explaining. When we initially asked when buying the door why we could not just do a straight forward 24 month interest free he did say that they are not prepared to do that but do it over the long term as some people will not pay it off in time so they win in that they get some customers who will end up paying all of the interest. With hindsight I would had bought it another way I only signed up thinking it I overpaid the 24 months it would be interest free.

The salesman is still around and I have spoken to him a number of times but he just says he does not know what they are talking about and has never had this happen before. He said to send all the paperwork to their Head Office, which we have done over a week ago but have not heard anything yet. Unfortunately the salesman is getting a bit sick of me ringing now and that relationship is on its way out. When I was speaking to him the other day and said about paying off the payments I mistakenly told him I had paid two weeks earlier than I actually had and he said that was the reason why and started shouting at me, so we are not on good terms at the moment.

I would never normally sign an agreement for 120 months and I have nothing else on credit I only did this because they were the only company that could do this type of door and they said it could be paid off in full in 24 months with no interest to be paid.

I had hoped that by putting it on this forum I may find other people who have had the same problems with Everest but no look so far, I have also done a general internet search but can't find anything.

I have also contacted Consumer Advice who had advised me to write to Everest and Barclays which I have done but as yet I have not heard from them. Barclays are still ringing me everyday, they state they have not had any letters from me as yet even though they were sent recorded delivery and I have proof they arrived.
  • PHYTHIAN
    PHYTHIAN Posts: 339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would suggest it's time to get the Ombudsman involved (details should be somewhere on your Credit Agreement) particularly if you have letters/leaflets from Everest. Sounds as though you have become 'piggy in the middle' between Everest and Barclays.

I would also write another letter to Barclays enclosing copies of what you have as well as copies of other letters you have sent, telling them you are taking the matter further as you are quite obviously in dispute. Hopefully it might prompt them to at least do something about it.

A photocopied letter would be easy to forge ( not that I'm suggesting for a moment that you have) but the leaflet could be crucial, particularly if it is an original.

Good luck
    Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those affected (Benjamin Franklin) JFT96...YNWA
  • Former_MSE_Archna
    Options
    Everest have been in touch and would like to get in touch with the OP. Here's its response:

We would like the opportunity to speak to you about your Everest Home Account. Could you please contact us again so we can try to resolve this? Given that personal details are involved we can only do this directly, therefore please email Customer_Relations@everestlimited.co.uk, quoting reference number ON10050404. This email address has been specifically created in order to ensure that emails sent to it are responded to as soon as possible by a senior Everest representative.
  • Jess999_2
    Options
    Sorry I am confused and new to all this, who have Everest been in touch with? I have now managed to get a contact with someone at Everest who was supposed to be speaking to her boss and getting back to us this week to see if we can try to resolve something, but it is not looking very good at the moment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure