0% balance transfer - extra cash to bank acct?

Could I make a balance transfer for an amount in excess of the CC balance and then call the credit card company to transfer the excess to my current account?

e.g. Amex balance is 2000, i make a balance transfer from Barclays for 5000. I would like the 3000 transferred to my current account.

would that work?

Reason i am asking is that I need the cash, not much of a balance to transfer... and there are more options for a balance transfer rather than cash to account.

Comments

• stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    A super balance transfer card may allow you to transfer cash to a bank account, but for the vast majority the answer is no.

See this article for a list of the providers who offer this.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/cut-loan-overdraft-costs
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    neutru wrote: »
    Could I make a balance transfer for an amount in excess of the CC balance and then call the credit card company to transfer the excess to my current account?

e.g. Amex balance is 2000, i make a balance transfer from Barclays for 5000. I would like the 3000 transferred to my current account.

would that work?

Reason i am asking is that I need the cash, not much of a balance to transfer... and there are more options for a balance transfer rather than cash to account.

amex may or may not bounce the 5,000 back as thy don't like positive balances on their cards : but they may not
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure