PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Solid Conservatory Roof No Building Regs

Options
Markashia
Markashia Posts: 5 Forumite
edited 14 October 2016 at 10:34PM in House buying, renting & selling
Resolved, thank you for all your replies! Much appreciated.

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    20 years is about the limit where people (ought to) stop caring about a lack of paperwork. If the foundations were rubbish, why would they wait 20 years before starting to sink?
  • Markashia
    Options
    Thanks for the response! If it was as it was built i wouldn't - i'm just worried about any additional load added by the roof within the last 10. We've had no paperwork on it so i have no idea.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ah, missed the point about the new roof. But I don't think that in itself needs building regulations. Really more a point for you to satisfy yourself via your surveyor(s) that it's structurally sound. What has your surveyor said about it?
  • Markashia
    edited 14 October 2016 at 10:34PM
    Options
    The surveyor just said that it may need building regs but didn't notice any immediate problems.
  • Pete9501
    Pete9501 Posts: 427 Forumite
    Options
    Having looked at this because I am considering a solid roof (although plastic slates), have fitted internal french doors and have a radiator in the conservatory, it does need building regs. I have no intention of going through that palaver.

Sounds like your vendor has made an big effort to make the room far more usable throughout the year by keeping it cooler in the summer with a solid roof and heating for the winter plus new windows.

Suggest you go for the indemnity.
  • Markashia
    edited 14 October 2016 at 10:35PM
    Options
    Thanks Pete - Do you mind me asking why you don't want to get the building regs? Is it that much of a palaver if its done at the time?
  • Pete9501
    edited 14 October 2016 at 11:29AM
    Options
    Bit of a guess, but the original conservatory in this house of yours didn't need building regs at the time it was fitted because they don't if any heating in the conservatory isn't connected to the house CH or at least have a valve to isolate it. That the majority of the conservatory is glass or plastic etc and there is something about internal doors to the rest of the house needing to be external door quality.

We have radiators in the conservatory down on frost setting but can't turn them off from the main house central heating. The french doors between the house and conservatory are very nice mat varnished teak but only internal quality so don't comply. However, they look perfect and fit really well for something that I bought off e bay second hand. Finally we will change the roof to reflect heat during the summer because plastic roofs are dreadfully hot even with a roof window open and I am not convinced glass is much better. The cost of changing all this to comply with building regs is more than I am willing to pay and for what? who benefits? so I will take the risk that the council are not interested in our 1991 conservatory. In 25 years when we move into a sheltered flat our buyers can worry about it, because we won't be.
  • Markashia
    edited 14 October 2016 at 10:35PM
    Options
    That seems fair enough to be honest. Obviously the regulations depend on area but we called our building regs office and they said that they would just need to ensure that the roof contained enough insulation and that the foundations are deep enough to hold the roof. Then the radiator and internal doors would be signed off.

I understand that building regs are only really required when selling but I dont want to face the same problems when selling, seeing as I can obviously give fewer assurances as I wasn't the owner when the changes were made.
  • Pete9501
    edited 14 October 2016 at 11:50AM
    Options
    You can try asking the vendor for any paper work for the roof, but builders could be anything from a one man band to a large company who did the design first and then followed this through without alteration. You are unlikely to be able to tell the difference even if the builder is still in business from a receipt. By chance our extension which our conservatory is built on to has drawn plans which I hold a copy of but this is rare because paperwork gets lost. Just wish they had done the same for the conservatory.

If you have time or are willing to wait you could take a gamble and ask the vendor to sort out building regs. However, they could equally say no. Do you play poker well? its that sort of game and depends on who blinks first, or worse a third party comes in and says we will buy it.

Do not give the council the address as that will stop any chance of an indemnity policy being taken out. You are on a sticky wicket just talking to them about it.

Pete
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I'd also suggest you ask specifcally when each of the pieces of work were done 'some time in the last 10 years' is very vague.

If it was a year ago then there might still be compliance issues. If it was 9 years ago then not only is that unlikely to be a issue, but it is alos much more likely that any potential problems would already have developed.

The sellers must know when they did the work.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure