PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Flat over shop with 80 year lease

Options
seven-day-weekend
seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
edited 13 October 2016 at 4:14PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi there.

We are looking for an apartment as an investment. We have come across one, already tenanted, in a very popular and picturesque little tourist town on the River Severn, 12 miles from where we live. The lease is 80 years.

It is above two shops, one is a furniture shop and the other I think is a
clothes shop. The shopkeeper is the freeholder and the EA thinks they might be persuaded to extend the lease.

It is in a beautiful position overlooking the river and would rent out all day long. The asking price is £85k and it is bringing in £450 pcm.

It has been for sale since last year, the EA says it is because mortgage lenders will not lend on it as it is above shops, and also being tenanted. We will not require a mortgage on the property, if necessary we could raise one on our other BTL.

I see two potential problems here, one is the shops and the other is the lease (although even if the lease shortens it will always make a nice holiday home until it runs out, either for us or our son - at just over £1000k a year this could be a viable option - or stay as a rental property).

I forgot to ask if it was listed or in a Conservation area, will ask when I ring back. (If it is listed then that will kill it stone dead).

Is it a terrible proposition to even think of buying it? We love the town and frequently visit, as do many other people.
(AKA HRH_MUngo)
Member #10 of £2 savers club
Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton

Comments

• Jackieboy
    Jackieboy Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Options
    Ironbridge?
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Jackieboy wrote: »
    Ironbridge?

No......Bridgnorth
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
  • Jackieboy
    Jackieboy Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Options
    No......Bridgnorth

Equally lovely.:)
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,282 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Once you have owned for 2 years you will have a statutory right to a lease extension so it is not necessarily a case of "persuasion". Alternatively you could ask the vendors to issue a Section 42 notice and assign you the rights which will avoid the two year wait.

There is obviously a cost which you can estimate here ..
    http://www.lease-advice.org/calculator/
    ... plus you have to pay for both your own and the freeholders survey and legal fees if you go down the formal route.

Of course if the freeholder can be "persuaded" informally then even better.

There are mortgage companies who will do BTL above shops, not a problem especially as they are not hot food.

Obviously it can't be both a BTL and a holiday home at the same time. When you do your sums allow for the lease extension and don't forget the stamp duty surcharge on second homes.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    anselld wrote: »
    Once you have owned for 2 years you will have a statutory right to a lease extension so it is not necessarily a case of "persuasion". Alternatively you could ask the vendors to issue a Section 42 notice and assign you the rights which will avoid the two year wait.

There is obviously a cost which you can estimate here ..
    http://www.lease-advice.org/calculator/
    ... plus you have to pay for both your own and the freeholders survey and legal fees if you go down the formal route.

Of course if the freeholder can be "persuaded" informally then even better.

There are mortgage companies who will do BTL above shops, not a problem especially as they are not hot food.

Obviously it can't be both a BTL and a holiday home at the same time. When you do your sums allow for the lease extension and don't forget the stamp duty surcharge on second homes.

Yes, I understand that :) I was thinking more of when we have shuffled off this mortal coil. Our son might want it as a holiday home, especially as he doesn't drive and he can get there by bus :)

Thanks for your other advice, very informative and I'm glad you haven't laughed me off the forum. :)
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
  • HouseBuyer77
    Options

Though lease is already at the magic 80 years. So could be an expensive statutory extension.
    The shopkeeper is the freeholder and the EA thinks they might be persuaded to extend the lease.

I'm sure they do, but then as you can't mortgage it this may be a tricky property to sell so the EA will be very keen to sweet talk any proceedable buyer into offering.

I'd investigate the potential costs in a statutory extension and have a chat with the shop-keeper to work out how ameanable they'd be to extending the lease and for what price and under what terms.

It's unlikely you could get an actual extension deal sorted in writing before you're exchanging so you'll just to judge yourself for your chat with the shop-keeper how likely that is.

You do however have the statutory route where you can make a good estimate of the costs in advance.

You can use that estimate to determine how good of an investment this is and then determine potential upside if the shop-keeper offers you a good extension deal.

If it looks like a bad buy factoring in the likely costs of a statutory extension doubtful it's worth it unless you seriously trust the shop keeper to offer a far better extension deal.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    UPDATE: Thanks all for your advice.

We drove out this morning to look at the flat from the outside. It is in very bad condition, rainwater goods sagging and in some places held together with tape, render that needs repairing at the back; and despite being so close to the river manages not to have a river view out of the lounge window (which is at the rear), because of another building in the way.

So we will not be pursuing it. Thanks again.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
  • Pete9501
    Pete9501 Posts: 427 Forumite
    Options
    What a shame, now you know why its cheap and no one else has bought it. Worth a rediculous offer perhaps? say £60k. The answer will be no and the offer kept on file.

My parents had a Ledbury estate agent come back to them 18 months after a low offer and a "no" answer begging them to offer the same again. Funny old world.

Pete
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Pete9501 wrote: »
    What a shame, now you know why its cheap and no one else has bought it. Worth a rediculous offer perhaps? say £60k. The answer will be no and the offer kept on file.

My parents had a Ledbury estate agent come back to them 18 months after a low offer and a "no" answer begging them to offer the same again. Funny old world.

Pete

The EA told me that no-one had bought it because of a) trouble with mortgage due to being over a shop and b) because people didn't like the idea of two pubs and a takeaway nearby. Whilst I understood these reasons, I did wonder why an investor hadn't snapped it up.

It looks OK from the front, but the back and side is in a bad state of disrepair. So the freeholder obviously doesn't look after it.

I also am not sure about the parking situation. There are cars parked at the back, but there appears to be no allocated parking. There are double yellow lines at the front.

All this coupled with the short lease has mad us decide noty to bother. It IS a shame, but I should have known a property in that location wouldn't be that cheap without a very good reason.

Thanks for your interest.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure