Android Pay and £30 limit

Options
Just trying to make maximum use of the 5% cashback by using Android Pay and my newly acquired Santander Lite account. Went out to lunch and as it was above £30 it wouldn't work. So I was wondering whether it was worth creating a list of establishments who won't allow Android Pay above £30. I'll start it off with Marstons Restaurants.
I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?

Comments

• deew73
    deew73 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Contactless payments have upper limit of £30 so i guess this is the same
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    deew73 wrote: »
    Contactless payments have upper limit of £30 so i guess this is the same

Android Pay is different, so you guess wrong. Up to £30 you can use your locked phone, above £30 needs to be unlocked.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    It depends whether or not the business you're using has enabled higher value payments on their terminals.

For example you could go into Boots the Chemist and spend £50 and you'd be able to use Android/Apple Pay.

Other retailers such as Lidl/Aldi and similarly Sainsbury's also have higher limits for mobile payments as do IKEA.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,033 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I bought something in Curry's the other day and they don't do contactless payments at all. When I asked why I was told that most of their transactions are above £30.00 so it's not worth their while.

They didn't realise (or probably) care that Apple Pay allows payments up the cash withdrawal limit of the card.

I bought a cable costing £11.99!
  • mt99
    mt99 Posts: 472 Forumite
    Options
    on the basis that this is a money saving site hope you dont mind my pointing out you probably went to the mist expensive place to buy your cable....!
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just trying to make maximum use of the 5% cashback by using Android Pay and my newly acquired Santander Lite account. Went out to lunch and as it was above £30 it wouldn't work. So I was wondering whether it was worth creating a list of establishments who won't allow Android Pay above £30. I'll start it off with Marstons Restaurants.

Did you unlock your phone before trying it?

Everywhere i have tried it above £30 it has worked each time. Even in an independent business where they insisted that it would not work above £30 ever.
  • paragon909
    paragon909 Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Options
    I find having to hold a big phone and have it unlocked just to use android pay annoying.

Where as a small plastic card with a RFID chip will do the same job. More trouble than it's worth. Plus it's against the law to use your phone for drive thru etc, So kind of a waste of time. Maybe handy if you forgot your wallet or something, But that's about it.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    paragon909 wrote: »
    I find having to hold a big phone and have it unlocked just to use android pay annoying.

Where as a small plastic card with a RFID chip will do the same job. More trouble than it's worth. Plus it's against the law to use your phone for drive thru etc, So kind of a waste of time. Maybe handy if you forgot your wallet or something, But that's about it.

Can you make contactless payments over £30 with your small plastic card?
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    paragon909 wrote: »
    Swap your phone for an iPhone which doesn't need unlocking just to pay. Better still, get an Apple Watch as well, so you don't even have to reach for your phone at the till.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,033 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    mt99 wrote: »
    on the basis that this is a money saving site hope you dont mind my pointing out you probably went to the mist expensive place to buy your cable....!

Yes, I know! It was a domestic emergency situation and Currys was the nearest place. And I needed it 'then'.

Won't do it again sir!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport