We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

weeds

Options
I have a problem with weeds in my back garden. I bought the house in July 2014. It was terrible st that point. I pull out about 800 weeds per day. I should finish in early 2019.

On a serious note; do people pull out weeds on the lawn? I have tried applying weed and feed a few times since I moved in but it has has little effect

Comments

• savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Its a bit late now to use weedkillers you need to sue them when plants are actively growing.

My allotment in 2014 was covered in weeds. I sprayed weedkiller in march 2014 and I now keep on top of them by weeding regularly that's really the only way even f you kill weeds there are billions of seeds in the ground waiting for there chance. if you get them early they easier to pull out.

I have a little too thats like a screwdriver with a fork in middle can easily pull out dandelions if they small and I use a small hand fork for rest.
  • w00519772
    w00519772 Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    Options
    savemoney wrote: »
    Its a bit late now to use weedkillers you need to sue them when plants are actively growing.

My allotment in 2014 was covered in weeds. I sprayed weedkiller in march 2014 and I now keep on top of them by weeding regularly that's really the only way even f you kill weeds there are billions of seeds in the ground waiting for there chance. if you get them early they easier to pull out.

I have a little too thats like a screwdriver with a fork in middle can easily pull out dandelions if they small and I use a small hand fork for rest.

Is it worth pulling them all out? There would be holes all over the lawn afterwards.
  • savemoney
    edited 14 November 2015 at 12:46AM
    Options
    Yes you can use a small tool like I got can pull small dandelions out easily and it doesn't leave much in way of holes should be easy when ground is wet

This is type of thing I have

4059nb.jpg

These are good too but not cheap

I think aldi had a cheaper version of one earlier this year

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/fiskars-weed-puller---stainless-steel-and-aluminium-178414
  • w00519772
    w00519772 Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    Options
    savemoney wrote: »
    Yes you can use a small tool like I got can pull small dandelions out easily and it doesn't leave much in way of holes should be easy when ground is wet

This is type of thing I have

4059nb.jpg

These are good too but not cheap

I think aldi had a cheaper version of one earlier this year

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/fiskars-weed-puller---stainless-steel-and-aluminium-178414

Your link is broken. What is the benefit of a weed puller in comparison to just pulling out the weeds?
  • savemoney
    Options
    A tool for dandelions usually removes the whole plant if you leave a tiny bit of roots in soil it will come back

Fiskars weed puller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OebDnet38k

http://www.diy.com/departments/fiskars-weed-puller/228138_BQ.prd
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Weeds are best attacked with weedkillers when actively growing, so now is no good.

Lawns can be treated in late spring with selective weedkillers which target only broadleaved plants, but what level of weeds is acceptable, and which ones, determines how this is done and how often.

For example, dandelions can receive spot treatment because they are large. If clover is unacceptable, then an overall treatment, at more expense, would be appropriate.

I'd love to have the time to fret over clover! :rotfl:
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just to emphasise that there are specific lawn weedkiller sprays on the marker. Spraying glyphosate everywhere might not be a good idea.

Read the label - you're not supposed to spray before mowing, after mowing or during a drought.

I also use one of the weed puller tools to lever out dandelions and the like. It's a cheap and nasty one that bends if you lever too hard. Just grabbing hold of the leaves and pulling doesn't work on things with tap roots. You have to get at least some of the root out as well.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Verdrone... to hit lawn weeds. The lawn feed/weed killer not too effective at knocking weeds out.
  • briancarter
    Options
    I use an onion hoe when the weather is warm and the weeds are actively growing. You can weed a large area relatively quickly and all you do is let the warm weather dessicate the weeds that you have uprooted on the soil surface. If the beds are bare soil then i would glyphosate when the weather starts to warm up - pick a day when there is some moisture on the plants to aid uptake of the weed killer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure