iii threatening to sell my shares if i don't pay quarterly fee

Options
13»

Comments

• matzuba
    Options
    Hey there

Welcome to the club!

How are you getting on with you claim/dispute? What was the outcome when you spoke to them? Keen to hear how you have gone with them. They are still refusing to budge so the advice given is to download the form and submit.

They give 100 odd if you switch to them for new accounts, they are really making such a big deal of this!

come back to me - tried to pm you but couldn't cheers
  • cambb
    cambb Posts: 219 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,
    Sorry for digging this old thread up but i have just received a letter telling me that they are going to sell my shares to pay this fee. i havnt logged onto the account in over 2 years and they have taken 10 x £20 charges from me. Did anybody get the fees refunded?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    cambb wrote: »
    Hi,
    Sorry for digging this old thread up but i have just received a letter telling me that they are going to sell my shares to pay this fee. i havnt logged onto the account in over 2 years and they have taken 10 x £20 charges from me. Did anybody get the fees refunded?

Yes, some people got the charges refunded early on and were much smaller amounts but you are now looking a number of years later. So, a goodwill gesture refund was cheaper than stringing out a prolonged complaint.

They have done nothing wrong and are applying the charge correctly. So, why do you think you should get a refund?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • matzuba
    matzuba Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    I guess the question of doing nothing wrong is a matter of opinion.

I believe The question was raised if they provided adequate notification of the introduction of fees and if acceptance was given to the new terms and conditions they applied to a holder's account.

In my case, i did not receive the notification and they have not been able to prove it was sent I was getting other daily update emails about my stock and then this stopped, then i started getting emails about having a secure message in account, when i login to a new platform, i found they had applied fees which i knew nothing about. The re-sending of emails coincided with moving my account to their new platform.

My case is still ongoing with the ombudsman. you're lucky they even wrote to you about selling your shares, they didn't even do that with me or give the chance.

I would ask though, if you got their most recent letter, have you received any others? emails? phone calls? chasing you up about paying these "fees". There has to come a point where a company has done all they can i suppose and some responsibility has to be place on the individual to manage their affairs.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My case is still ongoing with the ombudsman. you're lucky they even wrote to you about selling your shares, they didn't even do that with me or give the chance.

There is the possibility that FOS, due to its current high workload with PPI, may offer the them the chance to settle the complaint and avoid the FOS fee. In small value cases, it can be cheaper for them to pay up rather than pay the FOS fee.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • matzuba
    matzuba Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    So the final decision from the FOS is that do not up hold my complaint and side with II.

They say i can reject the decision but not really sure what that means?

I had 2 complaints...

1. The fees were unfair as i did not know or agree to them
    2. They told me i could not take any action on my account until i had cleared the fees and then some months later, sold some of my shares to cover these fees - with no indication they were going to do so. No opportunity was given to retain the shares.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure