PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• wort
    wort Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Karcher- hope today is better for you.

Tea ended up as hm gf pizza, as after I taken the cat to the vet, my other sister came to take me food shopping.
    Today I've had usual 2 toast with cheese spread, lunch at work will be hm leek and potato soup that I lifted out the freezer, with a roll and butter. Also I will take a muller corner, there is usually some fruit at work I can eat on my 2nd break.
    Tea tonight is a ready meal, of Spanish bravas chicken, as I know I cba when I get home from a full day at work !!
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone

wort - don't blame for organising something easy for when you get in. HM leek and potato soup is one of my favourites, it always hits the spot.

I'm currently munching toast and cheesespread, I've the last of the hm chicken broth defrosting for lunch and I'll make goulash in a bit for tonight. If I cba I'll make dumplings to go with it, if not I'll have some of the mash I made at the weekend. At the moment I'm favouring the dumpling option as it's back to being baltic and due to drop near freezing this evening.:)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    All these toast/cheese spreads going on - I'll have that for breakfast.
    Then toast/hoops for lunch.

That'll be three slices of bread gone from the frozen loaf.

I do hate frozen bread really ... it takes up a disproportionate amount of freezer space for an item that's almost omnipresent.

You buy a loaf, freeze half ... and you can't buy a new fresh loaf until you've eaten the frozen half else you'd end up buying a new loaf and immediately freezing half.... so two frozen half loaves. That cannot be allowed to happen.
  • caronc
    Options
    I try to avoid freezing bread though do sometimes have to. I always think bread that has been frozen even toasted doesn't taste quite "right"! I don't find the same issue with crumpets or pitta bread, just sliced bread and rolls. It's definitely a CFO conundrum and I refuse to a) stop eating bread or b) pay over the odds for a half-sized loaf so a ongoing issue - though the birds do benefit and I sometimes make breadcrumbs or croutons with any stale stuff.
  • PasturesNew
    edited 28 November 2017 at 12:41PM
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    I try to avoid freezing bread though do sometimes have to. ...though the birds do benefit and I sometimes make breadcrumbs or croutons with any stale stuff.

While there are a ton of things I "could" make with the bread, it doesn't actually address the root of the problem does it.

You'd need to either know that every time you bought a loaf you HAD to eat a bread/butter pudding, or similar, or make lots of breadcrumbs and then use those up that week too (to prevent stockpiling of those when the 2nd loaf enters the house). "Solutions" would only work once - and then only if you fancied it and and the additional ingredients in the house to make the XYZ that "uses it up".

Eating a whole loaf of bread a week, EVERY week, would be daunting. It's not that one couldn't do it, by choice, occasionally, but as a lifestyle need/commitment it'd soon grate :)

I do try to "have a break" from many products, to prevent the endless eating of them. Bread is one of those. Potatoes are another. Eggs too. Things that, once bought/used I'm sick of the sight of, so have a break from having them in the house.

But then things get out of sync and you end up where "if only I had ABC I could make XYZ" but you're on a break from that ingredient :)

In the end I went straight to the toast/hoops & cheese .... as it was a hot meal and it's freezing here. I'll save a slice of toast + a cheese triangle as a treat for later :)
  • caronc
    Options
    No if I made "stuff" from the stale slices every time I'd be overun by breadcrumbs and croutons which would create a different set of problems!!:eek: I do have toast most days for breakfast though so that takes up a good few slices, 3 or 4 days lunch will be something on toast or a sarnie so in the main I get through most of a loaf most weeks:cool:. I wouldn't want to have a bread "holiday" as such so don't mind if a few slices are fed to the birds so I can get a fresh loaf. I never used to have this problem when I had the pooch as he was partial to some toast or bread soaked in soup. :)(on reflection he was partial to most things.....;))
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,225 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 28 November 2017 at 4:21PM
    Options
    'Afternoon folks

Seems a fair bit of "soddits" around at the moment, at least it is possible to say it on here without getting trolled or SHOUTED at as most of us have our ups & downs along our CFO paths so although we can't Fix it, we can empathise

Nil breakfast, had time just didn't fancy it this morning

Made up for it at mid morning volunteering coffee break, someone brought in cinnamon bun thingies, so that was late breakfast

No Lild YS worth having for me, there were loads of sliced cooked chicken breast packs, but I am a bit picky on chicken, free range and all that, so not for me.

Not so picky on mince pies though, found a dozen more for my stash, plus a jumbo jar of pickled gherkins, just for me & one of the granddaughters, luckily no one else likes them so it is our private jar at Christmas:)

The "fancy some crisps" elf put a jumbo pack of meaty crisps in my trolley:o

Lunch was the very last of the LO SC pork, with very last of the LO stuffing, in a sarnie.

dinner, will be yesterday revisited, grilled gammon steak, eggs, fried sliced LO spuds. Last of them all. A bonzo use up day today

A different new meal day starts tomorrow

Bread, I find one loaf does me for a week, mainly for one sarnie a day, sometimes have a bit left over,which I keep in fridge and use for toast. I mostly use Lild white toastie, 45p, I prefer thicker slices plus it keeps OK.
    My alternative is Morries thick sliced wholemeal, but not always in there to buy it
    All these toast/cheese spreads going on - I'll have that for breakfast.

Now I fancy some, luckily I have a tub of soft cheese spread to hand
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I`ve been in a food soddit mood for a few days, so today have scoffed the last of the white cob for breakfast and again for tea and thank goodness it is finished and so are the crisps, last one eaten at morning break. A good hm ready meal at lunchtime and a berry/stewed apple/yogurt mix for afternoon snack. I fully intended to have sardines on toast for breakfast but cba even opening the tin, so it was soft goats cheese on top. Not enough veggies by any means and that has to change

New day tomorrow and I`ll have to tackle the veg drawer, I need to make veg juice as it guarantees me ingesting 4 different veg in an easy digest form, then later I have to use up the washed broccoli and caulie, so will need a protein, either a piece of fish or a small piece of meat, pot luck meal. Whatever happens after that is unimportant because I will have had the goodness I need but I have pasta to use and rice to use, so it will have to be one or the other at some point
  • caronc
    Options
    Good evening everyone,
    My goulash soup/stew is simmering away and it's smelling great. It's still to reduce down a bit but even so it seems to have made quite a lot:eek:, I've made it before (it's a "Delia" recipe) and don't remember it making such a large amount, however on reflection I've not made it for ages and may well still had offspring at home when I did. On reflection I must have done as I remember that I took some for my lunch to work a couple of times and folk commented how good it smelled. I didn't work at all last winter so it must have been the winter before. Still it will cover lunches for the rest of the week:)
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I have things I SHOULD be finishing/using up ... but I didn't fancy those :) They are brussels bought 2 weeks ago and the last of the carrots bought a week ago. If I had milk I'd just make a giant Yorkie and chuck those into that with some instant mash, stuffing and gravy - but I've no milk as I'm "on a break" from milk for a few days (that whole "sick of the sight of it now - give it a break" thing).

Instead, I did a freezer dash and had the last of the frozen chips and the final 5 kebab meatballs I'd made/frozen over a month ago. I'd made them and put them into a plastic takeaway box, which was overkill for just 5 small meatballs remaining, but there seemed no point in decanting those and creating washing up ...

So the freezer has now been relieved of 1 takeaway box at least.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure