PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Full Survey done. Now what?

Options
neo2020
neo2020 Posts: 50 Forumite
edited 14 October 2016 at 5:29PM in House buying, renting & selling
We had a survey done on the property we are looking to buy today. The property is a leasehold loft conversion in a Victorian block of 14 flats. The ground rent is £150 and service charge is around £1,300 per year.

We agreed to meet the surveyor after the survey for her to talk us through the main points of her report and ask any questions (we'll get the full report early next week).

Issues she identified:

Property

The surveyor's main concern in relation to the property itself was a smell, which my wife noticed during our 2 viewings as well (I did not notice it but my wife's nose is always much more sensitive + I had a blocked nose!). The surveyor is clear that this smell is evidence of some kind of problem, possibly an issue with the soil pipe in the eaves space in the main bedroom.

Building & Management

The surveyor was very concerned about the state of the building and its management.

The surveyor explained that there are a number of visible issues that may need to be addressed in the future at significant cost, specifically:

- There are visible cracks on the left side of the front of the building. Depending on when the building was last painted, these may be evidence of structural problems. (the building has clear not been painted for a long time and the cracks are quite small and narrow)
- The slate roof of the building appears to be the original roof and is likely to need replacement in the next 8 years ("tired" was the word she used)
- The tree in front of the property is undermining a little 1 foot wall which separates the garden from the street and its roots are likely to be doing the same in the opposite direction (towards the building) (the wall is definitely being undermined but the tree is miles away from the building)
- There is wet rot on the outside of one of the windows to another flat, repairs for which would have to be paid for by all the leaseholders.

Basically, the surveyor's main concern is that the property is not well maintained, even though the MC is raking in approximately £18k a year in service charges.

Actions I've taken:
- Spoke to solicitors. They advised not doing any searches until we get the management pack from vendor's solicitor to save money, which I agreed with.
- Contacted EA to gauge the vendor's willingness to address the issues and/or renegotiate.

Is there anything else I need to do? Anything I've missed?

My thoughts at the moment are that if we can get the vendor to identify and address the issue inside the property (surveyor said the property itself was otherwise great), i.e. the source of the smell, the other stuff may be a good bargaining chip but it is kind of par for the course, is it not? If we can get them to knock £3-4k off the price, that covers most of the cost in the first few years? Even if the building needs £35-40k worth of repairs, divide that by 14 and it's only 2-3k per flat.

Is the surveyor likely to be overly negative to cover their backside or is this me trying to talk myself into a bad deal?

Here are a couple of images of the building:

flat.jpg
flat2.jpg

Comments

• Thanetia
    Thanetia Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    neo2020 wrote: »

Is there anything else I need to do? Anything I've missed?

Maybe find another flat to buy that doesn't have all these problems?
  • neo2020
    Options
    Thanetia wrote: »
    Maybe find another flat to buy that doesn't have all these problems?

We are looking but this is the only one we've seen so far that we liked. In fact, we REALLY like this one and have not seen any that we even came remotely close to thinking "we'd like to live here".

There are not many properties in this area in our price range so the market is small and in a month only 2-3 have come on the market...

We would like to make this one work, if we can.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    (the wall is definitely being undermined but the tree is miles away from the building)

How tall is the tree, what type is it and how far is it from the building. I would suggest not miles away.
  • neo2020
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    How tall is the tree, what type is it and how far is it from the building. I would suggest not miles away.

I added some pictures to OP.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 October 2016 at 5:58PM
    Options
    Property

The surveyor's main concern in relation to the property itself was a smell, which my wife noticed during our 2 viewings as well (I did not notice it but my wife's nose is always much more sensitive + I had a blocked nose!). The surveyor is clear that this smell is evidence of some kind of problem, possibly an issue with the soil pipe in the eaves space in the main bedroom.
    A smell is often caused by damp - but the surveyor seems too have discounted this.
    A soil pipe in the main bedroom? Where is the nearest loo? It seems more likely (to me!) to be a soil stack! The outflow from a loo usually passes through an external wall and drops down to groundlevel. However the pipe also usually also goes up (known as a stack to carry smells and gasses to roof level. If this passes through the eaves it may be either the stack does not rise high enough (possible since this is a loft conversion) or it has a leak.

Building & Management

The surveyor was very concerned about the state of the building and its management.

The surveyor explained that there are a number of visible issues that may need to be addressed in the future at significant cost, specifically:

- There are visible cracks on the left side of the front of the building. Depending on when the building was last painted, these may be evidence of structural problems. (the building has clear not been painted for a long time and the cracks are quite small and narrow)
    small crack, no paint for long time, does not sound like ongoing movement, but only a Structural engineer could say

- The slate roof of the building appears to be the original roof and is likely to need replacement in the next 8 years ("tired" was the word she used)
    or it could last 25 years
    - The tree in front of the property is undermining a little 1 foot wall which separates the garden from the street and its roots are likely to be doing the same in the opposite direction (towards the building) (the wall is definitely being undermined but the tree is miles away from the building)
    ignore the small wall. How near the building and what kind of tree
    - There is wet rot on the outside of one of the windows to another flat, repairs for which would have to be paid for by all the leaseholders.
    so there's an small expense

Basically, the surveyor's main concern is that the property is not well maintained, even though the MC is raking in approximately £18k a year in service charges.
    you need to check the accounts - is this money spent each year (on what?) or is it building up a reserve fund?
    from the pictures it does not look in too bad condition, but of course the surveyor has seen it closer to!
  • neo2020
    Options
    Thank you so much for the detailed answer!
    G_M wrote: »
    A soil pipe in the main bedroom? Where is the nearest loo?

The loo is directly adjacent to the eaves which she thinks is the source of the smell. The eaves area is where I inserted the red circle on the image below:

eaves_&_toilet.jpg

How near the building and what kind of tree

flat3.jpg

See above - I don't what type of tree it is but it is huge (taller than the building). It's at least 5-6 metres away from the building and the garden in which it stands is elevated above the foundation, there is like a gulley between the garden and the building itself.
    you need to check the accounts - is this money spent each year (on what?) or is it building up a reserve fund?

Yes, we have requested the management pack from the vendor's solicitors. The reason the surveyor (and me, actually) is concerned is that despite taking in £18k a year, there is no sinking fund at all according to the vendor.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The general rule is that the top of the tree is the same size as the bottom in other words the roots go as far as the branches so if the branches reach the property then the roots probably do to.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Some insurers may charge more or refuse insurance depending how high and how close to the house it is
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • neo2020
    Options
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    Some insurers may charge more or refuse insurance depending how high and how close to the house it is

Building insurance is included in the service charge so it's not (directly) our problem. I guess this will show up in the accounts when we get them.
  • ElsieMonkey
    Options
    i'd be looking into the management company, see what they've spent their money on over previous years and what their plans are for coming years maintenance wise. If the place isn't well managed i would pull out. Properties that aren't managed well aren't nice places to live, and you have no control over making that better no matter how much potential you think the place has. I know I've been there. I'd rather pay higher service charge for well managed property (which I do now do). Research the management company, ask your solicitor to raise some enquiries about their expenses...speak to the neighbours, speak to the management company yourself
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure