PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does house have 3 or 4 bedrooms?

Options
Probably a stupid question, but I will ask it anyway.
When I bought my house 10 years ago, there was a room downstairs that I presume was not built when the rest of the house was built and has been getting used as a bedroom.
I am not sure if it is a garage that has been enlarged and converted, or just an extension.
Anyway, this room had a toilet and sink in a room next to it. I have since internally extended this room and added a shower.
So, what we have now is a large room (say 7mx7m) with a small 3m long corridor leading to a shower/toilet room.
The room has 2 windows, 2 external doors (one in the main room, one at the end of the corridor) and an internal door leading to the kitchen.
The house has 3 bedrooms upstairs, but when I come to sell the house, would I market it as having 3 bedrooms, or 4?

Sorry for the ramble, just found it a little hard to describe. :beer:
“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,968 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Usually a 4th bedroom downstairs is described as 'dining room/ 4th bedroom'. shows the versility of the room and also it means you don't get your time wasted by viewers who only want 4 upstairs bedrooms.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The ea selling the property as to the best way to market the property as they should know the best kind of description that would attract potential buyers to the house in that area.

Seeing as it has it's own shower etc. the room could be described as suitable for a an elderly relative or somebody with disabilities. But then it would be perfect for other uses other than a bedroom- a home office for example or craft room, teenagers den etc. So if it were me I'd have a word with a local ea to get an idea of the way they would market the house.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • davemorton
    davemorton Posts: 29,066 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Cheers for both replies. The house already has a separate dining room so would have to think of another name for it. As suggested, will speak to EA to see what they say.
  • Lurkingtoposting17
    Options
    Sounds like a "granny flat" to me!
    I reckon speak to the EA and see how they would market it, you haven't mentioned how you are using it, so if they EA thinks it would be popular as a potential room for a tenant/adult moving home to parents whilst they save (due to own entrance) you could quickly decorate and furnish it as such. It kind of depends surely on your local market. If lots of young families/good schools they may love it as a playroom, but if commutable to major city a spare room for a boomerang kid with own access/bathroom would likely sell.
  • Returntosender
    Options
    We viewed a "3 bedroom house" to find that it had 2 bedrooms upstairs and the living room had a bed in it.

Estate agents will happily market anything lol.
  • davemorton
    Options
    We viewed a "3 bedroom house" to find that it had 2 bedrooms upstairs and the living room had a bed in it.

Estate agents will happily market anything lol.

Yeah, read a thread on here not so long ago, hence why I described it so much in depth. House still also has all the normal rooms (living room, dining room etc.)
  • Returntosender
    Options
    If it still has a separate living room and dining room, then I would market it as a 4th bedroom. Some people will be happy with a room downstairs, some won't, but it's still technically a bedroom, rather than a living room with a bed in it! If I was selling, I would make sure the listing clearly stated 3 beds upstairs, one downstairs as I wouldn't view a house that has a bedroom downstairs, personally.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 July 2017 at 3:01PM
    Options
    7m x 7m is absolutely huge! Easily big enough for a bedsit or "studio". Even with a "Queen size" double bed, there's still 46 sq m of space!
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • davemorton
    Options
    7m x 7m is absolutely huge! Easily big enough for a bedsit or "studio". Even with a "Queen size" double bed, there's still 46 sq m of space!

:o Had to go and actually measure after you said that, and as is usually the case with males, I over-estimated, its 4m x 6.5m.
    Typical me :rotfl:
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    davemorton wrote: »
    :o Had to go and actually measure after you said that, and as is usually the case with males, I over-estimated, its 4m x 6.5m.
    Typical me :rotfl:

Haha! It's still twice the size of the average double bedroom in most modern houses.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure