Any advice please!

Options
Just wondered if anyone has any knowledge to help me please -

So, I have worked at my current job for over 18 months.
I have had an exemplary record whilst being there. No verbal warnings, no written warnings - not even an informal telling off for my behaviour, or work. Nothing.

I have had a disciplinary meeting a week ago. the letter I received stated the consequences of the disciplinary will be either a final warning or dismissal.
I attended the meeting which was with my operational manager. I put over my defence and talked it through etc.
I was told he would be having a meeting with the higher bosses and would inform me of the outcome.
Today I have the outcome.
I have had a final warning and also a £1,000 (per year) reduction in my salary.
I had no prior notice that the reduction in salary would be a possible consequence.
Also - the letter states the reduction in my salary would be starting from 01/02/2017.
Are they allowed to start a pay cut from prior to being informed of the paycut?
I am appealing against the whole thing - the pay cut and also the final warning.
I do not feel I am to blame for the incident - in fact I believe they are to blame.
I would really appreciate any advice here before I dig into official advice... this whole thing has about destroyed me in just a week.
I work hard, I take my job seriously always and I am absolutely gutted to have this whole thing going on when I pride myself in my work and job. :(
£1000 a year may not seem much to some but it is to me. My wage is low as it is for what I do (that's another story!)
Just really upset.
Don't even know exactly how to go about appealing and if I should know anything before hand. Feel lost - fighting the powers that be... its not nice :(

Thank you.
April 2014: A CAR!!!!!! :j 60th Anniversary Edition of Playboy mag signed by Hugh Hefner/Family pass to Twinlakes Family Theme Park/Rio 2 Goodies/£15 Promod Voucher/Nivea Sensitive Prize pack/John Frieda Cosmetic bag and bits/Tickets to New Kids On The Block + Meet and Greet

Comments

• Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,870 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 February 2017 at 10:48AM
    Options
    Keep in mind that with only 18 months service they did not actually need to follow procedure and could have dismissed you without even giving a reason.

All you can do is appeal following the firm's appeals procedure. Whether or not that is worthwhile is another matter. Very few internal appeals are successful even when there is sufficient service to bring an unfair dismissal claim. In your case there is not so you are, in effect, asking somebody more senior to say that you are right and your manager is wrong. Are they likely to do that?

Even if that were to happen it would leave a terrible working relationship. Realistically your best bet is to keep you head down whilst looking for another job.

Technically no, they probably should not backdate the pay reduction. You could almost certainly make a claim for the shortfall up to the date of the disciplinary decision. Again though, is that wise? If you find another job fairly soon and you don't need a reference from this place then you threaten to bring a claim for breach of contract / underpayment of wages and maybe claw back roughly fifty quid.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,109 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No advice. Just wondering what the "incident" was.
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    Does the pay cut take you under the minimum wage?
  • pinkduvetdiva
    Options
    Were you demoted?
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,555 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Final warning or dismissla is usually gross misconduct. If there is a policy for this, what does it say the consequences of a final written are?
    If they have these policis in place, there should have been a copy of their procedure with a section detailing how to appeal. Have you got one of these?
    As above, a pay cut usually stems from a demotion, not an arbirtrary figure plucked out of the air.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • I fought the law, and the law won. 21 years hard labour and thrown on the compost heap to rot because of my health. Thank you not.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    Sleazy wrote: »
    I fought the law, and the law won. 21 years hard labour and thrown on the compost heap to rot because of my health. Thank you not.
    relevent to the original thread how?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    -taff wrote: »
    Final warning or dismissla is usually gross misconduct. If there is a policy for this, what does it say the consequences of a final written are?
    If they have these policis in place, there should have been a copy of their procedure with a section detailing how to appeal. Have you got one of these?
    As above, a pay cut usually stems from a demotion, not an arbirtrary figure plucked out of the air.
    Doesn't matter at 18 months though...
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,555 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It does. If a company has policies they have to follow them. They can't say 'we're only going to apply these policies to people who have worked here less than 2 years'
    For all we know it could be an attempt at constructive dismissal, which is a no no however long you've worked somewhere.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    -taff wrote: »
    It does. If a company has policies they have to follow them. They can't say 'we're only going to apply these policies to people who have worked here less than 2 years'
    For all we know it could be an attempt at constructive dismissal, which is a no no however long you've worked somewhere.

The only problem being that if you go back saying "you haven't followed proper procedures in giving me this pay cut and I view it as an attempt at constructive dismissal" there's nothing to stop them saying "Fair enough, ignore that, we will go through proper procedures and dismiss you."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure