Credit Card application: student funding not counted as income?

Options
Hi guys.

At 28 I've just quit my job and I am about to start a teacher training course in September, for which I will be recieving a tax free government bursary of £25,000 (~£2050pcm). At the end of the course I am almost guaranteed to walk into a job paying a similar amount, but taxed.

To prepare for the course I need to buy a car (travel is essential) and put a deposit down on a flat. For this I want to get a '0% interest for ## months' credit card borrowing about £3000 and pay it back monthly over 24 months.

After calling my bank (who I've been with ~16 years) they said I was not eligible because bursaries count as £0 income.

Can anyone recommend a) a company that will consider a bursary as income, b) a possible solution, c) companies they have successfully got a credit card with as a student.

I though a £ in my bank was a £ in my bank, but I guess that's not the case in my banks eyes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
James

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Your best hope is called the credit card of mum and dad.

What would happen if you fail to complete the course or decide it is not for you and quit?
    Would you not then think the bank had been reckless in giving you credit without a secure source of repayment?
  • Mr_Hoppy88
    Options
    Yeah I certainly get the risk on the banks part. I just wondered if there was a way around it with a guarantor or something.

Unfortunately the bank of Mum and Dad is not something I am willing to use.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    so who would be your guarantor?
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mr_Hoppy88 wrote: »
    Yeah I certainly get the risk on the banks part. I just wondered if there was a way around it with a guarantor or something.

Unfortunately the bank of Mum and Dad is not something I am willing to use.

Who would be stupid enough to be a guarantor for you?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure