career ideas?

Options
bagwell
bagwell Posts: 4 Newbie
Hi, guys.
I'll try to keep it short.

I'm after ideas for someone (me) who has never had a 'career' or even anything resembling an idea of a suitable one. I'm 32.

I'm not very clever at anything! I don't say this to look for sympathy. Just to help guide any suggestions in a realistic direction. I hate the fact that you're not allowed to be thick in this country - People will say ''No, you're clever!!'' when all evidence suggests otherwise! (Same thing happens with beauty, but that's another discussion!)

I worked hard at school. but didn't get great grades. I went to college to do IT (because my dad done IT. I literally had no desire to do IT or any other subject for that matter). I pretty much flunked it despite trying my best.

From then on, i've been working all sort of jobs for a good decade or so. Mainly VERY UNSKILLED factory work. Some temping jobs in offices - some of which I was let go from for general incompetence.

I worked for a window fitting company (after deciding maybe i'd be better at 'hands on' type stuff rather than office stuff) and I was equally awful to the point that workers complained about working with me and I was let go after a few months. I worked hard, but I made lots of EMBARASSING mistakes.

I struggle to learn things. I've probably got some sort of undiagnosed learning disability if i'm honest! I often can't do simple things that 'normal' people are able to figure out, even if they've never done it before.

Driving work is out. I still can't drive. I have failed my test more times than I can count! I'm still trying, but at this point, it's fair to say that it's a fairly slim possibility

I also got diagnosed with cancer which put me out of work for a while and it made me re-asess my life. - All of my friends are now bordeline rich! Big houses and 4 hilodays per year kind of thing.

I've never earnt more than a few pence over minimum wage. I just feel kind of helpless. My CV much look woeful.

I'm just not really sure what to do. Some sort of course?? Is that possible at my age? And I still have zero idea what i'm good at.

I' just want to live the remainder of my life earning at least a BIT more than minimum wage in a job that I don't hate, and that could potentially pay me a fair bit more one day

I know it's a very difficult question to answer in any way, but I guess i'm hoping to hear from people who were maybe in a somewhat similar situation, or maybe have friends who were able to 'turn it around'?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Have you considered the NHS? You know from when you were ill yourself perhaps to give back, relate to.

As for the must work for a few pence more then minimum wage, I really wouldn't sweat it - I worked out for enduring a different shift pattern every single week with no notice when they decide to change my shifts, I get an extra 0.23p per hour on top of the £7.50 - Last year I got a 2k increase on that of a local minimum wage job but I'd by lying if I said the working hours were fun or that is hasn't taken months to use just some of my annual leave as the nature of our business never slows.

The big homes and holidays could be brought on credit or worse for all we know.

If I was told yesterday that 35 was young then 32 definately is! If you see apprentice type jobs why not contact the employer and hear it from the horses mouth if they could accept you - I nearly considered this myself when there was a HR one going not so long back.
  • gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,709 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    As previous poster suggested what about NHS care assistant type role? If you find you save an aptitude would be guided as to qualifications.
    Or what about horticulture. landscape gardening?
    Would be good if you could be tested as to certain conditions, I wasn't diagnosed as having dyslexia and dyspraxia until over 40.
    Not everyone is academic or practically minded the most important thing is being content in what you are doing.
  • aife
    aife Posts: 220 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You're certainly not too old for a course at 32 , but might not be much point if you don't have any particular interest in anything.
    Maybe try some evening classes or one off workshops and see if anything grabs you - there has to be SOMETHING that is right for you , you just haven't found it yet.
    There's no shame in not being a 'highflier' , we've got plenty of those. You obviously have a strong work ethic - that's a valuable attribute in itself. Maybe something in customer services ? Have you thought about trying temping for a bit ? I think maybe you just need to find a team /environment that's a good fit. And if you can stay in the same place for a while you've got a chance of working your way up to a decent wage without necessarily having to study or acquire qualifications
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What do you do outside of work? Hobbies & interests?
  • bagwell
    Options
    gwynlas wrote: »
    As previous poster suggested what about NHS care assistant type role? If you find you save an aptitude would be guided as to qualifications.
    Or what about horticulture. landscape gardening?
    Would be good if you could be tested as to certain conditions, I wasn't diagnosed as having dyslexia and dyspraxia until over 40.
    Not everyone is academic or practically minded the most important thing is being content in what you are doing.

Regarding care work, a quick google search reads: ''Employers expect you to have some experience of healthcare or care work' - So i'd have to do something else in that line of work first? And would I be able to get THAT job without any experience?

Landscape gardening: That's actually another job that i've done! :) - I actually didn't mind it. Mainly things like using the leaf blower, cutting hedges etc. But my employer needed me to help more with things like putting up fences and stuff, and it suddenly got way too confising for me.

Getting tested for conditions: - Yeah, i'm not sure what's wrong with me! Any examples I give will seem very random and odd (and embarrassing), but for example, when I was working for a building firm, I was asked to help tidy up and put the ladders back in the vans. The ladders were them metal ones that 'extend' and it was extended at the time and leaning up against a wall. I couldn't work out how to 'de-extend' it! I was fighting this ladder for ages! So embarrassing. I must have looked like Mr. bean. One of the senior guys lost his temper with me and couldn't understand how I couldn't manage this simple task! I think he might have even thought I was winding him up! I said ''I've never actually done this before'' and even then he was like ''A moron could work this out in 2 seconds''. He was probably right! To make matters worse, I then couldn't work out how to properly secure it in the van using the elastic cable things. (i'm cringing now thinking about that day:rotfl:)

I have a million more examples similar to that. Also getting lost in small areas very easily. Being unable to catch a train properly and ending up on the wrong platform or on the wrong train or something! haha. My life can be a joke!

Unfortunately, another are I failed to mention is job interviews. I've been rejected for a HUGE percentage of teh jobs i've gone for. I seem unable to 'sell myself', or 'think on my feet'.

You'd imagine that all of the practice would help in future interviews, but it doesn't appear to be the case
    aife wrote: »
    You're certainly not too old for a course at 32 , but might not be much point if you don't have any particular interest in anything.
    Maybe try some evening classes or one off workshops and see if anything grabs you - there has to be SOMETHING that is right for you , you just haven't found it yet.
    There's no shame in not being a 'highflier' , we've got plenty of those. You obviously have a strong work ethic - that's a valuable attribute in itself. Maybe something in customer services ? Have you thought about trying temping for a bit ? I think maybe you just need to find a team /environment that's a good fit. And if you can stay in the same place for a while you've got a chance of working your way up to a decent wage without necessarily having to study or acquire qualifications

Hi. Thanks for replying. I've done temping for a fair amout of time. As you say, i'm just yet to find anything I seem suited for yet.
    spadoosh wrote: »
    What do you do outside of work? Hobbies & interests?

When I get home from work, I tend to just surf the internet most nights. Watch comedy. Read forums, watch videos on youtube etc. I don't know if that qualifies as a hobby or not.
    I also like to go out with friends and play pool and drink beer.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's replies.

I'll investigate care work some more
  • Yazmina
    Yazmina Posts: 291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd address your learning difficulties first. Maybe approach your GP and ask for a referral.
  • fulous
    fulous Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Well, What you need is just right infont of you, may be you just don't realise it. To say you are thick is a huge exaggeration, You are above average smart judging from your post, you just have been doing the wrong things.

Assuming nobody helped you to write this quite engaging post, I say THATS YOUR CALLING. You said you don't like doing stuff, but clearly you found it easy generating that post (from the tone of it), So I say to you consider writing as your career. Not any fancy fiction, you can start by simply documenting your life, your struggles with college, employment and finding a good fitting job. Write in the same way you have composed this post. Put much detail etc. Then approach a number of concessionary publishers (this is where you may require help from fellow MSEs here etc) I know for a fact there are lots of publishers willing to lap-up factual life stories such as yours we can try a few if you pm.

You may eventually be surprised to find your self in similar big-houses and book signing holidays :)
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Options
    As well as care work look into support work. I only started applying after I got chatting to someone who worked on the same production line as me several years ago and she said she enjoyed it. Ive been in it several years and while the job has changed a lot it's still not too bad
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • Sir_Sharmz
    Options
    Have a look into any local railway jobs?

I fancied a career change last year, however I didn't fancy going back to college/uni. So i decided to apply for my local train station in a platform/customer service role. The easiest work I've ever had to do! Entry level role at around 30k pa, unlimited free rail travel, great holiday and pension. Only downside to some people would be the shift work, which I actually prefer to 9-5 hours.

Really would recommend you looking into it as you don't really need any previous skills although customer service would help.

Good luck! There's something for everybody out there regardless what skills you have.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure