PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What to declare to sellers regarding neighbours.

Options
2»

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »
    How much in the future, some dogs only live eight years.
    You're on the wrong thread there, mate. :)
  • PhilE
    PhilE Posts: 566 Forumite
    edited 11 July 2017 at 1:30PM
    Options
    eddddy wrote: »
    The questions that your mum will routinely have to answer on the Seller's Property Information form are:

Having a discussion with a neighbour about a problem isn't a dispute or complaint.

As for writing a note - it depends what the note says. If the note is complaining about something, then I guess it's a 'complaint'. If the note is disputing something, then I guess it's a dispute.

So you could choose your words carefully. But you might get a response which is clearly a dispute or complaint.

Edit to add...

Your mum has to answer the questions to the best of her knowledge, so I guess arguably, if you have a massive argument with the neighbour, but your mum never finds out (and the neighbor never tells her), your mum cannot declare it on the form.

It seems to be a grey area. 'Had a discussion with the neighbors,' could turn into 'made a complaint,' when put into note form. But then 'left a friendly note,' is different to 'sent them a formal, signed letter.'

What I would like to point out in the note, is that if this were to turn into a dispute, its going to affect the value of both our properties. If I can't appeal to their morality, perhaps I could appeal to their wallet.

Ultimately I've got to put my mums safety first, and if I were to lose 5-10k as a result its obviously worth it.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    PhilE wrote: »

What I would like to point out in the note, is that if this were to turn into a dispute, its going to affect the value of both our properties. If I can't appeal to their morality, perhaps I could appeal to their wallet.
    Only if they take the same view on things as you do.

You've spoken to them and they've ignored you. Your Mum's neighbour has spoken to them, and been similarly ignored.

They're just as likely to ignore a note.

After all, from their point of view there's no problem; just a couple of guys in the road behind, hassling them, possibly racially motivated, but they and their mates can deal with it if things get heavy.

You don't really expect this person to go to the computer, key in 'TA6' and then study the ramifications of what they see?

This is assuming they're owner-occupiers. I'm not clear we know about that.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    You're on the wrong thread there, mate. :)

It might help if the OP was edited to say 'my mum's neighbour' rather than 'my neighbour' on the first line.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    and the $64,000 question sometimes might be as to whether the problem in question would bother everyone...

Some people (ie those that let dogs bark themselves) presumably wouldnt be bothered about it - but most of us would.

My ****** vendor of current house could have argued that some people wouldnt be bothered by finding the neighbours trying to use their garden - but most of us would and I duly "dealt with it" firmly.

So there is sometimes a subjective element possibly? That being that, presumably, everyone would object strongly to a neighbour trying to nick part of their garden. But a few people wouldnt object to barking dogs or finding neighbours in their garden for instance.
  • Clutterfree
    Clutterfree Posts: 3,678 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I don't think the problem is barking dogs, it's a ball being kicked against/coming over the fence.
    Or am I getting mixed up now?!
    :heart: Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My ex found this article quite helpful when advising a friend with a problem neighbour

http://www.problemneighbours.co.uk/what-you-have-declare-about-neighbours-when-selling.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure