IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Eye help

Options
Hi all, I received a ticket from parking Eye for overstaying in a 1 hour car park. I've followed the advice on here, appealed to Parking eye, was rejected and they issued a POPLA code. I sent an appeal to POPLA to the address Parking Eye provided on their correspondence and Royal Mail have returned it to me as an old unused address. I have duly forwarded the appeal to the newer address explaining what has happened. Although I posted it (for the second time) within the time frame it was not 'signed for' until the day after 28 day limit. I spoke to POPLA today and they've advised I get a new POPLA code from Parking Eye which I have requested today via email. This afternoon I received a letter from them stating I failed to appeal to POPLA and that they intend to take me to court if I don't pay the now £75 charge.
I'm furious and not sure what to do next. Don't know whether I wait for a new POPLA code or does that put me at risk of not responding to intention of court letter in time or do I abandon a POPLA appeal and just concentrate on the possible court action?

I've double checked my paperwork and they definitely provided the wrong address to me.

Any help or advice gratefully accepted.
Thank you

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    How long since the 28 day POPLA deadline expired? Why didn't you use the POPLA website to submit your appeal?

PE won't issue a new POPLA code by you requesting it from them. Never really heard of that happening in the past. You could ask POPLA to confirm what they said to you in writing, then there may be a very slim chance if you copied that to PE, but I'm not hopeful.
    PE are litigious and you may well get court papers on their way - defendable, but plenty of research needed, help available here.

Whose car park was it? Have you complained to the landowner/retailer/hotel/hospital etc?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If their paperwork has wrong address, then send a complaint with evidence to POPLA and BPA. That alone should get you a POPLA appeal if it gets to court stage if not an outright win.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,357 Forumite
    Options
    I sent an appeal to POPLA to the address Parking Eye provided on their correspondence and Royal Mail have returned it to me as an old unused address.
    What address was shown on the PE paperwork? Was it that of 'old' POPLA, operated by London Councils?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • lollybabe
    Options
    Yes it was the London PO Box address.

I am kicking myself about not appealing online now. It was the 28 day period on 22nd and it was signed for on 23rd even tho it was posted recorded first class in 20th.

I have been unable to find out the landowner but will go into the nearby store and ask for the manager. Tempted to just pay it as I really don't want to go to court but I would struggle!
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,777 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Guys_Dad wrote: »
    If their paperwork has wrong address, then send a complaint with evidence to POPLA and BPA. That alone should get you a POPLA appeal if it gets to court stage if not an outright win.

Do the above. Are you saying you posted it to POPLA (not posted it wrongly, to PE)?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • lollybabe
    Options
    Yes I posted it to the POPLA address Parking Eye had put on their forms which turned out to be an expired PO Box in London. I have forwarded the appeal along with the returned envelope stamped from Royal Mail stating 'expired address' and sent it to POPLA. I'm awaiting to hear back from POPLA today plus I contacted the store I was parked outside and the customer service guy is speaking to Parking Eye today and calling me back. Fingers crossed! I had emailed Parking Eye but I can't see them being in any hurry to respond to me.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,777 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You need to complain to the BPA.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • lollybabe
    Options
    Okay, would you complain to them immediately or wait for responses from Parking Eye/POPLA?
    Thanks
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    Options
    I would complain to the BPA by friday morning at the latest, so wait and see if the people who will call back, call back (they never do)

so either tomorrow , thursday or friday , make the complaint (s) (usually by email) , if nothing has been done
  • lollybabe
    Options
    Good plan, thankyou! 😀
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills