Closed Business - Stuck Funds

Options
Hi, my partner closed her business and asked her accountant about what she should do about the funds. She was told to leave them there and they'd instruct further. The bank has now closed and the funds are locked in a closed bank account and Natwest have told her that she has lost the money and it'll go to the Treasury. Is there anything she can do to avoid losing the money, there's about 3k in account.

Comments

• TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    How long ago did she close down the business?
    Were the funds in a NatWest account?
    Who were the signatories for the account?
    What does the accountant advise?
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • DavidWFC
    DavidWFC Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 29 January 2018 at 10:25PM
    Options
    TBagpuss wrote: »
    How long ago did she close down the business?
    The business was marked at companies house as closed on 2nd January

Were the funds in a NatWest account?
    Yes, the funds were in the Natwest account. YlThe funds are still there but the account is frozen and cannot be unfrozen unless the business is reopened. We've put a request in to be reopened for administration purposes but this was declined by companies house. Apparently after so long the funds in the account will be given to the Treasury.

Who were the signatories for the account?
    Just my partner however she hasn't signed anything, however looking at the filing history on the companies house it shows she DocuSigned it. This must have been used by the accountant without my partner knowing. Although my partner requested for the account to be closed by the accountant, none of this was explained and the question about the funds was been asked numerous times.

What does the accountant advise?
    Not a lot, they put in the request in for the company to be reopened which was rejected as mentioned above. They said they've done this numerous times and never had this issue. They're now asking my partner to speak to Natwest and authorise the accountant to speak to Natwest on my partners behalf.

Thanks for your reply, please see my responses in red in your quote above.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Did she owe money to HMRC, for example?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you are sure that the accountant has fouled up, you may need to sue them through the small claims court (or whatever it's called now) to get the money. The courts can order a company is re-opened, but it costs - so your accountant will need to pay if they're negligent.

May be time to dig out your letter of engagement from the accountant to find out which (if any) regulatory body they're with and their complaints procedure. If they're qualified/regulated, you can complain to their regulatory body and they'll have professional indemnity insurance.

However, if you've chosen an unqualified/unregulated accountant, there is no one to complain to and no requirement for them to have PI insurance, so court/legal action would be your only option.
  • bengalknights
    Options
    The cash should either have been used to pay creditors and any tax bill or taken as dividend if there was none due.

Looks like bad accounting advice
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport