Neptune Russia fund

Options

Comments

• Yolina
    Yolina Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    edited 17 December 2014 at 6:45PM
    Options
    Surreyboy wrote: »
    Does any one else out there have a holding in this fund and, if so, what are you planning?

I have and funny that, I have been pondering today too :rotfl:
    In my case it's only £1k (well less now obviously) and this fund is such a small part of my portfolio that I decided to leave it as is - in the great scheme of things it won't be a great loss and like Kendall80, I might even chuck a bit more at it when (if?) there are vaguely positive signs.
    Now free from the incompetence of vodafail
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can only see two outcomes.
    1) Putin sticks to his guns (yes, deliberate!) and risks screwing over both state and private finances.
    2) He acts in a very un-Russian way, pulls his troops out of Eastern Ukraine, and asks the US and Europe to remove their sanctions.

The superficial reason for OPEC pumping like crazy is to prevent the US expanding shale oil and fracking, but I do also wonder if strings haven't perhaps been pulled. Outcomes (1) and (2) both actually suit both the US and OPEC, so forcing Putin's hand in this way may cause a little short term pain, but long term gain.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • MARTYM8`
    MARTYM8` Posts: 1,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have just started making small monthly investments into this fund- also in Gold/miners and the JPM Natural resources fund. They have all tanked big time in the last few months/year - whereas most other funds have rocketed up in line with the overvalued market.

Russia will have its day again - it has natural resources by the shedload. All the UK has are overpriced houses and banks. One real and tangible - the other a matter of sentiment.
  • gadgetmind
    Options
    I'm sure Russia will have its day, but will anything you invest in today make it through the mayhem?
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • gadgetmind
    Options
    10848063_779158118805599_6489500336107856556_n.jpg?oh=c796e90a7925aa1dcbe064548c490a56&oe=550BF0DA&__gda__=1430567522_6cbcdb7af79086b419fd2ae3e79936bd

• Kendall80
    Kendall80 Posts: 965 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 December 2014 at 8:26PM
    Options
    The last time the Neptune Russia fund was this low it gained 250% in just 1.5 years.

If I've the time later i'll research what the oil price was doing at that point.

Edit: It was very similar to todays values. Even dipping lower for a few months into the 40s.
  • Mistermeaner
    Options
    Someone should launch an 'imploding market' fund to cover these sort of situations.

I can imagine the fact sheet summary

'This fund aims to buy shares in the most wartorn unstable regions around the world on basis that they surely can't get any lower, God willing and with a whole lot luck returns could be amazing. Or they might not. Investors should expect sleepless nights and should have minimum investing horizon of 86 years. Total capital loss due to regime change and asset seizing by dictatorships is probably the best you can hope for'
    Left is never right but I always am.
  • IronWolf
    IronWolf Posts: 6,423 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone know of any Russian Investment trusts trading at a discount to NAV? I like to leverage my upside :)
    Faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just checked morningstar - up 7.8% today!
  • Kendall80
    Options
    oil/gas, metals and mining sectors all up it seems according to CSD. The US fed is leaving rates alone too so there maybe a boost in equities.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure