Do I have any rights against my vets?

Options
My kitten's normal food is a very pink colour, and I noticed what looked like blood in her faeces last week. Long story short, as she was acting completely normally I decided to first change her food to see if that was the reason before taking her to the vets to have various tests done. After changing it, the colour returned to normal and has been clear of any abnormalities for several bowel movements.

I intend to put her back onto her normal food but consulted my vet to explain, and ask whether if it were to reoccur, could I have a sample tested to ensure there was no blood present. Initially I was told she would need to be examined as a sample might not be the most appropriate action. I reiterated the whole colour of the food logic, and was then told no because "it would be expensive". I said I didn't care about price, and they then went on to say that I should bring her down to get an antibiotic jab.

This isn't what I believe is in her best interest. I have absolutely no reason to believe, having been monitoring her very closely and examining her bowel movements over the past few days, that it is down to anything but the food, but obviously I want to confirm this. It seems illogical from both a welfare and financial point of view to have her examined, blood tested and scanned to potentially find nothing wrong. I would be more than happy to take the advice of the vet but only after establishing that there is even definitely a problem at all.

Whilst I am not trained in animal medicine, I am still my kitten's owner and a paying customer so shouldn't I, within reason, get to choose the treatment plan for my animal particularly if I have good reason? Having a sample analysed is in no way invasive and requires minimal effort from my vet other than sending it off and interpreting the results.

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 October 2016 at 10:11PM
    Options
    Your are not a vet. You seem to have done this over the phone to avoid a consultation?!

Would you go to your doctor and tell him to give you tests without an examination?

Take your vets advice .
  • powerful_Rogue
    Options
    My kitten's normal food is a very pink colour, and I noticed what looked like blood in her faeces last week. Long story short, as she was acting completely normally I decided to first change her food to see if that was the reason before taking her to the vets to have various tests done. After changing it, the colour returned to normal and has been clear of any abnormalities for several bowel movements.

I intend to put her back onto her normal food but consulted my vet to explain, and ask whether if it were to reoccur, could I have a sample tested to ensure there was no blood present. Initially I was told she would need to be examined as a sample might not be the most appropriate action. I reiterated the whole colour of the food logic, and was then told no because "it would be expensive". I said I didn't care about price, and they then went on to say that I should bring her down to get an antibiotic jab.

This isn't what I believe is in her best interest. I have absolutely no reason to believe, having been monitoring her very closely and examining her bowel movements over the past few days, that it is down to anything but the food, but obviously I want to confirm this. It seems illogical from both a welfare and financial point of view to have her examined, blood tested and scanned to potentially find nothing wrong. I would be more than happy to take the advice of the vet but only after establishing that there is even definitely a problem at all.

Whilst I am not trained in animal medicine, I am still my kitten's owner and a paying customer so shouldn't I, within reason, get to choose the treatment plan for my animal particularly if I have good reason? Having a sample analysed is in no way invasive and requires minimal effort from my vet other than sending it off and interpreting the results.

If you don't like their advice, change you vet.

My dog was doing "jellied like poo's" - Told the vet and he recommend Chappie dog food. He's been on it for 5 years with no further issues. - Just shows food can play a lot, especially if they have a dicky stomach.
  • veryconfused20
    veryconfused20 Posts: 62 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 October 2016 at 10:21PM
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    Your are not a vet. You seem to have done this over the phone to avoid a consultation?!

Would you go to your doctor and tell him to give you tests without an examination?

Take your vets advice .

I'm not a vet, but I am a (human) medical professional and someone who has some common sense to understand that different foods can have an effect on your bowels.

So I'm not allowed to phone my vet and speak to their reception prior to making an appointment?

If I wanted a test done that my doctor was not prepared to refer me for, I would pay to have it done privately seeing as I'm within my right to do that.

Edit: And yes, if I was peeing blood then I would expect my doctor to test my urine before giving me an cystoscopy, seeing as there is very little you would be able to tell from just doing a routine physical exam.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not a vet, but I am a (human) medical professional and someone who has some common sense to understand that different foods can have an effect on your bowels.

So I'm not allowed to phone my vet and speak to their reception prior to making an appointment?

If I wanted a test done that my doctor was not prepared to refer me for, I would pay to have it done privately seeing as I'm within my right to do that.

Edit: And yes, if I was peeing blood then I would expect my doctor to test my urine before giving me an cystoscopy, seeing as there is very little you would be able to tell from just doing a routine physical exam.

What you actually said in your op was that you wanted a test and they said he needed an examination instead.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Options
    "Do I have any rights against my vets?"

What rights? Have they performed any unauthorised procedures that they wish to charge you for?

If they have just given professional advice that you don't agree with (though you are unqualified) then your right is to go elsewhere until you find a vet you feel happier to treat your pet.

It's also advisable to take out insurance.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Your cats food is 'very pink?'

What are you feeding her?
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 October 2016 at 10:51PM
    Options
    Your cats food is 'very pink?'

What are you feeding her?

63059011_0_640x640.jpg?identifier=7ffcff1e63f33a5903927d180bb28156

Just a guess. ;)

OP, would this thread be better placed on The Pets & Pet Care Board?
  • maninthestreet
    Options

After eating beetroot and visiting the toilet a few hours later, I'm convinced I've had a haemorrage....
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • NotRichAtAll
    Options
    After eating beetroot and visiting the toilet a few hours later, I'm convinced I've had a haemorrage....

this tickled me
    :rotfl:
  • skyeblue
    skyeblue Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    By the sounds of it you spoke to a receptionist, possibly a nurse, rather than an actual vet.

You have no basis for any action, you do not say that you have returned to the pink food, to see if the effect is the same. The whole story is full of hypotheticals!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure