Outlook email - how to move from deleted folder

Options
It may sound stupid, but I accidentally 'emptied' my inbox into my deleted. Now I can't find an easy way to move it all back. I have 10s of thousands of emails from the last 10 years or so I need to move back into my inbox and outlook's not making it easy.

I've tried to 'recover emails' but it wants me to choose each email. I just want to move them all back.

If I try to highlight all it won't let me right click and move to another folder. Anyone know of anyway to mass move thousands of emails from my deleted folder into my inbox (or a new folder). I need to do it before they get deleted from my deleted folder!!! I have important documents like travel information for holidays.etc and going through all emails will take forever!!!

Comments

• grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    edited 12 October 2016 at 9:14AM
    Options
    EDIT: I've just deleted my post because you cannot select All deleted items and Move to in outlook.com...
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I assume you are talking Outlook.com, as grumpycrab suggests, and not Office Outlook (thanks yet again, Microsoft, for giving two different things the same ruddy name)?

In the latter, it should be easy to highlight, right-click and move.
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks Biggles. The post made me realise I have the Windows Mail app and I'm currently moving them all into another folder now!

It's still showing as deleted in the online outlook, but I'm hoping it's just not updated yet... I will look later it does have 10s of thousands of emails to process!
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Options
    When I last used Outlook Express, to move emails in bulk you just selected one of them then hold down the left shift key and press either the down arrow (to add more emails one at a time) or the page down key (to add loads more emails in one go) then, when you have selected enough, simply drag them from where they are to the required folder.

Don't know about the app but this might still work in the newer versions of Outlook.

Once you have got it sorted make a backup of your saved or inbox folder.
  • Biggles
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Biggles wrote: »
    I assume you are talking Outlook.com, as grumpycrab suggests, and not Office Outlook (thanks yet again, Microsoft, for giving two different things the same ruddy name)?
    Sharon87 wrote: »
    Thanks Biggles. The post made me realise I have the Windows Mail app and I'm currently moving them all into another folder now!
    Haha, OK, yes, so that's three different things with the same name, well done again, Microsoft!
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Its all the same thing.

Just different ways to access them.

outlook.com is just web access , the outlook client is just a desktop client for your outlook.com mailbox
  • Biggles
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    Its all the same thing.

Just different ways to access them.

outlook.com is just web access , the outlook client is just a desktop client for your outlook.com mailbox
    But it does create confusion every time someone asks for 'help with Outlook'.

And the Office Outlook email client, of course, is quite different from outlook.com, in that it can handle all your email addresses, rather than just outlook/hotmail.
  • AndyPix
    Options
    I agree - people need to be more specific in what they ask for help with.

ie "the outlook program on my computer" or "the outlook website"
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Options
    This used to work in Outlook Express - don't know about current versions though

WARNING - BACK UP YOUR FOLDERS BEFORE YOU DO THIS

1. Find out where Outlook stores your emails and what file name and extension it gives them.
    For example
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Locating-the-Outlook-data-files-0996ECE3-57C6-49BC-977B-0D1892E2AACC

2. Fire up Outlook and create a new folder.

3. Close Outlook and navigate to where it stores the files.

4. Rename the Deleted Items file(s) - change the extension to whatever you like - it is most likely .PST, make it something like .AAA

5. Rename your new folder file as the Deleted Items.

6. Rename the old Deleted Items files to your new folder and don't forget to add the correct extension.

7. Fire up Outlook and you should see whatever was in the Deleted Items folder is now in the new folder which you created, and Outlook will show the Deleted Items folder which should either be empty or have what, if anything, you put in your new folder.
  • AndyPix
    Options
    2001 called, it wants its email client back !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure