No generation since 3rd August!

Options

Comments

• Oscargrouch
    Oscargrouch Posts: 4,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    lstar337 wrote: »
    System was installed start of 2014. Is it likely to be covered by the installer?
    Found a warranty card in the Samil manual, not filled out.
    I would be inclined to find out who the installer was, then see if they are still in business. I think though all of this would need the person who paid for the system to do the negotiating. At the end of the day, the Inverter was bought from Samil by the installer, who then sold and fitted it for their customer; leaves them 'holding the baby' so to speak...HTH...coffee.gif
    2.5 kWp PV system, SSW facing, 45 Deg Roof. ABB Inverter, Monitor: 'Wattson'.
    Reg. for FIT Nov 2011. "It's not what you generate; it's how you use it that matters". One very clean Vauxhall Diesel Sri, £30.00 Road Tax: B)

Definition of 'O's = kWh/kWp (kWh = your daily & accurate Generation figure) (kWp = the rated output of your PV Panels).
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have been told the installation was done by the original electrician for the house, they did all the wiring from the meter right through to the solar panels.

They are (so far) ignoring all calls and messages from the letting agent.

Hopefully something will start to move soon. The letting agent seems to be working pretty hard but the electrician is known to be pretty rubbish once he deems a job complete.
  • lstar337
    Options
    I'm being told the original installers are being a pain (they are useless with everything tbh), is it possible to just buy an inverter and get another electrician (not the original installers) to fit it? would that satisfy everything regarding fit payments and whatever?

I'm thinking of suggesting to the letting agent that they go this route.
  • theboylard
    theboylard Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 September 2017 at 2:59PM
    Options
    Yes to your questions - new inverter has no effect on FiT (apart from ensuring that the landlord earns them!)

As Samil have gone bust, and it's a relay fault so likely terminal, and as most things these days are not "serviceable", I would suggest you communicate to both Landlord and Agent in same email that they buy a new inverter, which should just be a straight swap out by a qualified sparky.

If they want to maintain the warranty on the new inverter though, then I'd suggest they source a new installer who installs the new inverter, it has no effect on the FiT for the landlord and means they aren't tied to someone who isnt interested.
    4kWp, SSE, SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    Now with added Sunsynk 5kw hybrid ecco inverter & 15kWh Fogstar batteries. Oh Octopus Energy too.
  • lstar337
    Options
    theboylard wrote: »
    As Samil have gone bust, and it's a relay fault so likely terminal, and as most things these days are not "serviceable", I would suggest you communicate to both Landlord and Agent in same email that they buy a new inverter, which should just be a straight swap out by a qualified sparky.
    Thanks.

What about setup? A regular sparky may not be able to do this I'm guessing, is that why you think another installer would be the best option?

No doubt the letting agent will go for a 'cheap option' inverter if possible, but I think I would like an SMA (Sunny Boy) or something. Do you think it would be sensible to put forward this as a suggestion, or is there something better suited?
  • theboylard
    Options
    Any sparky that is Part P qualified is more than capable of undoing the approx 4 connections, taking the inverter off the wall, put the new mounting plate up (unlikely to be able to use the original fixings for a different brand inverter), hang new inverter, recconect cables, power up and run through setup screen, they are very user friendly these days so even a sparky can understand!!

Honestly, the sparky is only required to ensure the electrical connections meet current regs - you'll need some help physically as the inverters are around the 25-30kg mark but you can change it yourself as long as a sparky signs the work off!!!

Cheapest option is buy a used inverter that is still under warranty and take out an extended warranty with the manufacturer - it just so happens my Schuco branded SMA SunnyBoy 3300 is available :)
    Honestly, it's in the garage sitting on the floor after I retrofitted SolarEdge. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, just weighs a ton so thats why it's never moved!!!
    4kWp, SSE, SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    Now with added Sunsynk 5kw hybrid ecco inverter & 15kWh Fogstar batteries. Oh Octopus Energy too.
  • lstar337
    Options
    Any sparky that is Part P qualified is more than capable of undoing the approx 4 connections, taking the inverter off the wall, put the new mounting plate up (unlikely to be able to use the original fixings for a different brand inverter), hang new inverter, recconect cables, power up and run through setup screen, they are very user friendly these days so even a sparky can understand!!
    I was thinking more of the configuration. Don't they have software to configure to make sure the system performs correctly?
    Honestly, the sparky is only required to ensure the electrical connections meet current regs - you'll need some help physically as the inverters are around the 25-30kg mark but you can change it yourself as long as a sparky signs the work off!!!
    SMA say the Sunny Boy is only 9kg!
    Cheapest option is buy a used inverter that is still under warranty and take out an extended warranty with the manufacturer - it just so happens my Schuco branded SMA SunnyBoy 3300 is available :)
    Honestly, it's in the garage sitting on the floor after I retrofitted SolarEdge. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, just weighs a ton so thats why it's never moved!!!
    If it was up to me I would buy it in a heartbeat. :o
  • theboylard
    Options
    I was thinking more of the configuration. Don't they have software to configure to make sure the system performs correctly?

You don't have to be an installer - anyone can install a solar system, as long as it meets the relevent elctrical standards and complies with local DNO operating conditions. You will need someone to sign off on the electrical standards bit, hence the sparky requirement.

The setup for my SolarEdge replacement, took less than 4 minutes after power on, so I'd say nothing overly complex!!
    SMA say the Sunny Boy is only 9kg!

That might be the cardboard box it comes in!!
    If you search for the data sheet for the SMA Sunny Boy 3300, on page 68/76, 11.2 Techinical data it lists it as 38kg!!
    If it was up to me I would buy it in a heartbeat. :o

It's here if they want it!! :rotfl:
  • lstar337
    Options
    That might be the cardboard box it comes in!!
    If you search for the data sheet for the SMA Sunny Boy 3300, on page 68/76, 11.2 Techinical data it lists it as 38kg!!
    The innovative design of the Sunny Boy 1.5/2.5 is not only easy to install, but also allows for quick DC and AC connections. For example, because it weighs just 9 kg, it can be suspended from just two screws, with no additional wall mounting bracket.
    https://www.sma.de/en/products/solarinverters/sunny-boy-15-25.html
    It's here if they want it!! :rotfl:
    I'll keep that in mind. If it get's me up and running again and helps you out at the same time, then it's gravy as far as I am concerned. ;)
  • theboylard
    Options
    That's a brand new inverter with all the cost associated - I don't know your install details so I don't know if that would be appropriate for your case as it supports upto 2650W.
    Data sheet for Sunny Boy 1.5/2.5
    A UK seller is selling for £589 ex VAT plus delivery

Data sheet for Sunny Boy 3300/3800
    page 68

As it's doing nothing apart from sitting on the floor in the garage, I'm not after mega bucks for it £50 squid plus carriage, or collect.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure